X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thraalbee
    Knight
    • Sep 2010

Unmappable vault

I just posted a screenshot of a vault that resists mapping. I guess this is an embedded maze that by design is unmappable (which I like). However, I'd prefer that the outer perimeter was still mapped.

Comment

• Sphara
      Knight
      • Oct 2016

I had a Stonefoot Warrior dropping a Shovel of Earthquakes. Now this is a brand (well not a brand, the real brand there is acid, but you get the idea) I have basically never used for melee. But now, found early, being (+11, +11) <+3> STR, it obviously became my main weapon. Despite the dungeon scrambling, I thought.

My question is: why doesn't earthquake trigger at all? I fought over 20 levels with it and the quake never happened. I'm not saying I like earthquake effect on a weapon, just want to know why is there a gimmick on a weapon that never activates.

Played (and died) on angband.live 4.2.3.

Comment

• Thraalbee
        Knight
        • Sep 2010

I'm fairly sure you need to go over a certain amount of damage to trigger a quake which is easy enough for Grond but far less so for a mere shovel.

Comment

• Thraalbee
          Knight
          • Sep 2010

x k -- nothing happens (rogue_like_commands)

Using "x" to look around while using rogue_like_commands seems broken for "k" which should move the cursor upwards. All seven remaining directions works as before though.

Comment

• Sphara
            Knight
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Thraalbee
            I'm fairly sure you need to go over a certain amount of damage to trigger a quake which is easy enough for Grond but far less so for a mere shovel.
            I assumed something like this. It did around 50-60 acid dmg per turn average, so it was a great find for a half-elf rogue. In hindsight, it was even greater because the quake never did occur.

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Thraalbee
              Using "x" to look around while using rogue_like_commands seems broken for "k" which should move the cursor upwards. All seven remaining directions works as before though.
              Yes, this was fixed in the nightly releases a couple of days after 4.2.3 came out.
              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                Knight
                • May 2007

Hey Nick....one thing im noticing that is a little confusing is that whenb you go to purchase a book at a bookstore and you are playing one of the hybrid classes in my case a blackguard there dosent appear to be anything telling you that you cant use a spellbook...i bought the 2nd book of necromancy spells just to realize i couldnt use it or read it..some display comment when trying to browse or purchase a book you cant use for your class would be appreciated thanks.

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Malak Darkhunter
                  Hey Nick....one thing im noticing that is a little confusing is that whenb you go to purchase a book at a bookstore and you are playing one of the hybrid classes in my case a blackguard there dosent appear to be anything telling you that you cant use a spellbook...i bought the 2nd book of necromancy spells just to realize i couldnt use it or read it..some display comment when trying to browse or purchase a book you cant use for your class would be appreciated thanks.
                  You can tell by examining the book in the shop - if it doesn't say you can read it, then you can't.

Agreed, though, it's a bit unfriendly - I'll file a bug.
                  One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                  In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Kooltone
                    Scout
                    • Jun 2021

Originally posted by Nick
                    You can tell by examining the book in the shop - if it doesn't say you can read it, then you can't.

Agreed, though, it's a bit unfriendly - I'll file a bug.
                    I agree that there should be some noob friendly and obvious way to tell if you can read a spellbook in the store. I kept purchasing worthless books because I didn't know about the x command until a couple of days ago.

By the way Nick, keep up the good work! I'm sure maintaining game code originally written in the 90s is a pain in the neck at times.
                    Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                      Knight
                      • May 2007

so Targeting is feeling really odd to me, Granted i havent played since 4.0.5 and I really like a lot of the changes, took me awhile to figure out the targeting issue when targeting enemies that are not in numbad selection. I usually do " * " to target and then numpad 5 to fire, this does not seem to work...now it is " * " and arrow keys to move around and " t " to fire...just seems very strange to me and im wondering what brought about that change.

Comment

• Thraalbee
                        Knight
                        • Sep 2010

brand ammo should(?) learn rune OR remove info leak in spell

Casting ranger spell brand ammo does not result in learning the brand rune. If it results in an unknown brand, the message still clearly states which brand you created but the ammo stack rune still identifies as ?

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                          Knight
                          • May 2007

dosent appear to be a way of managing ammo....bolts for instance i picked up a stack of bolts and they display in the inventory but you can't seem to drop or examine them only shoot them

Comment

• backwardsEric
                            Knight
                            • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Malak Darkhunter
                            dosent appear to be a way of managing ammo....bolts for instance i picked up a stack of bolts and they display in the inventory but you can't seem to drop or examine them only shoot them
                            Ammunition is placed in the quiver, unless it's already full. Most commands default to showing a menu for the pack, but you can switch to a menu for what's in the quiver by pressing '|'. In other words, in the original key set, you can press 'd', then '|', to select something from the quiver to drop.

Comment

• bron
                              Knight
                              • May 2008

Thrown Shots are doubled?

I just started a character on Angband Live, and it currently has a bunch of Iron Shots in the quiver, but no sling (or other launcher). I have the "show damage" interface option turned on, and I notice that when I hit something with a thrown ("v") Shot, the damage done is 2x, i.e. it is 2,4,6, or 8, and not 1,2,3, or 4.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                                Prophet
                                • Apr 2008

A stupid question: did anyone recently experienced a problem with identify + reordering? I remember this issue but I was sure it was fixed:

- in inventory: a scroll of WoR, some unidentified scrolls, a robe +1 (??) and a robe +4 (??)
                                - read one of the unidentified scrolls, it's identify rune, use it on one of the robes, identifying it as robe of resist fire (the other one identified later reveals to be robe of resist lightning)
                                - pack reorders
                                - "you have no more scrolls of WoR", char gets recalled instead of using one of the identify rune scrolls

I tried to reproduce this manually (with wizard mode), but was never able to do so
                                PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎