X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smbhax
    Swordsman
    • Oct 2021

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
    FYI this was reported here: https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband/issues/534

Apparently there is a bug with SDL2 client which also happens in V.
    That was this change

* Mac: use angband_color_table[0] for clearing rather than RGB(0, 0, 0). Matches current behavior of the Windows front end. * SDL, SDL2, X11: in response to TERM_XTRA_REACT also reset backgroun...

related to resolving a dungeon background refresh problem when playing with a color-editor-edited background color:

Found in Angband 4.2.3, Windows version Go to Option, Edit Colours, Modify colors, and edit Color 0 ("Dark") Notice that the screen background changes to the edited Dark color--except only in spots...
    My Angband videos

Comment

• Bogatyr
      Knight
      • Feb 2014

What is the most effective way to recharge stacks of wands/staves?
      1) to maximize # of charges while minimizing chances of backfire
      2) to absolutely minimize chance of backfire

Does it make any sense at all to drop them one by one at zero charges each and to charge them one at a time and then pick them all up? In my subjective experience, this satisfies both #1 and #2. It also seems that if there are less than 3 charges per wand in the stack, that one cast of recharge seems not to backfire more than the long drop-one-at-a-time technique.

Does power level of the spell enter in to the backfire rate? I'm like to know both for a mage and for a rogue (the latter seems to have a max power level of 6? At least around clev 30...?)

Comment

• PowerDiver
        Prophet
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Bogatyr
        What is the most effective way to recharge stacks of wands/staves?
        1) to maximize # of charges while minimizing chances of backfire
        2) to absolutely minimize chance of backfire
        You have the best chance of avoiding a backfire if the number of charges is strictly less than the number of wands. It depends on your access to recharge and the likelihood you pick up more items how best to proceed.

(a) Recharge whenever charges < stack size
        (b) Wait until all are 0, and then drop and recharge separately on the ground.

Usually I prefer (b), but e.g. for teleport other I usually do (a).

When I have a big stack, e.g. stone to mud, I may recharge stuff a la (b) even with 1 or 2 charges, planning on keeping only a subset anyway. Sometimes you don't care if 1 or 2 blow up.

This is a real annoyance, and one of the things I repeatedly miss from my ancient mods is doing rod/wand/staff stacking correctly.

Comment

• Bogatyr
          Knight
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by PowerDiver
          You have the best chance of avoiding a backfire if the number of charges is strictly less than the number of wands. It depends on your access to recharge and the likelihood you pick up more items how best to proceed.

(a) Recharge whenever charges < stack size
          (b) Wait until all are 0, and then drop and recharge separately on the ground.

Usually I prefer (b), but e.g. for teleport other I usually do (a).

When I have a big stack, e.g. stone to mud, I may recharge stuff a la (b) even with 1 or 2 charges, planning on keeping only a subset anyway. Sometimes you don't care if 1 or 2 blow up.

This is a real annoyance, and one of the things I repeatedly miss from my ancient mods is doing rod/wand/staff stacking correctly.
          I'm referring to mages/rogues, with infinite recharge available. That's interesting about # charges < # wands, I didn't know that. I seem to have settled on (a) keep recharging while # charges < (3 * # wands), but for really important/rare ones like annihiliation or speed I wait for zero. My (a) seems to work fine for the low level wands like slow and stone to mud. I'm also more careful with stun and hold since they're dungeon only and a bit more rare.

Comment

• PowerDiver
            Prophet
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Bogatyr
            That's interesting about # charges < # wands, I didn't know that.
            The point is the silly interpretation that the charges continually migrate from items with higher charges to items with fewer charges. The game interprets n wands with n-1 charges to be n-1 wands of 1 charge each plus 1 wand with 0 charges, and assumes you are recharging the 0 charge wand.

Comment

• PowerDiver
              Prophet
              • Mar 2008

Also, while rogues get unlimited recharge, it is not ever good as recharge scrolls. If you really care about a staff of banishment, use scrolls to recharge it if you can. I don't remember when the mage spell achieves equality, but it's probably a pretty high CL.

Comment

• Bogatyr
                Knight
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by PowerDiver
                Also, while rogues get unlimited recharge, it is not ever good as recharge scrolls. If you really care about a staff of banishment, use scrolls to recharge it if you can. I don't remember when the mage spell achieves equality, but it's probably a pretty high CL.
                Also didn't know that, thanks! A reason to keep the scrolls around

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎