Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grotug
    Veteran
    • Nov 2013

After playing a bunch of games without any issues, my last game started to have some lag. Finished that game and started another one and the lag was still there. So I restarted my computer. At first the lag was gone but then it returned and now, for some inexplicable reason, the lag is worse, and now the beachball of death comes on the screen for about 15 seconds or so.
    Playing 4.2.3. on MacOS Big Sur 11.6
    Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Hounded
      Adept
      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by AndyXuma
      Hi all, new player here! I recently started playing Angband, and got a bit confused regarding the birth_ai_learn option. The documentation reads, "This option makes the game very difficult and is not recommended." However, I see that this is the default, and most players that I saw on the Ladder seem to play with it enabled. Should the documentation be updated?
      I always play with it on but that's likely the product of experience. When my kid started playing I turned it off for her so she could develop some comfort with the game without it being quite so challenging right off the bat (it's still difficult enough).
      It Breathes. You die.

Comment

• Chud
        Swordsman
        • Jun 2010

Sorry if this has already been reported... unless I'm blind and just missing it, I have a level with no down staircase. Fortunately I'm not playing ironman so I can just go up again, but this would be a problem with must-descend on... :-)

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Chud
          Sorry if this has already been reported... unless I'm blind and just missing it, I have a level with no down staircase.
          This is an old bug that was assumed fixed - thanks for reporting.
          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• AndyXuma
            Rookie
            • Jan 2022

Pete, Hounded, thanks for the explanations!

Comment

• backwardsEric
              Knight
              • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Grotug
              After playing a bunch of games without any issues, my last game started to have some lag. Finished that game and started another one and the lag was still there. So I restarted my computer. At first the lag was gone but then it returned and now, for some inexplicable reason, the lag is worse, and now the beachball of death comes on the screen for about 15 seconds or so.
              Playing 4.2.3. on MacOS Big Sur 11.6
              Is only Angband showing the delayed response or do you see it in other applications as well? You might check sections in the console log (Utilities->Console; "Spin Reports" or "Log Reports" may be the most interesting) on the off chance that has something useful. If you open a Terminal window and run 'top' what does it say about the active processes? Changing the sort key in top (by pressing 'o' and then entering what to sort on; 'cpu' is the default; 'faults' or 'rsize' may be interesting) may help indicate what the cause is.

Comment

• Selkie
                Swordsman
                • Aug 2020

If a ranger is poisoned and casts the resist poison spell he remains poisoned - shouldn't it also cure the poison?

Comment

• smbhax
                  Swordsman
                  • Oct 2021

Originally posted by Selkie
                  If a ranger is poisoned and casts the resist poison spell he remains poisoned - shouldn't it also cure the poison?
                  And render their Cure Poison spell obsolete? = D EDIT Oh right that was replaced by that funny-sounding Herbal Curing and now all the FAQs are out of date.
                  My Angband videos

Comment

• Selkie
                    Swordsman
                    • Aug 2020

Originally posted by smbhax
                    And render their Cure Poison spell obsolete? = D EDIT Oh right that was replaced by that funny-sounding Herbal Curing and now all the FAQs are out of date.
                    Well the main thing herbal curing does is cure poison (it also cures black breath, but that's so niche and used to appear in the second spell book IIRC). I just feel if you're becoming resistant to poison it should also cure it. Not a big deal, but I did wonder if it was an oversight.

Comment

• Estie
                      Veteran
                      • Apr 2008

Is the nightly available anywhere ? The rephial page says "under construction" :

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Estie
                        Is the nightly available anywhere ? The rephial page says "under construction" :

https://rephial.org/nightlies
                        Yep, it's here.

Comment

• Estie
                          Veteran
                          • Apr 2008

Thanks Nick!

Comment

• mrfy
                            Swordsman
                            • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Nick
                            Yep, it's here.
                            Just curious, no updates since January 19th?

I'm assuming you're taking a much needed break.

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mrfy
                              Just curious, no updates since January 19th?

I'm assuming you're taking a much needed break.
                              There are actually a bunch of updates (mainly from backwardsEric) that I need to pull in. I'm planning to do that pretty soon, and pretty soon after that release 4.2.4.

I'm not exactly taking a break; more like sidetracked.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                                Prophet
                                • Apr 2008

FYI this was reported here: https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband/issues/534

Apparently there is a bug with SDL2 client which also happens in V.
                                PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎