X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrfy
    Swordsman
    • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Estie
    ad 1: Those two are the main offenders; uniques could be less frequent and hounds of Tindalos are also in the "destruct or leave level" category. Nether worms turn vaults into simple pits. I dont know if it would solve, but it would go a long way.
    I don't want uniques to be less frequent, I want to find them all and kill them.

Agree about hounds (Tindalos, Time, Aether, etc), they are annoying and sometimes are not worth dealing with. Nether worms I never find to be a problem. Black reavers though...

Plus, I agree with someone's suggestion that high-level dragons (Sky, Great Wyrm of Balance, Many Colours) should be made rarer, and perhaps live natively below level 100.

Generally speaking, you could do interesting things on a level; now, everything thats left is destruct or banish.
    Disagree. But perhaps my play style is different than yours. I like to kill monsters and take their treasure rather than relying on stealth.

Comment

• AceRimmer
      Scout
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Estie
      Alternatively, place Morgoth on dlvl 75.
      Ooooh, I like this. Well, actually, what I'm thinking is: why shouldn't monsters have a small but non-negligible chance of summoning Morgoth? Who's to say he never ventures out of the dungeon depths just to see how things are going on the upper levels? Keeping the underling in line? Okay, so it would probably ruin the game-play, but he would be the ultimate out-of-depth monster summon.

Comment

• mrfy
        Swordsman
        • Jul 2015

I'm noticing that every time I fire an arrow, I get the message: "You combine some items in your pack.". This is with multiple bundles of regular arrows (+0,+0) loaded in the quivers.

Looks like it is correctly firing from quiver #0, and then replacing that arrow with one from another quiver to keep the number loaded at 40. But it probably doesn't need to announce the message every time.

Perhaps it has been like this for a while, but seems like an annoying bug.

Playing the latest nightly.

Comment

• ewert
          Knight
          • Jul 2009

Killing uniques is the main thing I do, so making them rarer sounds like a real annoying idea to me.

I agree that tunnelers are a bit too common. Why would balrogs tunnel, that one I don't get at all. Umber hulks, storm of unmagic, sure, balrogs? Why?

Because tunnelers break tactics so badly, it is a bit masochistic to fight them, I still often do it because I like fighting not being a janitor. I do feel though that because of tunneler problem, graveyards go from risky/leechy/drainy fights to okay bye I am outta here once black reavers are mixed in.

The mass banish/banish/cheese tactics, outside of abstaining, my personal opinion still is to put gear items in vaults into random picks of the top mobs in the vault ...

Comment

• archolewa
            Swordsman
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by ewert

The mass banish/banish/cheese tactics, outside of abstaining, my personal opinion still is to put gear items in vaults into random picks of the top mobs in the vault ...
            I was going to say this unfairly punishes Rogues, who dont have access to banishment cheese, but still arent tough enough to take on many top mobs. But then I realized this would make the otherwise useless steal xommand, and steal-and-teleport spell worth using...

Though this definitely hurts every other class really badly. Nobody can really fight Reavers, Greater Balrogs, or Wyrms without using way too many consumables. I think vaults would end up becoming shiny things you ignore.

Comment

• Julian
              Adept
              • Apr 2021

Originally posted by archolewa
              Though this definitely hurts every other class really badly. Nobody can really fight Reavers, Greater Balrogs, or Wyrms without using way too many consumables. I think vaults would end up becoming shiny things you ignore.
              In my last win (warrior), I was totally fighting Reavers and Wyrms without worrying too much about consumables.

Balrogs were enough of a pain that I didn’t bother.

Comment

• archolewa
                Swordsman
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Julian
                In my last win (warrior), I was totally fighting Reavers and Wyrms without worrying too much about consumables.
                Standarts or Randarts? I play Standarts, and the only time I can chew through Reavers and Wyrms is when In playing a Blackguard with Deathwreaker or Doomcaller.

Comment

• backwardsEric
                  Knight
                  • Aug 2019

Originally posted by mrfy
                  I'm noticing that every time I fire an arrow, I get the message: "You combine some items in your pack.". This is with multiple bundles of regular arrows (+0,+0) loaded in the quivers.
                  That was a change in 4.2.3 to resolve https://github.com/angband/angband/issues/4882 : with stacks of 40 and 10 similar items using one from the stack of 40 would give a "You have 39 ..." message but a (silent) recombining of the pack would leave stacks of 40 and 9 which some felt was confusing. Firing from the last stack (highest numbered quiver slot) of the (+0, +0) arrows would avoid the recombining message, though that's admittedly less convenient since the slot number of the last stack can change while firing.

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

The latest release from the releases page has the following changes to monsters:
                    • Abyss worm masses, hasty ents, hounds of Tindalos, Makar and storms of unmagic are rarer;
                    • Greater Balrogs, Lungorthin and Gothmog no longer tunnel.
                    Let's see how that goes. I have some ideas about making monster pathfinding less effective, but would like to get an idea of how things stand now first.
                    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• will_asher
                      DaJAngband Maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nick
                      The latest release from the releases page has the following changes to monsters:
                      • Abyss worm masses, hasty ents, hounds of Tindalos, Makar and storms of unmagic are rarer;
                      • Greater Balrogs, Lungorthin and Gothmog no longer tunnel.
                      Let's see how that goes. I have some ideas about making monster pathfinding less effective, but would like to get an idea of how things stand now first.
                      Why do hasty ents tunnel at all? That doesn't really makes sense to me. (It makes a lot more sense for balrogs than it does for ents imo. For RubberBand, I took KILL_WALL off of ents and most balrogs, but left it on Lungorthin and Gothmog.)
                      Will_Asher
                      aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
                      http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by will_asher
                        Why do hasty ents tunnel at all? That doesn't really makes sense to me. (It makes a lot more sense for balrogs than it does for ents imo. For RubberBand, I took KILL_WALL off of ents and most balrogs, but left it on Lungorthin and Gothmog.)
                        "An angry Ent is terrifying. Their fingers, and their toes, just freeze on to rock; and they tear it up like bread-crust. It was like watching the work of great tree-roots in a hundred years, all packed into a few moments." - Merry.
                        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• will_asher
                          DaJAngband Maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nick
                          "An angry Ent is terrifying. Their fingers, and their toes, just freeze on to rock; and they tear it up like bread-crust. It was like watching the work of great tree-roots in a hundred years, all packed into a few moments." - Merry.
                          I stand corrected.
                          Will_Asher
                          aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
                          http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• ewert
                            Knight
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by archolewa
                            I was going to say this unfairly punishes Rogues, who dont have access to banishment cheese, but still arent tough enough to take on many top mobs. But then I realized this would make the otherwise useless steal xommand, and steal-and-teleport spell worth using...

To be fair, I don't think any class should be considered as unable to kill stuff. Some are just faster as they lack utility.

But you would still have the consumables in the floor. Often you might lack consumables, and cheesing the vault floor will be quick source of those.

Comment

• Sphara
                              Knight
                              • Oct 2016

What's with huge failure percentage activating worn items as a warrior? Have things changed or was it really always like this?

Ring of Ice and Blue Dragon Scale Mail have 62% failure playing XL25 Dunadan Warrior. Those items are not overly powerful and they have long recharge period. Warrior already gets lower damage using devices.

Comment

• archolewa
                                Swordsman
                                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by ewert
                                To be fair, I don't think any class should be considered as unable to kill stuff. Some are just faster as they lack utility.

But you would still have the consumables in the floor. Often you might lack consumables, and cheesing the vault floor will be quick source of those.
                                Ehhh... not in my experience. The only times I've ever had to grind beyond the point of boredom was in the endgame when I was low on consumables. And I got low on consumables because I was too aggressive.

And I suppose what I mean by "can't really kill them" what I mean is "can't kill them without either burning through way too many consumables, or putting yourself at way too high risk of dying."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎