Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideways
    Knight
    • Nov 2008

I'm getting crashes on level-gen semi-regularly and trying to figure out what's up with them by messing around offline.

Figured out at least one reason for the "object property not recognized" error, get_property() has no code for handling the ignore flags (like "ignore electricity") but there's an ignore electricity call in choose_type().

Edit: Rings of the Elements cause crashes on gen because of the off-weapon brands, this line for processing them accesses unallocated memory. (Also, the element-ring activations RING_ELEC and RING_COLD need to have their descriptions swapped around.) It seems like this is the main reason for the crashes, I replaced that line with "append_brand(&obj->brands, pick);" and I'm now getting far fewer crashes. I do think there's still at least one other crash that's much rarer, it gives error messages for a failed assertion in rand_div() on z-rand.c line 169 (where it asserts that m <= 0x10000000) but it's so rare I'm having trouble reproducing it. Will go after it in the morning if you don't find it first.
    Last edited by Sideways; July 25, 2020, 00:32.
    The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• MITZE
      Swordsman
      • Jan 2017

Report Batch #10

Two-handing: Certain weapons have the the " two-handed wielding needed" rune. Firstly, there's minor formatting typos there, secondly, there doesn't seem to be anything different in wielding them--in FA IIRC you had to put your shield on your back when you wielded a weapon with both hands, which did something to the bonuses you'd be getting from the shield, but here, it doesn't seem like there's a difference between a weapon that's two-handed and one that is not.

Hallucination: The game correctly informs you what you're attacking, and walk over, when you are hallucinating.
      Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MITZE
        Mattocks: Mattocks do not appear to have a digging bonus attached to them, outside whatever their weight provides.
        Diggers have an innate digging ability - shovels +1, picks +2, mattocks +3 - aside from any magical bonus to digging. If you look at how quickly they dig stuff it should be much better than an equivalent weight weapon.

Two-handing: Certain weapons have the the " two-handed wielding needed" rune. Firstly, there's minor formatting typos there, secondly, there doesn't seem to be anything different in wielding them--in FA IIRC you had to put your shield on your back when you wielded a weapon with both hands, which did something to the bonuses you'd be getting from the shield, but here, it doesn't seem like there's a difference between a weapon that's two-handed and one that is not.
        Yes, the actual gameplay difference is yet to be implemented

Hallucination: The game correctly informs you what you're attacking, and walk over, when you are hallucinating.
        I think this is standard in V. Maybe the Z-likes have a better implementation.

Issues page updated, 64 currently, will try to get at least a few knocked off this weekend.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sideways
          IEdit: Rings of the Elements cause crashes on gen because of the off-weapon brands, this line for processing them accesses unallocated memory.
          It seems like this is the main reason for the crashes, I replaced that line with "append_brand(&obj->brands, pick);" and I'm now getting far fewer crashes.
          Thanks, done. Quite incredible that I made that function as it is for that purpose, and then failed to use it.

I do think there's still at least one other crash that's much rarer, it gives error messages for a failed assertion in rand_div() on z-rand.c line 169 (where it asserts that m <= 0x10000000) but it's so rare I'm having trouble reproducing it. Will go after it in the morning if you don't find it first.
          Possibly this is actually the same problem, but for slays (a few lines down from where you found the last one). More likely though it's some bad call to randint0() (or randint1()) where it's been fed a silly (probably negative) value.

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

OK, fixed the outstanding crash bugs (I think), but now there are 67 open issues so clearly I can't count.

Comment

• Sideways
              Knight
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Nick
              OK, fixed the outstanding crash bugs (I think), but now there are 67 open issues so clearly I can't count.
              Am I hallucinating this, or should the chest level fix be "MIN(obj->kind->level, 55)" rather than MAX?

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Am I hallucinating this, or should the chest level fix be "MIN(obj->kind->level, 55)" rather than MAX?
                No, that's correct

Comment

• MITZE
                  Swordsman
                  • Jan 2017

Nargothrond DL55

Game freezes on me when I attempt to enter Nargothrond DL55, presumably because of something related to Glaurung.

Comment

• wobbly
                    Prophet
                    • May 2012

Game freezes on me when I attempt to enter Nargothrond DL55, presumably because of something related to Glaurung.
                    Not sure if it is the issue, but Glaurung is depth 75 with a force_depth flag so I've been wondering if he will actually gen or not.

Comment

• MITZE
                      Swordsman
                      • Jan 2017

Stair Detection

Not sure if it's intentional and/or limited to the Detect Stairs spell in the mage realm, but Detect Stairs doesn't seem to detect wilderness exits (but it will detect dungeon stairs just fine).

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by wobbly
                        Not sure if it is the issue, but Glaurung is depth 75 with a force_depth flag so I've been wondering if he will actually gen or not.
                        Yeah, that was it, fixed now.

Also detect stairs is currently intended not to detect wilderness exits, we'll see how that goes.

Several other fixes by the awesome backwardsEric pushed to Github and angband.live:
                        • Probable fix for most of the "Egos not getting bad stuff" problem
                        • Fix to the birth screen HP problem
                        • Another fix also in V that means @ notices secret doors on their first turn on the level as for every other turn

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

More fixes made and pushed:
                          • Glaurung can now generate (I hope), and has less HP
                          • Fix by Sideways to negative resists not happening as often as they should (#73)
                          • Fix to high dragons not dropping anything (#87)
                          • Fix by backwardsEric allowing access to birth options from quickstart
                          • Fix to web placement in valleys (#80)
                          • Adjust wands of Dragon's Breath (etc) so they get the device skill boost (correct now after 4 attempts)

That's probably it for this weekend.

Comment

• Sideways
                            Knight
                            • Nov 2008

I think I know now what's causing the Maim Foe issues. For some reason Maim Foe is designed to be used with targets rather than directions, even though it only works against adjacent monsters. Since it is much more intuitive to use directions I do that a lot, and it results in the weird partial success of issue #71. The fix should be to support directions And maybe review whether getting stunned should automatically wake up monsters.

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

I think I know now what's causing the Maim Foe issues. For some reason Maim Foe is designed to be used with targets rather than directions, even though it only works against adjacent monsters. Since it is much more intuitive to use directions I do that a lot, and it results in the weird partial success of issue #71. The fix should be to support directions And maybe review whether getting stunned should automatically wake up monsters.
                              Maim is actually implemented as a short beam, so directions should be fine. I'll have to test. And yes, I think stunning should wake monsters.

EDIT:Ignore that, I'm an idiot.
                              Last edited by Nick; July 26, 2020, 13:08.

Comment

• MITZE
                                Swordsman
                                • Jan 2017

Ego Maluses

The fix that supposedly enabled mixed blessing egos to receive their maluses appears to have not taken--at least, I looked at a weapon of Angband and a hat of Trollkind and I still see no maluses, aside from curses on the Angband weapon that are nominally removable.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎