X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MITZE
    Swordsman
    • Jan 2017

Repeatable Crash

Have crashes, I think they're related to shapeshifters (not sure whether it's the specific monster or monster shapechangers in general) trying to do something. When I paid attention to the last action before a crash it was a shapeshifter "intoned strange words."
    Last edited by MITZE; July 22, 2020, 12:48. Reason: Added info.
    Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• Sideways
      Knight
      • Nov 2008

My randart Iron Helm supposedly activates for 7d40 healing, but activating it actually does nothing. (As far as I can tell, activating it also doesn't trigger any timeout, so I can immediately activate it for nothing again the next turn.)

Summons and breeder offspring seem to at least sometimes spawn asleep; is that a bug, or an intentional way to tone down summon danger even more? (Edit: MITZE says even hounds and vortices are spawning asleep, both as summons and as non-summons.)
      Last edited by Sideways; July 22, 2020, 13:41.
      The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sideways
        Might be MITZE's shopping/rune-forgetting bug rather than my bug, MITZE's bug can cause weirdness with the ID'ing of "unknown" runes because they are actually already ID'd.
        Yes, likely.

Originally posted by MITZE
        Does the "chance of choosing the wrong direction" thing still apply if the monster uses an innate ability like breaths/webs/boulders/whatever? I'm not positive that it does and it feels like it should.
        It does for missiles, doesn't (but agree, should) for breaths, and webs are directionless.

Issues page updated again, 61 open now
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• wobbly
          Prophet
          • May 2012

only 61? Surely we can do better then that.

I didn't see Mitze mention it, but he easily cleared a weapon of Angband of all its curses.

Also major bug: Vorpal Bunnies are missing from the monster list.

Comment

• MITZE
            Swordsman
            • Jan 2017

Report Batch #7

Elvenkind Ego: The flavor seems to imply that Elvenkind will gen with resist to the elements (Acid, Elec, Fire, Cold) and one other element (any other resist than those just listed). What it actually appears to gen with is rBase, plus a random resist which may in fact be something it already got. Either the extra resist flag is wrong or the flavor text needs changed.

Comment

• Sideways
              Knight
              • Nov 2008

Tried to re-enter Amon Rudh 30 by stairs with Mim dead, same result as MITZE's attempt by recall. Amon Rudh 30 just doesn't generate properly with no Mim. (Update: I do have Mim properly displayed in my monster lore, unlike MITZE.)

I managed to temporarily assume the shape of a red dragon through a DSM activation (so that activation worked at least!). It had no effect on my rFire though, I even still had the racial vulnerability from being an ent, or at least was displayed as having it.

Silver Crowns are displayed as yellow, like V's golden crowns (and unlike old FA's silver crowns, which were properly displayed as silvery).
              Last edited by Sideways; July 22, 2020, 22:02.

Comment

• Sideways
                Knight
                • Nov 2008

I got a mysterious "error -- object property not recognized" upon recalling home from Nargothrond 39. No idea what that was in reference to.
                (Edit: I looked into it a bit. This is a total guess, but my suspicion is that this is pushing high resists over the edge like the other high-resist bug did, thereby causing this error message.)

A high-elf animist successfully shapeshifted into a mumak, who was then displayed as a high-elf mumak! (I did not notice similar behavior earlier when a druadan druid shapeshifted into a scorpion.)

Did get some seemingly shapeshifter-related crashes later, and also a mystery crash on attempting to enter Nargothrond 41, only happened that one time so will be very hard to reproduce.
                Last edited by Sideways; July 23, 2020, 13:22.

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MITZE
                  Elvenkind Ego: The flavor seems to imply that Elvenkind will gen with resist to the elements (Acid, Elec, Fire, Cold) and one other element (any other resist than those just listed). What it actually appears to gen with is rBase, plus a random resist which may in fact be something it already got. Either the extra resist flag is wrong or the flavor text needs changed.
                  Yes, flavor text there is still the original from O, even though the extra has been to be more of one of the base resists since FA0.3.0.

I got a mysterious "error -- object property not recognized" upon recalling home from Nargothrond 39. No idea what that was in reference to.
                  (Edit: I looked into it a bit. This is a total guess, but my suspicion is that this is pushing high resists over the edge like the other high-resist bug did, thereby causing this error message.)
                  Yes, I don't know what I was thinking.

A high-elf animist successfully shapeshifted into a mumak, who was then displayed as a high-elf mumak! (I did not notice similar behavior earlier when a druadan druid shapeshifted into a scorpion.)
                  LOL

Issue page not updated, another day.

Comment

• Sideways
                    Knight
                    • Nov 2008

I am still getting "error -- object property not recognized", so something else must be also causing that bug (unless it's somehow being triggered by me...)

Not sure what that something else would be; I'm unclear on why this uses i for stats but i+1 for sustains, but even if that is an error, I'd expect it to overflow in a way that doesn't cause this bug. Maybe you can tweak the error message to include more identifying data (in a way that won't itself cause the game to crash)?
                    Last edited by Sideways; July 23, 2020, 17:14.

Comment

• MITZE
                      Swordsman
                      • Jan 2017

Report Batch #8

Curses: Various things about the curse system need tweaking/rebalancing. Certain threshholds of curse power have no distinguishable reason for existing (the 41-50 range for instance; since the lesser Scrolls of Remove Curse are 1d20+20 and I think the greater ones are 1d50+50, there's no difference between a power 41 curse and a power 49 curse. Unless the holy casters get curse removal that gradually covers that range?). Staves of Remove Curse have the same power as the lesser scrolls, but the latter is available in unlimited quantities in the [5], so there's no point to the former either. Lastly, an RFE for curses themselves: have the power of the curse have some measurable effect on how it affects the player (curses that randomly proc do so more often with higher power curses, the mixed blessing curses scale the blessing with the power and the drawback more aggressively so, ect.).

Mattocks: Mattocks do not appear to have a digging bonus attached to them, outside whatever their weight provides.

Potions of Dragon Breath: Show up too late and do too little damage to be worth messing with at depth.

Randarts: Not something that I cared about, but you seemed to, so for posterity randarts have lackluster flavor text ("Random foo of power 1750").

Dwarven Shield Ego: Is missing its flavor text. Again mentioned for posterity, you were debating on eliminating it entirely.

Mature Dragons: The various mature dragons do not seem to have any drops; not sure if that's intentional, but it's noticeable since the worms drop 4 and the drakes drop 6 that the dragons drop nothing.

Comment

• Sideways
                        Knight
                        • Nov 2008

To add to what MITZE said about curses, the mixed-blessing curses probably need to be rebalanced for percentage resistances; steelskin, for instance, is much more of a blessing than a curse in FAA.

Glaurung is now a level 75 monster and much buffer than in old FA, yet he still inhabits Nargothrond 55. That's not necessarily a problem if characters like MITZE's are the FAA norm, but my @ needs to get a lot buffer before fighting him.

RFE: would be very nice if each town had a consistent seed for the duration of a game. It would both be more realistic (buildings do move about in reality I suppose, but not that fast!) and reduce the considerable annoyance of having to re-find all the shops every time since you'd eventually remember where everything is. (Another way to reduce that annoyance would be to make shop entrances easier to spot.)

the the in "the so-and-so shimmers and changes!" isn't properly capitalized.

Comment

• Sideways
                          Knight
                          • Nov 2008

The game crashed when I used my last ?recall to get back to Belegost, and now I'm stuck in some kind of hybrid Nargothrond/Belegost with no ?recall. The game seems to think I'm in Belegost Town, but the layout and the monsters are still those of the dungeon level I "left". Taking any stairs predictably crashes the game due to the game's confusion about where I actually am. Recall might or might not solve the situation, but I don't have any and there isn't any on this level; basically, @ is screwed.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Savefile is here:
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Sideways
                              Knight
                              • Nov 2008

Thanks, Nick!

--

A few quick notes:

- monster.txt has "name:lords of misrule" where it should be "plural:lords of misrule"
                              - the last 3 curses in curse.txt have capitalized descriptions, resulting in things like "It Drains your experience"
                              - the birth screen is buggy for races who don't start at CL 1, at least the character's displayed max HP is much lower than the actual birth HP and seems too low even for a notional CL 1 birth

Comment

• MITZE
                                Swordsman
                                • Jan 2017

Report Batch #9

Scrolls of Dispel Undead: Same as Potions of Dragon Breath, they show up too deep and are too weak to be messing with.

Message output: "hits the Druadan illusionistDruadan ."

Runes: Not sure whether this is a bug or not; several rune effects seem to have multiple runes attached to them. Experience drain, for example is listed under both curse runes and other runes in the knowledge menu. I just found a helm of the shadow realm, where I didn't know the experience drain rune. Read a scroll of identify rune, learned it, but when I put on the helm to test it out, the game told me I learned the rune again after doing so.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎