X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by thapper
    FA1.13 has crashed for me couple of times during character creation.
    My guess is it's not related to the going backwards - it's random artifact generation failing to finish. I've seen this before, but thought I had removed what was causing it. I will check again.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• buzzkill
      Prophet
      • May 2008

I've also experienced a crash or two while wandering the wilderness. I can't point to any specific action or cause, but it's uncharacteristic of FA, which has always been undeniably stable for me. It's a good thing that the auto-save is rockin'.
      www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
      My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• thapper
        Adept
        • Aug 2008

Speaking of things I thought you had removed:

I killed "Nick the Spirit" on one level only to find him again (or at least he called out to me again) a few levels later.

And a shop had two separate slots with "XX potions of cure light wounds (50% off)" so they weren't stacking properly.

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by thapper
          I killed "Nick the Spirit" on one level only to find him again (or at least he called out to me again) a few levels later.
          This is still intended behaviour - as long as there aren't two on the same level.

And a shop had two separate slots with "XX potions of cure light wounds (50% off)" so they weren't stacking properly.
          This isn't.

Comment

• LostTemplar
            Knight
            • Aug 2009

Still some bugs remains with quest monsters.
            Monster memory shows Sauron alive, and his shapesifting forms dead after killing him, should be all of them dead.
            Staircase does not appear after killing Morgoth, but it appears after leaving and returning to dlvl 100.

Comment

• buzzkill
              Prophet
              • May 2008

FA 1.1.3

Bug: When wielding a (un-ID'd) robe {excellent}, the character screen shows all stats sustained.
              Bug: When setting a trap on a grid containing an item, you are prompted "Destroy all items and set a trap [y/n]?" but pressing n doesn't work, nor does pressing [esc].

Oddity: Darts (1d5) weigh more than (well-balanced) daggers (1d4). Darts (1d7) weigh more than darts (1d5).
              Oddity: Found a ring of physical prowess (+5) {perilous} +5 to STR, DEX, CON, sustains DEX, causes occasional hallucination, non-sticky (not very perilous).

Request: Grey out monsters (monster list) that are sleeping.
              Request: Change items list to the ] key, for continuity with V. Move (seldom used) shape change/un-shape change to some other key press/control key combo.

Crazy request: Make (known) scrolls of trap creation useful to rogues and other trap setting classes.
              Crazy request: Give rogues the ability to "sneak", or essentially (% chance) push past a sleeping monster without waking it.
              www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
                Bug: When wielding a (un-ID'd) robe {excellent}, the character screen shows all stats sustained.
                OK, thanks.

Bug: When setting a trap on a grid containing an item, you are prompted "Destroy all items and set a trap [y/n]?" but pressing n doesn't work, nor does pressing [esc].
                Doesn't work how? It should just abandon the trap-setting attempt.

Oddity: Darts (1d5) weigh more than (well-balanced) daggers (1d4). Darts (1d7) weigh more than darts (1d5).
                These darts are not like dartboard darts. From Wikipedia:
                Code:
                In Europe, short but heavy-pointed darts were sometimes used in warfare. 
                These had a length of about 30 to 60 cm (0.98 to 2.0 ft) and resembled an arrow with a long head and short shaft.
                Oddity: Found a ring of physical prowess (+5) {perilous} +5 to STR, DEX, CON, sustains DEX, causes occasional hallucination, non-sticky (not very perilous).
                Any jewellery with a drawback is perilous; any other is excellent.

Request: Grey out monsters (monster list) that are sleeping.
                Yes, monster list is still fairly basic.

Request: Change items list to the ] key, for continuity with V. Move (seldom used) shape change/un-shape change to some other key press/control key combo.
                No! V should change it's Johnny-come-lately itemlist to some key that's not used in several variants for shapechange. Beornings use shapechange a lot, as do high-level necros and druids.

Crazy request: Make (known) scrolls of trap creation useful to rogues and other trap setting classes.
                Hm. Maybe. An occasional monster trap appearing among the player ones might be interesting.

Crazy request: Give rogues the ability to "sneak", or essentially (% chance) push past a sleeping monster without waking it.
                Again, maybe.
                Last edited by Nick; April 29, 2010, 10:45.

Comment

• buzzkill
                  Prophet
                  • May 2008

Doesn't work how? It should just abandon the trap-setting attempt.
                  There is no abandoning the trap setting attempt. Your only (viable) option is "yes".

Comment

• buzzkill
                    Prophet
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by buzzkill
                    OK, I was wrong. It is perilous, very perilous. Apparently IDing it and being told that "you know all the enchantments" doesn't mean "you know all the curses". It has a rather nasty curse that nearly killed me. I contemplated for a while whether or not I'd continue to use it. Then it nearly killed me again, and yet I continue to use it. Thanks for all the refreshingly agonizing fun. I'm looking forward to more of the same.

I've a bit of an sadistic streak in me, so I don't object to potentially deadly curses silently kicking in without the notifying th player. As I said, it's refreshing. OTOH, I wouldn't object to a cryptic in game message like "You feel a heavy weight placed upon you", so long as removing the item doesn't immediately cancel the curse (I don't know if this is current functionality or not). If not, then maybe destroying the item could immediately end the cursed effects.

You might also consider making items of this type sticky, but only when the cursed effects are active.

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Sounds like everything is working *exactly* as I intended

Comment

• eeeickythump
                        Rookie
                        • Apr 2010

Really good, refreshing variant. Question: is there any way to get the level 20 & 40 special abilities when playing in no-wilderness mode?

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by eeeickythump
                          Really good, refreshing variant. Question: is there any way to get the level 20 & 40 special abilities when playing in no-wilderness mode?
                          In FA you get the special abilities for beating the dungeon guardians. In dungeon only mode, they will be at their usual levels - and you will get a message when you go onto one of these levels.

Comment

• thapper
                            Adept
                            • Aug 2008

I have been wondering for a while, what does shadow cloaks do exactly (apart from being cloaks with higher AC)?

EDIT: I just found a ring of utility

A ring designed to make your life a little easier

It is cursed. You know all the enchantments on this object.
                            No positive enchantments at all (and it wasn't marked as perilous).
                            Last edited by thapper; April 10, 2010, 11:27.

Comment

• LostTemplar
                              Knight
                              • Aug 2009

I have found several rings, named as 'ring of speed' but without any speed bonuses.

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

All rings and amulets have a (small) chance to just be bad, which reverses a bunch of stuff on them and removes some good properties. My guess is that that is what happened to the utility one, and I'll have to check about the speed.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎