X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Arralen
    First, IIRC, I don't use jewelry from the shops, but a helmet only.
    Second, actually, when FA crashed, I had used the very same jewelry for the whole dive, clearing out the level, and maybe even before.
    Sorry, I didn't explain properly. My guess is that the crash (well, hang really) is in jewellery generation - the game is trying to generate an item, and somehow gets into a state where the generation routine goes into an infinite loop. This can happen at any time, because from time to time (regardless of where the player is) stores are refreshed and new items are generated. So the reason you can't reproduce the crash is that you would have to do *precisely* the same thing from the save state, otherwise the RNG will be in a different state and the hang won't happen.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Arralen
      Swordsman
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Nick
      This can happen at any time, because from time to time (regardless of where the player is) stores are refreshed and new items are generated. So the reason you can't reproduce the crash is that you would have to do *precisely* the same thing from the save state, otherwise the RNG will be in a different state and the hang won't happen.
      So there's no chance to replicate the bug, unless it appears 1 step after a doing a save ... good luck on that one

I'll have to save more often than I already do, I guess

Ok, or maybe not so ok, but not that bad, either:

The Hounds "AI" seems to have slight glitch ... if the "@" moves into a rooms corner, it seems to rate it "more dangerous", or "behind cover" or something. Check the screenshot - as soon as I went into the corner, the "Z" retreated into the corridors, and came out to attack (again) when I left. Sometimes they need 1 turn of "5" movement in between to come out or retreat again, but generally this behaviour seems to appear consistently!
      (savegame attached)
      Attached Files
      No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
      Never. Ever.

Comment

• LostTemplar
        Knight
        • Aug 2009

Why paladin is so weak with all types of ranged attacks, while not being exellent in melee, is it intended to be a hard class to play ?
        All other half fighter classes have actually slightly weaker combat skills than a warrior but higher device skill and have some spells, rangers are even better with missiles then warrior for no visible reason.
        While magic mastery is so powerfull and easy to obtain it is not a problem really, but seems slightly strange.

Comment

• Atriel
          Apprentice
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by LostTemplar
          Why paladin is so weak with all types of ranged attacks, while not being exellent in melee, is it intended to be a hard class to play ?
          All other half fighter classes have actually slightly weaker combat skills than a warrior but higher device skill and have some spells, rangers are even better with missiles then warrior for no visible reason.
          While magic mastery is so powerfull and easy to obtain it is not a problem really, but seems slightly strange.
          Have to disagree here.
          Paladin is pretty hard to start, but with the right choice of perks and after finding the right weapon, Paladin is *definitely* the *strongest* melee fighter in [O] and [FA]. A fully buffed, endgame Paladin deals more damage than anything else, melee-wise. And they also get some very cool utility magic.

Yeah, they suck at anything ranged, and there's some difficulties to reach "ultimate power".
          Last edited by Atriel; April 27, 2010, 00:08.

Comment

• LostTemplar
            Knight
            • Aug 2009

Maybe, but I care about early game more then about lategame, after stat gain melee is good for any character. Nice, that someone think paladin is great. I was playing my warriors mostly as archers, so I started paladin in the same style, shooting everything, but at some point missiles just begin to miss allmost every time. So I just palyed it in a wrong way.
            Killed Mim with missiles anyway, not that bad after all.

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Gosh, I can't imagine playing FA as a warrior with missiles. Between Fury and Shield Bash, why would you waste time on shooting? As for Mim--he's a pushover for a Warrior, even with throw-away equipment that you don't care about disenchanting.

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Well, now you've got me thinking:
                1. I've been concerned for a while that Assassins' mele is overpowered. Maybe I should nerf it a bit, and improve Paladins.
                2. Actually, Paladins have the pointy penalty to deal with as well.
                3. The pointy penalty is silly.
                4. Maybe I should have weapons work like in Steamband, where monsters can be more or less vulnerable than normal to stabbing, slashing or crushing weapons.
                5. And ghosts are hard to hit with any weapon.
                6. Maybe that could be a more sensible definition of a blessed weapon - it can hit incorporeal things.
                7. Damn, this makes sense and will be a nightmare to implement.

Comment

• LostTemplar
                  Knight
                  • Aug 2009

Everybody here like melee so much, I never had any character, who survive long enough without using ranged attacks against all dangerous monsters. Have to play more with this fury/fast attacking warriors, and maybe learn how to keep them alive.

Maybe I should have weapons work like in Steamband, where monsters can be more or less vulnerable than normal to stabbing, slashing or crushing weapons.
                  Btw weapons already have different effectiveness due to slays and brands, no need to change mechanics, just adjust values maybe add more slays. Otherwise combat system may become too complicated.
                  Last edited by LostTemplar; April 27, 2010, 10:51.

Comment

• Atriel
                    Apprentice
                    • Aug 2007

Melee chars also need to carry a stack of ?phase, but not to run away... to give them time to quaff a bunch of CMW/CCW ^^
                    Also, terrain preparation / use is much more important.

Comment

• Saegor
                      Rookie
                      • May 2010

Hello all (excuse my bad english, i'm european)

first, thanks to nick for his super game. i play faangband (0.36) on DS and it's a pure happiness

but for the versions 1.0/1.1 : don't work, kaput totalystke, i try to create new hero and it freeze at post-crea load (town). if i try to import from 0.36, it smoke grass (all item chars [slays all monsters and elem-protects from all] ? Oo')

and : if i save when low battery -> shutd it make a broken savefile (ciao my paladin l35)

and : if i commit suicide (in game, never tried IRL), wait for shutdown
                      and restart, the R4 loader once collapsed (suddenly no games chooser, all files deleted Oo'x2)

and : how -- HOW do yo make a so good version of a roguelike for a DS ? a pact with the devil ? you save the sense of this world, man !

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Saegor
                        but for the versions 1.0/1.1 : don't work, kaput totalystke, i try to create new hero and it freeze at post-crea load (town). if i try to import from 0.36, it smoke grass (all item chars [slays all monsters and elem-protects from all] ? Oo')
                        I will check this when I get the chance. 1.1 certainly has problems with hanging, which I think will be fixed when I update (which will happen soon).

and : if i save when low battery -> shutd it make a broken savefile (ciao my paladin l35)
                        Is this because it shuts down due to low power while saving? I don't think I can do anything about that.

and : if i commit suicide (in game, never tried IRL), wait for shutdown
                        and restart, the R4 loader once collapsed (suddenly no games chooser, all files deleted Oo'x2)
                        I don't think FA would cause this.

and : how -- HOW do yo make a so good version of a roguelike for a DS ? a pact with the devil ? you save the sense of this world, man !
                        I had help, and copied other people's stuff.

Comment

• Saegor
                          Rookie
                          • May 2010

I will check this when I get the chance. 1.1 certainly has problems with hanging, which I think will be fixed when I update (which will happen soon).

*update* *soon*

Is this because it shuts down due to low power while saving? I don't think I can do anything about that.
                          yes it is. maybe a check-new-save-before-replace-old ?

I don't think FA would cause this.
                          i thought it was maybe* a problem due to delete-save-and-shutd end lines

I had help, and copied other people's stuff.
                          "L'important n'est pas tant l'ingrédient que la maničre de le mélanger."
                          Last edited by Saegor; May 3, 2010, 14:45.

Comment

• buzzkill
                            Prophet
                            • May 2008

I can activate the artifact daggers in my quiver/throwing belt, WAD?
                            www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                            My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
                              I can activate the artifact daggers in my quiver/throwing belt, WAD?
                              Yes, although I'm not sure if it should be.

Also, I should have 1.1.4 (bugfix) out in the next few days, and probably an FA comp next.

Comment

• timolien
                                Rookie
                                • May 2010

FAangband and NDS compilation

Also for FAangband (as for Vanilla), I attempted to compile an NDS build, but get stuck on the fact that the current NDS code requires old (no longer available) libnds version (everything from 1.4.0 upwards does no longer compile because the IPC struct is no longer supported in 1.4.x).
                                Sadly older versions 1.3.X are no longer downloadable.

Does anyone still have libnds 1.3.x (and possibly other required components to go together with old libnds version like older devkitpro : I don't know whether I can just drop in an old libnds into a recent devkitpro) ?

Updated NDS code which actually compiles with libnds 1.4.x would offcourse even be better.

Please let me know : I can download it or provide a place to upload to if necessary.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍