• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arralen
    Swordsman
    • May 2007

Originally posted by thapper
    I just found a ring of utility
    No positive enchantments at all (and it wasn't marked as perilous).
    Now that's strange.
    I have one here in the BM at Gondolin with CLvl 23 that reads:

Activation: magic shield every 400 turns
    +2 to dexterity, +2 to searching, slows metabolism, induces feather falling

.. so at least sometimes they seem to work ok

Btw., I'm having serious trouble getting out of Gondolin: without the old "standard resists rings", and absolutly no armour with resists to be found, I got fried several times right on the doorsteps to the city ... no way to get to the next, or more distant levels.
    During those 127k turns to lvl 23 I got several ego weapons, which I sold, but absolutly no ego/artifact armor, shields, amulets etc.(Only exception is an Amulet of Doom in the Magic Shop, which I'm quite reluctant to use, despite those +55% acid, +50% elec and +55% cold resists ...).
    So things get a bit ... boring ... now, as all I can do is scum that level and run from anything that breezes, zaps etc.

Ok., just as I write this, a "Soft Studded Leather {good}" drops , which IDs as "of Resistance [5,+5]" with +55% elec. resist
    Last edited by Arralen; April 10, 2010, 23:35.
    No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
    Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Arralen
      Now that's strange.
      I have one here in the BM at Gondolin with CLvl 23 that reads:

Activation: magic shield every 400 turns
      +2 to dexterity, +2 to searching, slows metabolism, induces feather falling

.. so at least sometimes they seem to work ok
      There's a lot of variation.

Btw., I'm having serious trouble getting out of Gondolin: without the old "standard resists rings", and absolutly no armour with resists to be found, I got fried several times right on the doorsteps to the city ... no way to get to the next, or more distant levels.
      Advanced races are hard

Ok., just as I write this, a "Soft Studded Leather {good}" drops , which IDs as "of Resistance [5,+5]" with +55% elec. resist
      So I guess you are playing a pure spellcaster. "of Resistance" as of about 0.3.0 means has 1 or more resists.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Storch
        Scout
        • Sep 2008

I enjoyed this enormously. It is like diving but with the option to safely return home. I hope it will stay in FAA.

If you want a strong race and safe first levels, try Maia.

Comment

• Arralen
          Swordsman
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Nick
          So I guess you are playing a pure spellcaster. "of Resistance" as of about 0.3.0 means has 1 or more resists.
          Yes, I'm playing a High-Elf Mage.
          But why does it only pseudo as {good}?
          I'm pretty sure I had some weapon show up as .. dunno .. {excellent} or something. At least it was definitly unlike "{good} => [+1,+1]". Guess I'll have to pay closer attention ..

myself:Btw., I'm having serious trouble getting out of Gondolin: without the old "standard resists rings", and absolutly no armour with resists to be found, I got fried several times right on the doorsteps to the city ... no way to get to the next, or more distant levels.
          Nick:
          Advanced races are hard
          Storch:
          If you want a strong race and safe first levels, try Maia.
          My problem is not the difficulty, but the apparent disparity between drops: In 127k turns I got ~10 weapons, 2 rings, 1 gauntlet, 1 body armour ... no amulet, no shoes, no helmet etc.
          This is very similar to what I experienced when I tested the BM using the "new BM is generated each time it is entered"-bug: tons of weapons, very few jewelry, next to no armour.
          Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

My problem is not the difficulty, but the apparent disparity between drops: In 127k turns I got ~10 weapons, 2 rings, 1 gauntlet, 1 body armour ... no amulet, no shoes, no helmet etc.
            I don't know of any reason for this apart from just luck, but will think about it.

This is very similar to what I experienced when I tested the BM using the "new BM is generated each time it is entered"-bug
            Which bug is that?

Comment

• Zikke
              Veteran
              • Jun 2008

I noticed on my FA warrior that I also took a very long time to get a full set of gear (not end-game gear, but just a wearable set). I chalked it up to luck.
              A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
              A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
              C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Arralen
                Swordsman
                • May 2007

Which bug is that?
                One you fixed some time ago.
                Looked through my notes, but couldn't find it mentioned anywhere - what does not mean much, as I havn't kept most bugnotes from the various versions.

Basically, at least it looked like a new BM was generated each time the player entered, resulting in some overflow after 50 tries ("out of shops" or something..). Was a great way to test the item distribution.

Or was this an [Un]bug ?!
                I'm really getting confused at times
                Never. Ever.

Comment

• Arralen
                  Swordsman
                  • May 2007

I don't know of any reason for this apart from just luck, but will think about it.
                  Now, at 170k turns, I finally found (Lo and behold!!):
                  - "Pair of Leather Sandals {good}" .. which turned out [1, +4] as a drop on Sirion 28, and on the BM
                  - "Hard Leather Cap of the Shadow Realm [2, +8] <+3 to stealth>" .. which most likely will kill me with some hidden curse

In the same timespan, I found several {good} weapons, and a Quarterstaff of Burning, and a Broken Sword of Doriath ... so the odds still look like 3:1 in favour of weapons, which are o.c. mostly useless to a mage
                  Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

- "Hard Leather Cap of the Shadow Realm [2, +8] <+3 to stealth>" .. which most likely will kill me with some hidden curse
                    The curses on that are shown - which doesn't mean they won't kill you

Comment

• Arralen
                      Swordsman
                      • May 2007

The curses on that are shown - which doesn't mean they won't kill you
                      Yeah, but only after I put it on, and it drained the first 5 XP ... not in the shop, not in the inventory, and even not right after equipping it.
                      IMHO, those "standard curses" should be shown for items avaible in the shop ...

Btw., I don't think it's possible that "drains XP" is going to kill my @ ... unless the RNG gets really creative?!
                      Never. Ever.

Comment

• Derakon
                        Prophet
                        • Dec 2009

Assuming FA is like other *band games in this respect, drain-experience is not worth worrying yourself over unless you're fairly low-level (below level 25 or so), because you gain experience much faster than it drains away.

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Yeah, but only after I put it on, and it drained the first 5 XP ... not in the shop, not in the inventory, and even not right after equipping it.
                          IMHO, those "standard curses" should be shown for items avaible in the shop ...
                          Yes, that's probably a bug. They should get shown when you have ID'd that ego type, and it should be ID'd when it's in the shop.

Comment

• Storch
                            Scout
                            • Sep 2008

Armour

I agree that it seems much harder to find decent armour in FAA compared to V. It feels harder to cover resists. In V I feel "better equipped" most of the time.

It is perharps only a feeling caused by small things like finding the first armour "of Resistance" and identifying it.

Comment

• Arralen
                              Swordsman
                              • May 2007

Yes, that's probably a bug. They should get shown when you have ID'd that ego type, and it should be ID'd when it's in the shop.
                              There seem to be some more trouble with IDing ego types:
                              On West Beleriand 19 I found a "Malachite Amulet {dubious}" (yeah, my first amulet!!), which IDed as "Amulet of Insight <-6>":
                              Code:
                              A green malachite amulet.
                              This amulet gives you vision of that which would otherwise be hard to see.

It gives -6 to your strength, -6 to your dexterity and -6 to your constitution. You know all the enchantments on this object.
                              Amulets slip around your neck, and almost all have magics wondrous or perilous bound inside

(Press any key to continue.)
                              Other that -6 seems a bit excessive, especially on CON, to warrant any use, making it the usual "throw me away"-item, I'm missing any mentioning of
                              Code:
                              I:SEE_INVIS | TELEPATHY | SEEING
                              Never. Ever.

Comment

• buzzkill
                                Prophet
                                • May 2008

Yep, I'd agree, things are a little out of whack right now. I recently found something that had DEX (-10). Enjoy it while you can.
                                www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                                My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍