X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werbaer
    Adept
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by kineahora
    [...] I found Draguht to be *way* too deep to be of any use. By the time I found any I was long maxed out on my stats.
    Playstyle. I just checked in which depth i maxxed my stats with my last 5 winners (different classes):
    4100', 4850', 4900', 4900', never (not in that order)
    The character which maxed out at 4100' was a dwarf mage who had trouble finding any +Int gear (playstyle - my mages never melee)

Comment

• Selkie
      Swordsman
      • Aug 2020

My clvl 18 HE paladin just bought himself an iron helm of wisdom (+1). When I wear it, it takes my Wisdom from 10 to 11. But my spell points go down from 11 to 8. I get no "the armour encumbers your movement" notification.

What's going on?

Comment

• backwardsEric
        Knight
        • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Selkie
        My clvl 18 HE paladin just bought himself an iron helm of wisdom (+1). When I wear it, it takes my Wisdom from 10 to 11. But my spell points go down from 11 to 8. I get no "the armour encumbers your movement" notification.

What's going on?
        Each of the spell-casting classes has a maximum weight of armor (body armor, shield, helm, boots, gloves, and cloak) that can be worn without imposing a penalty on the amount of spell points. If your character exceeds that maximum by a pound or more, you'll get the "armor encumbers your movement" message (I'm guessing why you didn't see it is when you put on the helm is that your characters existing equipment was already over the limit), and your character's maximum spell points will be decreased by one for every pound of armor your character is carrying over the limit. The weight limit is fixed (so no adjustment for strength). It is 40 pounds for a paladin. The weight limit is configured by the 2nd field in the "magic:" line for the class in class.txt.
        Last edited by backwardsEric; December 9, 2021, 16:10. Reason: explain possible reason for no "encumbers" message

Comment

• Selkie
          Swordsman
          • Aug 2020

Now that makes sense. I was wearing metal brigandine armour I'd found early on.

Comment

• Selkie
            Swordsman
            • Aug 2020

Can anybody help? Playing 4.2.3 Paladin.

Every time I kill Tseuklas the Dreadlord in single combat it crashes and I'm locked in.

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Can anybody help? Playing 4.2.3 Paladin.

Every time I kill Tseuklas the Dreadlord in single combat it crashes and I'm locked in.
              IIRC there have been fixes to Single Combat since 4.2.3. If you have a savefile post crash, I can probably fix that too.
              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Selkie
                Swordsman
                • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Nick
                IIRC there have been fixes to Single Combat since 4.2.3. If you have a savefile post crash, I can probably fix that too.
                I never have any luck with single combat. Eventually it breaks my game.

How can I attach a savefile please?

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

How can I attach a savefile please?
                  When you reply, there's a section below for additional options. Compress your savefile, then choose the "manage attachments" button and select the zipped file.

Comment

• Selkie
                    Swordsman
                    • Aug 2020

Thanks Nick, much appreciated.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• backwardsEric
                      Knight
                      • Aug 2019

Selkie, here's a version of Lona's savefile that should be fixed.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by backwardsEric
                        Selkie, here's a version of Lona's savefile that should be fixed.
                        I think I'm officially obsolete now

Comment

• Selkie
                          Swordsman
                          • Aug 2020

Thanks Eric. It worked, but strangely after I killed Tseuklas I was sent to a different area of the map, not where I'd cast Single Combat. Not that it mattered.

I continued playing and levelled up to 45, but then when I went down some steps it crashed again. It seems like Single Combat really does some damage to the game somehow.

Comment

• backwardsEric
                            Knight
                            • Aug 2019

It worked, but strangely after I killed Tseuklas I was sent to a different area of the map, not where I'd cast Single Combat. Not that it mattered.

I continued playing and levelled up to 45, but then when I went down some steps it crashed again. It seems like Single Combat really does some damage to the game somehow.
                            The first part is understandable: if it can't locate where the monster in the duel was in the main level, the character get's placed in another location. Ingwe has mentioned that happening after saving (and presumably exiting) while in Single Combat.

If you're playing 4.2.3, the second part is also understandable. The nightly versions for a while have had some fixes for single combat, so using one of those should help. This one should be good enough (later ones fix some things but have a problem with a spurious prompt in the Mac and Window versions when one opts for a new game from the menus). If you're already playing a nightly version, then we've got more debugging to do with Single Combat.

In any case, posting a more recent zip of the savefile would allow Nick or I to fix it and let you continue with the character.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2009

Thanks Eric. It worked, but strangely after I killed Tseuklas I was sent to a different area of the map, not where I'd cast Single Combat. Not that it mattered.

From my empirical observations, if one saves and exits during single combat, then returns to the game and conquers in the single combat, @ will reappear on the map at some new location rather than the single combat location. However, if one completes the single combat in one go, without a save-exit-return, @ will appear where the single combat took place.
                              “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                              ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                                From my empirical observations, if one saves and exits during single combat, then returns to the game and conquers in the single combat, @ will reappear on the map at some new location rather than the single combat location. However, if one completes the single combat in one go, without a save-exit-return, @ will appear where the single combat took place.
                                This should be fixed in the latest nightly build.

I'm starting to feel like we've just about ironed out all the bugs in single combat, and am thinking it might be nearly time to do a 4.2.4 release.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎