X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingwe Ingweron
    Veteran
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Selkie
    Every time I leave a level I can see a purple unique flash up very briefly in the monster display window. Is this a thing?
    That effect has been there a very long time. I've never bothered to report it as a bug, since (i) I don't know that it actually contains any leaked information, and (ii) I've never bothered to record it and go back frame-by-frame to find out.
    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• backwardsEric
      Knight
      • Aug 2019

Every time I leave a level I can see a purple unique flash up very briefly in the monster display window. Is this a thing?
      Selkie and Ingwe, what front-end are you using when you see this? It's not clear that it matters, but it might help trying to diagnose the problem. Also, is it something you always see or does it only happen if the character has a source of ESP?

Comment

• Sideways
        Knight
        • Nov 2008

There was (is?) an issue in FA2 with real but non-visible monsters on the level being entered being very briefly listed in the monster subwindow. I don't know if it was related to this in any way, though. (It didn't necessarily involve uniques; in fact, it most frequently triggered in the town with village idiots, filthy street urchins and the like, and my conclusion was that it involved monsters who would have been visible were the town fully lit.)
        The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• Selkie
          Swordsman
          • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
          That effect has been there a very long time. I've never bothered to report it as a bug, since (i) I don't know that it actually contains any leaked information, and (ii) I've never bothered to record it and go back frame-by-frame to find out.
          I've only noticed it since 4.2.3. I don't think it causes any harm, it's more a curiosity.

@backwardsEric it happens every time I leave a level and not only when I have ESP.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
            Veteran
            • Jan 2009

I've only noticed it since 4.2.3. I don't think it causes any harm, it's more a curiosity.
            I've been aware of that flash effect all the way back to the 3.2.x days.
            “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”

Comment

• Selkie
              Swordsman
              • Aug 2020

Ok here's a screen grab of what flicks onto the monster display when I leave a level. It's a strange list! Remember, none of these monsters were here previously.

It's a screen grab from a 240fps video in my phone, sorry about the quality

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Comment

• clouded
                Swordsman
                • Jun 2012

Ok here's a screen grab of what flicks onto the monster display when I leave a level. It's a strange list! Remember, none of these monsters were here previously.

It's a screen grab from a 240fps video in my phone, sorry about the quality

https://imgur.com/a/B50OoIs
                More importantly, are those monsters on the level you land on? I noticed this too while playing FA though I also didn't report it or pay close enough attention to see if it gave information. I think I could sort of gauge if there was going to be a vault on the level though.

Comment

• Selkie
                  Swordsman
                  • Aug 2020

Originally posted by clouded
                  More importantly, are those monsters on the level you land on? I noticed this too while playing FA though I also didn't report it or pay close enough attention to see if it gave information. I think I could sort of gauge if there was going to be a vault on the level though.
                  That was a good thought so I tested it and yep they're all there.

So effectively by taking a high fps video on my phone I can see every single monster on the dungeon level. That's interesting

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

So effectively by taking a high fps video on my phone I can see every single monster on the dungeon level. That's interesting
                    OK, I'm taking notice now
                    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2009

Interesting. But only of interest, since it flashes when @ leaves a level, it provides no help. Maybe even a feeling of loss that you didn't find those uniques and get what they were holding.

Comment

• backwardsEric
                        Knight
                        • Aug 2019

Recent builds of Angband (4.2.3-76-...) and FAangband (2.0.0-31-...) have a change that may plug the information leak. I say may because I haven't been able to see the leak in the Mac version (likely because screen updates are handled lazily) and it didn't show up in quick tests with the X11 version on Linux.
                        Last edited by backwardsEric; September 16, 2021, 18:27. Reason: cause->because

Comment

• Selkie
                          Swordsman
                          • Aug 2020

Interesting. But only of interest, since it flashes when @ leaves a level, it provides no help. Maybe even a feeling of loss that you didn't find those uniques and get what they were holding.
                          No, you misunderstood. It shows every single monster on the level you have arrived on. I've tested it several times. I only ever noticed it in the first place because of the purple uniques. If your phone can record slow mo then test it yourself. By my calculations of the number of frames, I think it displays for 1/24th of a second. It even cycles through the pages when there are more monsters than can be displayed.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2008

There's a potential crash when digging rubble:

Code:
                            /* Create a simple object */
                            				place_object(cave, grid, player->depth, false, false,
                            							 ORIGIN_RUBBLE, 0);

/* Observe the new object */
                            				if (!ignore_item_ok(player,
                            						square_object(cave, grid))
                            						&& square_isseen(cave, grid)) {
                            					msg("You have found something!");
                            				}
                            The place_object() function is not 100% guaranteed to generate an object at that location, which would produce a NULL pointer in square_object() on the line after.
                            PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                              There's a potential crash when digging rubble
                              Thanks, bug filed.
                              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Bill Peterson
                                Adept
                                • Jul 2007

First time really playing with randarts. I can accept two successive characters finding an Arkenstone with telepathy early, but two artifact stars being generated? Is that supposed to be possible?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎