Poschengband game mechanic questions
Collapse
X
-
Do not forget to inscribe your spellbooks with { and make them something like a number. The way it works is like this.
Example Spellbook is in slot a. But as I pick up stuff, I have no way to keep it in that slot. So I type "{am@1" minus the quotes for the spellbook to be inscribed with "m@1".
Then if I ever need to cast from it, after pressing m to cast a spell, I need not worry where in my inventory it is. I just press 1 to select the book.
And so when I make my macro, it will likely be little more than m1a. (Or whatever spell letter I use.)
You can use inscriptions for other benefits too, like doing !d!s!v!k to prevent dropping, selling, throwing (The v) or destroying it. (The k)
And you can easily bind these together and inscribe books like the following. "!s!d!v!k m@1" and have a book easily found anywhere in your inventory that you will not ever accidentally do any of the things you put a ! before. And this does not only apply to books. *ANYTHING* can be inscribed for quick and easy use. You can inscribe potions, equipment, scrolls, and everything else. It is common for players to inscribe !* on things like scrolls of Genocide since they are very situational, valuable, and will absolutely destroy you if accidentally used. That inscription prevents *ANY* action from being taken with the object without you confirming it.
I think the aforementioned scrolls now automatically come with that inscription. Chris is making us lazy.
Leave a comment:
-
is there a way to hotkey spells? I need 4 key strokes for offensive spells
m - > pick spell book -> pick spell -> pick target.Leave a comment:
-
I think the problem is not the endgame, it's that I'm the wrong person to play that endgame.
The zangband variant endgame philosophy seems to be "take everything that made the endgame predictable and make it completely unreliable", and the result is that it is also incredibly annoying to play. The endless charge-draining+summoning uniques are the worst, and I'm guessing that's why most winners generally skip the endgame entirely and try to from DL75 to taking a hail-mary at killing the serpent. I would probably rather do data entry than play a character at Angband DL98.
If you took away charge-draining, though, I'm guessing the game would be made a fair amount easier also, which sort of goes against the philosophy.
It's more or less super fun until that point, though, and I'm pretty happy to play the rest of the game over and over again with different builds, etc.Leave a comment:
-
I think chris is inclined to take any suggestion that would make the game tad harder.Leave a comment:
-
-
My Life Monk found the Robe of Eternity. Looked like a real find - "This robe is invisible to the naked eye. It's a wonder you found it at all! Yet, it holds an incredible power, undiluted by time."
Unfortunately even at 0.0 lb weight and [0,+42] AC, it takes my effective AC from 165 to 132 when I wear it. I had hoped such an item could be worn without the big AC penalty from wearing stuff on the h: slotLeave a comment:
-
lolololol!!!!Shooting should be strong, perhaps stronger than melee in the end. I'm not sure why they are unpopular.
Perhaps the main problem is that melee is too convenient (arrow keys for all your attacks). To compensate, I recommend the following change:
[1] To attack monsters you press the 'w' key (for weapons).
[2] You are then prompted to choose which weapon to attack with (even if only wearing one). Press 'a' to use your only weapon.
[3] You are then prompted for a target (even if there is only one in sight). To make things fair, the targeting algorithm defaults to the most distant monster first. It should require at least 8 keystrokes to land on that adjacent orc that you want to attack. Also, the game should reprompt for a target every time just to make sure you didn't change your mind.
[4] After this, you attack with a single strike even if you have multiple blows. This is a boon, really, as you can spread your attacks among multiple foes (at the cost of a few measly keystrokes). So if you have 8 attacks per round, repeat this process 8 times.Leave a comment:
-
Yes and yes. They can also summon cyberdemons and nasty uniques! I generally avoid items with the AFC until the very end game. They'll kill you eventually.Leave a comment:
-
Can items with ancient and foul curse paralyze you through free action like amberite's blood curse can? (also I wonder if traps with ancient and foul curse can)
I have an artifact gloves with fire&cold immunities + ancient and foul curse, I used them to take Smaug and the iron lich on arena, but I'm afraid to use them for long even as a swap, I could go to arena dungeon with them already to kill elder fire giants and dracolisks/dracoliches without any risk, but I remember a similar item which I used as a swap once hit and summoned some nasties, if it had paralyzed on top of that it would have been instadeath.Leave a comment:
-
It was Dave's suggestion so I can't comment on the rationale. Actually, it makes dealing with Poseidon much easier since you can just destruct when he summons (though Krakens occasionally resist).
The only monster I can think of that would actually benefit from destruction immunity is The Destroyer. But that would be mean
Leave a comment:
-
-
Leave a comment: