Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thraalbee
    Knight
    • Sep 2010

I typically use tab, ctrl-a, ctrl-w, ctrl-e.

Comment

• krazyhades
      Swordsman
      • Jun 2013

The "disturb whenever any viewable monster moves" option does not disturb when a monster moves into line of sight. This makes the rest command dangerous, doubly so during the torch-wielding stage of the game, since you do not get disturbed until the monster is adjacent.
      edit: or maybe I'm just an idiot? Anyways. I hate resting during the thief quest and getting stuff stolen without a round of them next to me. Maybe they're just double-moving?

Comment

• debo
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

They're probably double-moving you.
        Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• chris
          PosChengband Maintainer
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by krazyhades
          The "disturb whenever any viewable monster moves" option does not disturb when a monster moves into line of sight. This makes the rest command dangerous, doubly so during the torch-wielding stage of the game, since you do not get disturbed until the monster is adjacent.
          edit: or maybe I'm just an idiot? Anyways. I hate resting during the thief quest and getting stuff stolen without a round of them next to me. Maybe they're just double-moving?
          The option appears to be working fine. In the thieves' quest, it is very common to get double moved since those thieves could be generated with up to +5 speed, I think. If you are playing a character without infravision, then your number 1 priority is to purchase a lantern to increase your light radius from 1 to 2. For the thieves' quest, I also recommend purchasing a scroll of light (open the nearest door before reading) and spending all your gold first.

Comment

• krazyhades
            Swordsman
            • Jun 2013

"Generated with up to +5 speed"

Whoah I had no idea monsters were generated with variable speed. I just thought they got variable turn-taking.

Comment

• Fnord
              Apprentice
              • May 2014

You can check actual speed via Probing (being a half-titan makes this trivial if you can "waste" the turn).

That said, I'd think speed range in numbers would fit for "thoroughly" learned monsters, similar to how AC, health and damage numbers are learned.

Comment

• krazyhades
                Swordsman
                • Jun 2013

Chris, I have a desperate request. Can you code up a game option that when activated makes the player play with patience, calm, forethought, and general prudence? That would be great.

Thanks.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2012

Chris, I have a desperate request. Can you code up a game option that when activated makes the player play with patience, calm, forethought, and general prudence? That would be great.

Thanks.
                  Maybe there should be in-game alert option notifying players that "It is the 1 hour mark. Take a break?" This could help reduce game fatigue and chances of dying due to...fatigue. With less fatigue, players are less likely to make mistakes, thus, can play more prudently.
                  Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; July 3, 2014, 23:07.
                  My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• krazyhades
                    Swordsman
                    • Jun 2013

I have a bad habit of playing a character from the start until they die in one sitting. And if/when they die, I play even worse on my next character, since I want to get past all of the stuff I've seen a zillion time to get to new content. I've actually killed off some 20 mage characters today trying to get back to where Shriven2 was. I'm so freaking sick of Camlot, thieves, and wargs.

edit: Though sometimes it works. I've had a few single-sitting Vanilla wins, including one that I streamed relatively recently...26+ hour stream.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2012

I have a bad habit of playing a character from the start until they die in one sitting. And if/when they die, I play even worse on my next character, since I want to get past all of the stuff I've seen a zillion time to get to new content. I've actually killed off some 20 mage characters today trying to get back to where Shriven2 was. I'm so freaking sick of Camlot, thieves, and wargs.

edit: Though sometimes it works. I've had a few single-sitting Vanilla wins, including one that I streamed relatively recently...26+ hour stream.
                      One workaround is to take the break and then post. Unfortunately, PosChengband is one of those variants that are nearly impossible to beat in one sitting!!

My favorite way to accelerate the progress is to jump into the Labyrinth for quick early-game level-ups. The Castle works, too.

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

Comment

• krazyhades
                        Swordsman
                        • Jun 2013

Yeah, I have taken that leaf from your book when playing melees, but I'm reluctant to enter the Labyrinth with phase-reliant mages.

edit: AUGH just died again, this time in the "wilderness" within sight of Outpost. I had 6 successful casts of Teleport, but they did not move me very far, so I could not escape the fury of the Saber-toothed f.

Really makes me feel punished for doing anything other than get 1xp/monster in shallow Camlot until level 8+.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2012

If you play in the wilderness, stock up Teleportation scrolls and CCW potions. Then, pick fights on the Water troll for easy level gains.

Comment

• krazyhades
                            Swordsman
                            • Jun 2013

I figured I would be okay with Teleport in spell form. It's not like I had too many casting failures on it. It barely moved me! It was practically phase door. Does the range depend on char level or spell proficiency?

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2012

Range does depend on proficiency for Teleport spells. I think Teleport scrolls have a set distance, but I'm not sure.

Comment

• Fnord
                                Apprentice
                                • May 2014

Two oddball suggestions:

* beer mode. From reading notes on dumps here, I figure I'm not the only one having lost promising charcs due to playing ... let's say, non-sober. How about the game allows an option to restore last safe (i.e. last stairs, usually, I'd think) and flagging a dump as "used beer mode"? This would, of course, be based on honesty regarding posting here, but then, that's already the case regarding safegame backup. There's also the case of stuff like cats jumping on keyboards and similar.

* <3 Auto-ID. But I'd love more flexibility. I'm playing a Life monk right now. I want to ID everything (once I get the spell), but I don't want to spend mana in combat. Not easy to automatically differentiate, but perhaps allow for "ID only if at max health and mana and no mob is in sight"?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎