X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arjen
    Adept
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by chris
    ..., that doesn't mean the idea was not a good one.
    It just shows how lazy the maintainer is. (and that for the most active maintained variant)

Comment

• Fnord
      Apprentice
      • May 2014

For example, it'd be nice to know how many Healing potions a certain warrior has been quaffing
      Indeed!

Actually, that reminds me - I think I had 20+ !*heal* and !life shattered by various bolts from trash mobs so far... another thing I'd be curious about.

Still alive and kicking and slowly building up !*heal*/!life again. Not too many hard uniques left, which is what kept my stock going back down. I should update...

In case it is not obvious, I tend to cherry pick suggestions for implementation, mostly on the basis of how hard something is to achieve. So if I don't implement a suggestion, that doesn't mean the idea was not a good one.
      That goes without saying! While not a professional developer myself, I know enough about developing games, especially with 20+ years old legacy code bases hacked together by dozens of people of varying degree of skill to understand that achieving something that sounds trivial at first glance might be a complete nightmare.

And that's not even considering that it's your game, really. You owe us nothing, we owe you thanks!

That said, I'll keep posting whatever comes across my brain. Even if there's nothing you pick up on, it might be something others would find useful for their variant or bring others to other ideas for improvements.

Comment

• poschengbandplayer
        Apprentice
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Fnord
        Indeed!

Actually, that reminds me - I think I had 20+ !*heal* and !life shattered by various bolts from trash mobs so far... another thing I'd be curious about.

Still alive and kicking and slowly building up !*heal*/!life again. Not too many hard uniques left, which is what kept my stock going back down. I should update...

That goes without saying! While not a professional developer myself, I know enough about developing games, especially with 20+ years old legacy code bases hacked together by dozens of people of varying degree of skill to understand that achieving something that sounds trivial at first glance might be a complete nightmare.

And that's not even considering that it's your game, really. You owe us nothing, we owe you thanks!

That said, I'll keep posting whatever comes across my brain. Even if there's nothing you pick up on, it might be something others would find useful for their variant or bring others to other ideas for improvements.
        Totally aggree,thank you very much Chris.
        On a side note.Recently I lost a demigod(athena) psion who had found a power dragon scale mail and the golden crown of amber in under 1 hour of gameplay.I got instakilled by clones of locke half an hour later.imagine my feelings lol
        While i'm not saying i never ever won't play a *band game again,i will take a big,big break from any band game in particular.Time to hibernate for the decades to come.

Thanks again!
        ***hibernates***
        Edit:
        Ps:here are some further ideas of mine
        You gave players the ability to identifiy all their stuff with pressing * when sufficient identify charges are available.How about to give the same ability to mages and magic eaters too?
        make the ent player race like the ent monster race(posessor),being able to have flexible slots.
        about wanted monsters:Make them instead of dropping their corpse,drop a *bodypart*.It is just so mindboggingly insanse,imagining my char carrying atlas the titan in his backpack.I would suggest you to make them drop *heads*.(headhunter,anyone?).This would also take care of the posessor start scumming.
        bye!

Comment

• MarvinPA
          Scout
          • Jul 2013

Autoidentify seems to work even when you haven't actually identified your scrolls of identify yet (also, autoidentify is a really great thing).

Comment

• chris
            PosChengband Maintainer
            • Jan 2008

Since I'm trying to take a short development break, I release 3.3.3 here:

This release adds new object statistics tracking. You can view stats in game with the ~2 and ~i options (for objects and egos, respectively) and information is also added to your character dumps. This information should help me get a better handle on how many resources are being found, used, destroyed, etc and should assist in future game design.

Other minor changes include:
            * The player Knock Out code has been totally reworked. In general, getting KO'd will mean the player loses 1 or perhaps 2 turns, but will wake up heavily stunned still.

* Dual wielding weapon weight sensitivity has been decreased for certain classes (Warrior, Samurai, Blood-Knight, etc). This means they can dual wield heavier weapons more easily, but also means the benefits from dual wielding light weapons are also lessened.

* Wilderness monsters are now generated awake when the player is ambushed. It seemed weird to get ambushed by sleeping monsters

* The player is no longer automatically "aware" of ego items. This means the first time you find a Pattern weapon, you won't know anything about what it does. Once you *identify* it, however, the ego type in question gets marked as "aware" so the next time you find one, you will know about the common ego attributes (but not the extra powers, of course).

As usual, source and changes are available.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
              Veteran
              • Jan 2012

Since I'm trying to take a short development break, I release 3.3.3 here:

This release adds new object statistics tracking. You can view stats in game with the ~2 and ~i options (for objects and egos, respectively) and information is also added to your character dumps. This information should help me get a better handle on how many resources are being found, used, destroyed, etc and should assist in future game design.

Other minor changes include:
              * The player Knock Out code has been totally reworked. In general, getting KO'd will mean the player loses 1 or perhaps 2 turns, but will wake up heavily stunned still.

* Dual wielding weapon weight sensitivity has been decreased for certain classes (Warrior, Samurai, Blood-Knight, etc). This means they can dual wield heavier weapons more easily, but also means the benefits from dual wielding light weapons are also lessened.

* Wilderness monsters are now generated awake when the player is ambushed. It seemed weird to get ambushed by sleeping monsters

* The player is no longer automatically "aware" of ego items. This means the first time you find a Pattern weapon, you won't know anything about what it does. Once you *identify* it, however, the ego type in question gets marked as "aware" so the next time you find one, you will know about the common ego attributes (but not the extra powers, of course).

As usual, source and changes are available.
              I just upgraded my 3.3.2 Possessor (Hugo$oul 1446) to 3.3.3 and immediately noticed that my object statistics tracking is completely blank?? Does this only track items that are found from 3.3.3 onwards? AND YES, I did make a backup of my Possessor.
              My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• chris
                PosChengband Maintainer
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                I just upgraded my 3.3.2 Possessor (Hugo$oul 1446) to 3.3.3 and immediately noticed that my object statistics tracking is completely blank?? Does this only track items that are found from 3.3.3 onwards? AND YES, I did make a backup of my Possessor.
                Yup. Tracking required adding new code so anything found before 3.3.3 won't be noticed.

Comment

• debo
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2011

If chris can write code that takes into account all possible bookkeeping that will be needed in future releases of a particular application, he has a very bright future ahead of him If this is the case, I want a room in your future yacht, chris!
                  Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2012

This officially makes the wilderness ambushes more dangerous in the early game.

I'm not sure if this is still true with the ordinary Slay weapons. In one game, I ID'ed a Beaked Axe of Slay Giant (from the Thieves quest) with a regular Identify scroll without making me "aware" of its slay damage against Giants. But then later in the same game, IDed a Long Sword of Slay Orc via the Outpost ID service that costs 100, and this made me aware of the ego...by showing the actual damage against Orcs.

So, ID by town service for 100 gold still makes players aware of egos. Is thiis intended? And again, I'm referring to the cheap 100 gold town ID service. ID by scroll is working as intended. That said, how is the regular ID (NOT the *Identify*) by spellcast (Wild-Talent/Mage/etc.) or ID by Stone of Lore supposed to function?

Edit - This was was a one-time incident. I have not been able to reproduce this since. Recently, I picked up this Guisarme that appeared to increase my INT by +1. When I ID'ed it at the Town Service for 100 gold, it did NOT YET reveal the ego property of Slay Animal.

Edit #2 - Asleep monsters showing up during wilderness ambushees still occurs in 3.3.3, occasionally. I just spotted a sleeping Half-Troll during one particular ambush west of the Castle entrance while playing my Apollo parentage Wild-Talent.

Edit #3 - Random question - Does Apollo's 'Shine' increase in radius later in the game?
                    Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; June 16, 2014, 07:07.

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

Comment

• chris
                      PosChengband Maintainer
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                      So, ID by town service for 100 gold still makes players aware of egos. Is thiis intended? And again, I'm referring to the cheap 100 gold town ID service. ID by scroll is working as intended. That said, how is the regular ID (NOT the *Identify*) by spellcast (Wild-Talent/Mage/etc.) or ID by Stone of Lore supposed to function?
                      There is a bug when stocking egos in shops. This makes the player aware of the ego type and perhaps this is what happened? At any rate, you'll need to actually purchase an item from a shop to get "awareness" for next release. The 100gp cheap town ID service should not be having this effect.

Ego awareness should only happen when:
                      [1] *Identify*
                      [2] Sell item in town.
                      [3] Buy item in town.

Apollo's shine is always radius 3.

Comment

• krazyhades
                        Swordsman
                        • Jun 2013

Anybody here? I'm just live with a PosChengband stream at twitch.tv/krazyhades. I'd love to have any of you over in chat or better yet on voicechat through skype, google, ventrilo, mumble, teamspeak, you name it!

Also, Bullroarer JUST stole our first corpse (Wolf) and got away with it!

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by krazyhades
                          Anybody here? I'm just live with a PosChengband stream at twitch.tv/krazyhades. I'd love to have any of you over in chat or better yet on voicechat through skype, google, ventrilo, mumble, teamspeak, you name it!

Also, Bullroarer JUST stole our first corpse (Wolf) and got away with it!
                          I checked it and left a few messages on the Balrog you were playing. Nice to see a live game. Unfortunately, twitch re-buffers too often for me. Blame it on my wretched Verizon connection.

Comment

• krazyhades
                            Swordsman
                            • Jun 2013

It was great to have you, Fizzix, Patashu, and some random Redditors (I think? else alternate screennames) to join me last night! Glad to see that you were inspired to play more Red Mages yourself.

I could try setting up termcasting simultaneously with my streaming. If I got that set up correctly, one could use the twitch chatroom without the twitch stream (popout chat, close stream, used popped-out chat). I know that at least clouded also likes termcast format for consumption.

I was HellHathNoFury, a female Balrog Red-Mage with the Sexy personality. I died foolishly on the Tengu and Death Swords quest, tiptoeing too close to a sword in an attempt to light the room. Still, I countered the tengus with a Phase Spider summoning, which was awesome. I had a really promising early game because of an insane =Combat(+0,+10) for the Warg Quest reward. I was unable to capture death dumps, as usual I have trouble because I just hit space a few times and it quits. I guess I'm just too used to Vanilla's death menu.

Anyways, I'll be playing more descendants of her, possibly even this evening. If I stream one or more attempts, I'll post here.

Comment

• getter77
                              Adept
                              • Dec 2009

I caught the stream archive today and definitely enjoyed it krazyhades---definitely hope you keep it going/keep archiving 'em and attack at more of the various crazy classes(Red Mage was interesting to be sure though) and such in v3.3.3

Comment

• debo
                                Veteran
                                • Oct 2011

Not sure what's up here but I'm wearing this:

a Torc of the Hero (+2,+2) [+5] {Fe;FaSiRg[F(StDx}

And in my resistances chart, it doesn't show any of rFear, FA, see invis, regen, etc.

The 'fire aura' row shows the aura's power, but it doesn't have the '+' flag under the amulet column.

Edit: I should note that I do actually get all these powers, they just don't show up on the charts.
                                Last edited by debo; June 21, 2014, 12:29.
                                Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎