Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

A few rods are immune from lightning in FA, but not Recall. Dungeon only mode was done kind of on the spur of the moment, so there are some bits of it that aren't very well thought out. I think I need to make both scrolls and rods of recall more common.

Also, relying on a single rod of recall is a bit dangerous - aside from the lightning issue, there are some really nasty thieves in FA.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• shawnosullivan
      Apprentice
      • Aug 2009

definitely from now on in FA its recall scrolls for me, until i have a healthy stack of rods.
      but yeah, given the increased possibility of losing ones means of recall, and how potentially lethal that is in dungeon-only mode, scroll and rod frequency should definitely be beefed up. it took me probably an hour of gameplay time, 4 troll/giant pits, and two character levels before i found a recall scroll in one of those weird vaults surrounded by a ring of hounds.

another small issue - i just found the stone of lore, and it doesn't appear to have any benefits or any activation, just 3 light radius. am i missing something?

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by shawnosullivan
        another small issue - i just found the stone of lore, and it doesn't appear to have any benefits or any activation, just 3 light radius. am i missing something?
        Have you ever picked up an unidentified item while wielding it?

Comment

• shawnosullivan
          Apprentice
          • Aug 2009

i gathered it probably had a similarly awesome effect - said character died relatively shortly therafter, unfortunately. tol-in-gaurhoth is TOUGH...!

Comment

• LostTemplar
            Knight
            • Aug 2009

One more little bug: equipping a unidentified weapon immediately shows exact attack skill it gives, not +to skill but total value.

Comment

• Therem Harth
              Knight
              • Jan 2008

Bugs so far:

- If you die in Thrall mode with Cheat Death turned on, you get resurrected in a town called Nowhere with the player character invisible, surrounded by walls on all sides.

(Edit: actually the getting-imprisoned-in-walls thing happens whether you're in Thrall mode or not, no matter what town you're resurrected in. Oops.)

- If you die and close the window before hitting the escape key to quit, then on next launch you're brought back to the last save - basically, automatic savescumming. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but since it seems not to impact the score I somehow don't think so.

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Therem Harth
                If you die in Thrall mode with Cheat Death turned on, you get resurrected in a town called Nowhere with the player character invisible, surrounded by walls on all sides.

(Edit: actually the getting-imprisoned-in-walls thing happens whether you're in Thrall mode or not, no matter what town you're resurrected in. Oops.)
                This is a long-standing bug that I keep not fixing. Thanks for bringing it up - maybe I'll remember next time.

If you die and close the window before hitting the escape key to quit, then on next launch you're brought back to the last save - basically, automatic savescumming. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but since it seems not to impact the score I somehow don't think so.
                Er, no. Oops again.

Comment

• LostTemplar
                  Knight
                  • Aug 2009

Bug detected: uncursing item on the floor does not destroy it, message about bang & flash is generated but item remains.

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by LostTemplar
                    Bug detected: uncursing item on the floor does not destroy it, message about bang & flash is generated but item remains.
                    Oops. Thanks.

Comment

• Arralen
                      Swordsman
                      • May 2007

v1.15

- missed a Dwarven champion and a Ogre shaman at least 1x, maybe even several times with "detect monsters" (wiz spellbook "magic for beginners"). How so?

- fireball (wiz spellbook "battle spells") has extraordinary failure rate: spell is lvl 22, but even with Lvl30 high-elf mage failure is 29%! Intended?

- Overall, the mage plays somewhat ... bland. Early ident takes all the fun out of the pseudo. Early detects make life quite a bit easier. And the very limited repertory of combat spells makes things a bit boring: fire - bolt, low damage; lightning - bolt/beam, medium; cold - beam, medium dam, but rel. high cost; fire - ball, high dam, very high cost.
                      So for quite some time, one uses the same combat spell over and over again, simply because there isn't another one that makes any sense to use.
                      Yet messy at times, when you can only 2 different types of elemental damage, but the monsters resist both ... I would rather like the mage have more exotic spells, and do more exotic damage as well.

- "Bow Of The Eagle Lord", found, on DL 21, seems slightly unbalanced, especially as the branding does (+5,+5) (or something like that; tried it out, but forgot the exact numbers), and therefore even -x,-y arrows get usuable
                      Attached Files
                      No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
                      Never. Ever.

Comment

• LostTemplar
                        Knight
                        • Aug 2009

Never seen any problems with detection, maybe monster just teleport next turn after you detect.
                        Ammunition branding activation is slightly overpowered as well as mages

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Arralen
                          - missed a Dwarven champion and a Ogre shaman at least 1x, maybe even several times with "detect monsters" (wiz spellbook "magic for beginners"). How so?
                          I haven't seen this - I'll look out for it.

- fireball (wiz spellbook "battle spells") has extraordinary failure rate: spell is lvl 22, but even with Lvl30 high-elf mage failure is 29%! Intended?
                          Hm. I'll have a look at the failure rates again.

- Overall, the mage plays somewhat ... bland. Early ident takes all the fun out of the pseudo. Early detects make life quite a bit easier. And the very limited repertory of combat spells makes things a bit boring: fire - bolt, low damage; lightning - bolt/beam, medium; cold - beam, medium dam, but rel. high cost; fire - ball, high dam, very high cost.
                          So for quite some time, one uses the same combat spell over and over again, simply because there isn't another one that makes any sense to use.
                          Yet messy at times, when you can only 2 different types of elemental damage, but the monsters resist both ... I would rather like the mage have more exotic spells, and do more exotic damage as well.
                          Have you got Thrust Away yet? That should make you happy.

- "Bow Of The Eagle Lord", found, on DL 21, seems slightly unbalanced, especially as the branding does (+5,+5) (or something like that; tried it out, but forgot the exact numbers), and therefore even -x,-y arrows get usuable
                          That is a *nice* randart.

Comment

• Arralen
                            Swordsman
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by Nick
                            "detect monster" missing some ..
                            I haven't seen this - I'll look out for it.
                            Maybe LostTemplar is right - both champion and shaman are capable of teleport, so they might have "teleported in" ...

Have you got Thrust Away yet? That should make you happy.
                            As it is listed before fireball, I -technically- got it earlier. But I never bothered using it, because I didn't figure it does that much damage. If the spell "beams" does it damage the same monster repeatedly, if it's pushed back right down the spells path? Seems the damage is somewhat excessive .. what doesn't really make me happy
                            Btw., can we get "jump 10 meters up/down" and "lightsaber combat" along with it, please?

That is a *nice* randart.
                            Fortunately, it was found by that high-elf mage, so I do have some troubles actually hitting things with it. On any class that can really make use of a bow it would be totally devastating and unbalanced

Oh, did I mention I like the new jewelry?
                            Maybe it's still too good - especially "+ speed" seems to come too easy! I find myself converting all the gold from {good}+ weapons (still very few armors etc show up, but plenty of weapons .. which my mage has no use for) into jewelry, like this one (still havn't tested what "storm dance" is) which I got from the BM for a paltry 140k gold ... :
                            Attached Files
                            No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
                            Never. Ever.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                              Veteran
                              • Jun 2007

I think 'clang' has discovered what might be a serious bug in GF_CHAOS handling i current trunk.

It appears that a stray ";" has got into the code in spells1.c (line 7696). Shouldn't
                              Code:
                              	if (dam > randint(300));
                              	  {
                              	        /* elided */
                              	  }
                              be
                              Code:
                              	if (dam > randint(300))
                              	  {
                              	        /* elided */
                              	  }
                              ? I think the current code will always produce dungeon-shattering effects regardless of the damage.

There's also some weird-looking code in cmd5.c which produces these warnings on clang:
                              Code:
                              cmd5.c:2207:35: warning: if statement has empty body [-Wempty-body]
                                          if (!lay_rune(RUNE_ELEMENTS));
                                                                       ^
                              cmd5.c:2212:33: warning: if statement has empty body [-Wempty-body]                                                              
                                          if (!lay_rune(RUNE_MAGDEF));
                                                                     ^
                              cmd5.c:2217:32: warning: if statement has empty body [-Wempty-body]                                                              
                                          if (!lay_rune(RUNE_QUAKE));
                                                                    ^
                              cmd5.c:2222:31: warning: if statement has empty body [-Wempty-body]                                                              
                                          if (!lay_rune(RUNE_MANA));
                                                                   ^
                              cmd5.c:2227:34: warning: if statement has empty body [-Wempty-body]                                                              
                                          if (!lay_rune(RUNE_PROTECT));
                                                                      ^
                              cmd5.c:2232:32: warning: if statement has empty body [-Wempty-body]                                                              
                                          if (!lay_rune(RUNE_POWER));
                                                                    ^
                              cmd5.c:2237:32: warning: if statement has empty body [-Wempty-body]                                                              
                                          if (!lay_rune(RUNE_SPEED));
                                                                    ^
                              I would suggest that affected lines be changed to simply
                              Code:
                                   lay_rune(RUNE_XYZZY);
                              (EDIT: A little context.)

Comment

• LostTemplar
                                Knight
                                • Aug 2009

Well thrust away is the best spell ever, it is capable to kill any monster with impunitiy and make endgame uniques a joke, it is not for damage dealing, you should use it for tactical advantage and it also stuns that means half ranged attacks from enemy.
                                I rarely use any other damage spells after I get it. Thrust + wands + recharge.
                                Last edited by LostTemplar; June 20, 2010, 18:36.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎