Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buzzkill
    Prophet
    • May 2008

Can someone clear this up for me. I'm assuming, from recent experience, that 'stat' potions only raise your unmodified stats to 18, and then you need *stat* potions to raise them even higher. Is this correct? If so, is it safe to squelch a 'stat' potion in a no selling game once that particular stat reaches 18?
    www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
    My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
      Can someone clear this up for me. I'm assuming, from recent experience, that 'stat' potions only raise your unmodified stats to 18, and then you need *stat* potions to raise them even higher. Is this correct? If so, is it safe to squelch a 'stat' potion in a no selling game once that particular stat reaches 18?
      Yes, correct.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• thapper
        Adept
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by buzzkill
        Originally posted by Nick
        Yes, correct.
        Isn't 'stat' potions restoring your stats if needed, even if your 'stat' is above 18 (basically turning them into !resStat)? If this means that they are worth not squelching I don't know.

Comment

• buzzkill
          Prophet
          • May 2008

I know that jewelery is raw and unbalanced but this seems particularly out of wack. Provided here simply as info for future balancing. On a DL48 wilderness/desert level I found or something dropped an Amulet of Magic Item Mastery (+1, +9 to speed). That may rival my {truly excellent,yet cursed} Ring of Physical Prowess (+5 STR,DEX,CON). The toughest thing I think I killed there was a pair of Death Knights.
          Last edited by buzzkill; May 7, 2010, 16:19.
          www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.

Comment

• LostTemplar
            Knight
            • Aug 2009

It should have many curses on it, otherwise it is too good. I have found many such items but probably only 1 of 20 survives uncursing process to the point it is actually usefull (no aggro, random teleport, disable teleport, etc nasty curses)
            I dont care about sticky wield or something like cuts or poision.
            BTW by far the most imbalanced property of jewellery is brand missile activation, it can be found very early, even bought from magic shop, and gives unlimited supply of branded arrows, and you only have to wear it in town, so no problems with curses.
            Last edited by LostTemplar; May 7, 2010, 06:10.

Comment

• buzzkill
              Prophet
              • May 2008

The Magic Item Mastery (+9 speed) was cursed, sticky cursed (ohhh) and (-25% shards). I managed to uncurse the stickiness so I could swap it with an amulet granting ESP. I'm not going to worry about the shard vulnerability. The Physical Prowess (+5), which I found very early, had anti-teleportation which I managed to uncurse, and still grants random hallucination as I'm currently unwilling to press my luck uncursing it again. Moving about DL56 now without much resistance, my low HP being my major stumbling block.

Comment

• buzzkill
                Prophet
                • May 2008

Scrolls of elemental attacks seem to be broken, or too weak for the level at which they are found. I've been trying to use them to supplement my primary fire branded weapon. Although a status appears at the bottom of the screen indicating that it's apparently working, my damage output doesn't seem to change, even if fire is resisted and the granted elemental attack isn't.

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Updated to 1.1.4 now. Bugfixes are:
                  • Setting a trap can be cancelled.
                  • Walking into neutral monsters now pushes past them instead of attacking; to attack one, you need to use the alter (+) command.
                  • Neutrals become hostile if they are stolen from or hit a trap.
                  • Help on commands and class pseudo-ID has been updated.
                  • Game no longer (I believe) hangs sometimes when trying to generate jewellery.
                  • Unknown sustains no longer leak out in the 'C' screen.
                  • Hallucination works properly in graphics mode.
                  • Sauron dies properly.
                  • Panel changes properly in dungeon-only mode.
                  • Player level in notes should work properly.
                  • Chaotic effects happen much less often from chaos spells.
                  • Speed rings always have to have some speed.
                  • Known curses display properly in store.

The elemental attack thing may be a bug, but it's not fixed yet.
                  I haven't changed jewellery balance yet, either - I'll leave it a bit and see how it pans out.

Comment

• Matthias
                    Adept
                    • Apr 2007

I'm trying the DS version and it gets stuck on Initializing arrays... (race probs)

This is the first time I'm trying FA on DS so it might be a problem with my flashcart instead of the game just as likely. I'm still using the old R4

edit: I take that back it works. It took more than 5 minutes to get done though..
                    Last edited by Matthias; May 8, 2010, 11:42.

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Matthias
                      edit: I take that back it works. It took more than 5 minutes to get done though..
                      The good news is that that's only on the first load

Comment

• thapper
                        Adept
                        • Aug 2008

I use Gervais' tiles and when I'm in town the map is not centred on me or in fact moving at all, half of the town is outside my view (and I can't see myself when I'm in that part of town). I also seem to have a light radius of 20 even if looks like it is night.
                        Last edited by thapper; May 8, 2010, 11:55. Reason: edited for clarity

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by thapper
                          I use Gervais' tiles and when I'm in town the map is not centred on me or in fact moving at all, half of the town is outside my view (and I can't see myself when I'm in that part of town). I also seem to have a light radius of 20 even if looks like it is night.
                          Have you downloaded 1.1.4? This bug is fixed as far as I can tell.

Comment

• Matthias
                            Adept
                            • Apr 2007

I have the same problem on the DS with ascii mode. Version seems to be 1.14

Comment

• thapper
                              Adept
                              • Aug 2008

Yes I use 1.1.4, as far as I can tell the bug only appeared in 1.1.4, I never saw it before. Could copying the .ini file from 1.1.3 have had anything to do with it? I guess not. Switching to ascii while in town works for now (for me).

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Matthias
                                I have the same problem on the DS with ascii mode. Version seems to be 1.14
                                Yes, I can confirm this

Originally posted by thapper
                                Yes I use 1.1.4, as far as I can tell the bug only appeared in 1.1.4, I never saw it before. Could copying the .ini file from 1.1.3 have had anything to do with it? I guess not. Switching to ascii while in town works for now (for me).
                                And this

I'll try to get a fix done some time.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎