X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

FAangband 1.1

FAangband 1.1 is now available from the usual place - thanks as usual to pav for hosting. Please play, post dumps, complain, etc.

I am expecting more complaining than usual, because the new ID by use system and rings and amulets are radical and not very well tested changes. Bugs can be reported here, or by email to nckmccnnll@yahoo.com.au, or at launchpad.

Here is a summary of the changes:

ID by use
    ---------
    Wieldable objects can be learned about by wielding and using them. Ego weapon and armour types can be learned by learning an identifying property.

Score
    -----
    Score is now the sum of the experience gained for the first kill of every monster type. This is an attempt to make score actually meaningful.

Rings and Amulets
    -----------------
    These are completely different now. Basic ring types are metals; basic amulet types are gems. All rings and amulets are ego items. ID by use is "sensation-based" (otherwise known as rune-based) for jewellery.

Birth Options
    -------------
    There are two new birth options:

- dungeon only gives the player a conventional Angband town-and-dungeon game (although there are optional fixed quests on the way down, and recall is *necessary* after a while);

- no selling is like it says on the box - items can be donated to shops for identification, and gold drops are doubled.

Sound
    -----
    Dubtrain's sound pack is now fully incorporated.

Bugfixes and minor changes
    --------------------------
    Adjusted Razorback's weight down to normal for DSMs (Si Griffin)

Added buzzkill's world map.

Alt key not working in SDL (jsv)
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
  • ekolis
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Yay! Very nice!

A couple of questions:

How do I turn off click-to-move?

Why is a Magestaff listed as [4,?] yet "you know all the enchantments" on this object?

edit: a few more!

How do I turn off autopickup? The option appears to be mising and forced on...

If I try to sell something in no-selling mode, perhaps it should say "donate" which item instead of "sell" which item? Just so I don't try to "donate" a valuable item that's already ID'd!
    Last edited by ekolis; March 7, 2010, 13:37.
    You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
    You are surrounded by a stasis field!
    The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ekolis
      How do I turn off click-to-move?
      Looks like you can't currently - I should put that as part of the "turn off mouse buttons" option.

Why is a Magestaff listed as [4,?] yet "you know all the enchantments" on this object?
      Hm. Bug #2.

How do I turn off autopickup? The option appears to be mising and forced on...
      Gameplay options, third from the bottom.

If I try to sell something in no-selling mode, perhaps it should say "donate" which item instead of "sell" which item? Just so I don't try to "donate" a valuable item that's already ID'd!
      Good idea. I spent about 10 minutes implementing that option...

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

I've fixed a few small issues (itemlist broken, brands not showing up properly, sundry other ID things), and have a couple still unsolved. Current plan is to spend about a week looking for and fixing bugs, then release 1.1.1.

Comment

• Zikke
          Veteran
          • Jun 2008

Yay thanks Nick! I've been waiting for a no-wilderness version and now I can play it! When you release 1.1.1 I'll definitely play it and let you know how it goes.

Is there now a "Auto pickup items that match inventory" option like in V? I love that option.
          A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
          A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
          C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Zikke
            Yay thanks Nick! I've been waiting for a no-wilderness version and now I can play it! When you release 1.1.1 I'll definitely play it and let you know how it goes.
            It's quite playable now - the main issue is that item descriptions don't always come out quite right.

Is there now a "Auto pickup items that match inventory" option like in V? I love that option.
            No, but there can be

Comment

• Zikke
              Veteran
              • Jun 2008

Yay I made a warrior and already found Cambeleg on dlvl 2. ^_^

When I press "k" to kill an object, it brings up the list of items to kill. If I hit ESC, I have to hit it about 3-7 times (it varies) until the menu goes away. Ever seen this? I'm on Vista 32-bit.

edit: Well I closed FA and re-opened it and it's back to normal. I'll keep an eye on it.
              Last edited by Zikke; March 8, 2010, 23:54.
              A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
              A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
              C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• buzzkill
                Prophet
                • May 2008

I imported my 1.03 character and his Rings of Feather Falling had transformed into Gold Rings. Upon ID I found that these rings had certain useful properties. Slays animals, evil, undead, demons, orcs, trolls, giants and dragons. Branded with acid, fire, lightning, cold and poison. Grants resistance to acid. Finally, a RoFF that's worthwhile, despite it's lack of FF. Sells for a whopping 856 GP.

I guess I'll just play this one out in 1.03. Have you made any changes that would change/corrupt monster memory?
                www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

@buzzkill:
                  Sweet!!!

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
                    I imported my 1.03 character and his Rings of Feather Falling had transformed into Gold Rings. Upon ID I found that these rings had certain useful properties. Slays animals, evil, undead, demons, orcs, trolls, giants and dragons. Branded with acid, fire, lightning, cold and poison. Grants resistance to acid. Finally, a RoFF that's worthwhile, despite it's lack of FF. Sells for a whopping 856 GP.

I guess I'll just play this one out in 1.03. Have you made any changes that would change/corrupt monster memory?
                    Sorry, I really should have mentioned this as an issue.

It is NOT recommended to upgrade a living character to 1.1, because wacky stuff will happen to rings and amulets. Monster memory is fine.

I'm actually surprised that ring didn't give resistance to everything...

Comment

• LostTemplar
                      Knight
                      • Aug 2009

I had a problem with "esc" key too, havig to press it many times, but fixed it by addind a macro with \e trigger and \e action, now one press of "esc" is enough to exit menu. It seems, something is wrong with default .prf files.

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by LostTemplar
                        I had a problem with "esc" key too, havig to press it many times, but fixed it by addind a macro with \e trigger and \e action, now one press of "esc" is enough to exit menu. It seems, something is wrong with default .prf files.
                        Where have you noticed this, and in which OS? I have noticed needing two presses of ESC to get out of the 'C' screen on linux, but nowhere else, and haven't been able to track down what's going on.

Comment

• LostTemplar
                          Knight
                          • Aug 2009

I am using linux and it takes two hits of esc to get out of any menu, 'C' screen, map, help, etc by default. This is annoying but simply fixed by adding macro. Last version still have some bugz with item description, for example
                          branded (by using missile brand activation) ammo is sometimes not shown as branded on 'e' or 'i' screens, but 'I' command describes it as branded.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by LostTemplar
                            I am using linux and it takes two hits of esc to get out of any menu, 'C' screen, map, help, etc by default. This is annoying but simply fixed by adding macro.
                            OK, I think I have this one worked out. I assume you're using the gcu port; this is a known property of playing in a terminal. You can use the backtick (`) instead of ESC.

Last version still have some bugz with item description, for example
                            branded (by using missile brand activation) ammo is sometimes not shown as branded on 'e' or 'i' screens, but 'I' command describes it as branded.
                            Fixed now, I think. Probably. Ego items are sporadically not displaying, and I haven't worked out why yet.

Comment

• Arralen
                              Swordsman
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by Nick
                              No, but there can be
                              But there is one already?!
                              Turn ON "always pick up" and "ask before picking up" .. and at least for arrows, the game lets me pick them up automatically without asking?!
                              No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
                              Never. Ever.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍