X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chud
    Swordsman
    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Derakon
    In other words, you're high-enough level that when casting simple spells, your failure rate "should" be below 4%, even when standing in the light. But since your INT is only 18/50, your failure rate must be at least 4%.
    Hmm, so if I understand, the light penalty is applied to a "true" (i.e. not INT-limited) failure rate? So, perhaps I have a true failure rate of -10% (say), which is then corrected to 4%; standing in light applies a penalty that raises it to 2%, which is then also corrected to 4%? Making up the numbers there, but that's the mechanism?

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Chud
      Hmm, so if I understand, the light penalty is applied to a "true" (i.e. not INT-limited) failure rate? So, perhaps I have a true failure rate of -10% (say), which is then corrected to 4%; standing in light applies a penalty that raises it to 2%, which is then also corrected to 4%? Making up the numbers there, but that's the mechanism?
      Yes, this is correct.

Previously necromancers had a penalty to CON when in light. There was a discussion here which ended up deciding that failrate was a better penalty. During that discussion someone (I suspect Derakon ) suggested that the penalty should be pre-failrate, because as a necromancer gets more powerful they should be able to overcome light as a penalty, and I agreed. But we can keep thinking about it.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• wobbly
        Prophet
        • May 2012

Originally posted by Derakon
        • Warrior - brown
        • Mage - red
        • Druid - light green
        • Priest - dark blue
        • Necromancer - pink
        • Paladin - light blue
        • Rogue - dark grey
        • Ranger - dark green
        • Blackguard - light grey
        I'd be fine with most of this list other then preferring yellow for priest & white for paladin. I suspect putting priest on the old rogue colour is going to cause a bunch of confusion.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
          Prophet
          • Apr 2008

I would simply keep the old colors and add new ones.

Warrior - u
          Mage - r
          Priest - g
          Rogue - b
          Ranger - U
          Paladin - B

Necromancer - R (that's what I use for PWMAngband)
          Druid - G (seem logical)
          Blackguard - D (it's a "black" guard)
          PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• NightLizard
            Rookie
            • Dec 2018

Current nightly crashes every time I descend stairs, it seems to crash only when I copy the monster.txt to my lore.txt to get full monster memory.

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by NightLizard
              Current nightly crashes every time I descend stairs, it seems to crash only when I copy the monster.txt to my lore.txt to get full monster memory.
              Do you get any message when it crashes? What OS are you using? Has anyone else experienced this?

I made a change recently that I thought would make the process more robust, so I hope I haven't broken it instead.

Comment

• NightLizard
                Rookie
                • Dec 2018

Windows 10, no message at all: the window just closes. When I restart I start at the level I just entered, but the crash appears next time I find stairs again. Deleting the lore.txt file fixed the problem. Do you want the savefile?

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by NightLizard
                  Windows 10, no message at all: the window just closes. When I restart I start at the level I just entered, but the crash appears next time I find stairs again. Deleting the lore.txt file fixed the problem. Do you want the savefile?
                  Yes please, and randart file if you're using randarts.

Comment

• wobbly
                    Prophet
                    • May 2012

For vampire strike does "the monster is shielded" mean you lack a free square to move to? If so the presence of an object on a square seems to be causing it to fail.
                    Code:
                    ##H#
                    .@}#
                    ##.#
                    Last edited by wobbly; March 23, 2019, 06:10.

Comment

• NightLizard
                      Rookie
                      • Dec 2018

Here's the save and the randarts file. Although I tried a few times with new randarts, so I don't think that's the problem.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• wobbly
                        Prophet
                        • May 2012

So run is definitely not interrupting properly. I had an invisible green glutton ghost eat a food ration followed by my character killing it by moving the extra step.

Comment

• Sphara
                          Knight
                          • Oct 2016

Managed to remove a teleportation curse from a cap of telepathy (powered 38) with staff of remove curse (power 20+d20).

I got several attempts after the Cap was already fragile (I dunno if this is a bug).

Also the item has unnecessary description now that it's already clean:

j) a Hard Leather Cap of Telepathy [2,+7]
                          Dropped by a death knight at 2300 feet (level 46)

Grants telepathy. Can be destroyed if you attempt to remove its
                          curses.

(played on angband.live)

Comment

• fph
                            Veteran
                            • Apr 2009

I think fragile items only have a chance to be destroyed on a removal attempt, so it's not a bug if you got several attempts out of the staff. You were just lucky (but I don't know what the exact chance is).

Regarding the description: I guess that the item is still fragile; if it were to become cursed then it would matter (I don't think it's possible in the current game, but who knows; maybe Scroll of Curse Item could reappear one day). But I agree that it's misleading now.
                            --
                            Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Thraalbee
                              Knight
                              • Sep 2010

Thoughts on randarts (and changes to...)

Permadeath is accepted or even embraced by most Angband players. This leads to requirements for a “fair” dungeon in which randomized monsters and uniques has a very hard time to fit in. Only the dungeon and the order in which items and consumables are presented is randomized. (Sure, combat rolls etc too, but that is more of a tactical thing).
                              Standard artifacts are balanced in many ways and offer a large set of interesting items. Also, I feel the lore around these is a central part of the game. So, definitely keep standarts as default! But no matter how good the standarts set is - I’m pretty much done with games starting with a find of a *thanc, followed by the Phial and then later Arvedui and Caspanion.
                              Looking at the number of entries in “Interesting randarts” threads I guess they are important to more people than me. Randarts are also constantly criticized, but remember very few finds make it to those threads!
                              My humble requests are
                              * Don’t nerf randarts except possibly off-weapon xtra shots and blows
                              * Don’t try to mimic what is aleady there and working (standarts)
                              * No need for randarts with min level < 30 (think about it, I really believe in this)
                              * Look at min/max level, they often seem a bit off
                              * Concentrate any big change to provide new interesting scenarios like “I keep finding Deathwreaker and its sisters but there is simply no artifact jewelery out there” rather than making them “perfectly balanced”

Comment

• mrfy
                                Swordsman
                                • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Thraalbee
                                But no matter how good the standarts set is - I’m pretty much done with games starting with a find of a *thanc, followed by the Phial and then later Arvedui and Caspanion.
                                Certainly finding a *thanc and then the Phial can immensely help early characters. I don't think we should take that ability away. They're not that great that we should push them deeper, they'd never be used again.

Originally posted by Thraalbee
                                My humble requests are
                                * Don’t nerf randarts except possibly off-weapon xtra shots and blows
                                * Don’t try to mimic what is aleady there and working (standarts)
                                * No need for randarts with min level < 30 (think about it, I really believe in this)
                                * Look at min/max level, they often seem a bit off
                                * Concentrate any big change to provide new interesting scenarios like “I keep finding Deathwreaker and its sisters but there is simply no artifact jewelery out there” rather than making them “perfectly balanced”
                                Extra shots have already been nerfed quite a bit, btw.

Finding an average randart < level 30 is still a great (and lucky!) find. Don't take that away, please.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎