X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bogatyr
    Knight
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by backwardsEric
    That was a change in 4.2.3 to resolve https://github.com/angband/angband/issues/4882 : with stacks of 40 and 10 similar items using one from the stack of 40 would give a "You have 39 ..." message but a (silent) recombining of the pack would leave stacks of 40 and 9 which some felt was confusing. Firing from the last stack (highest numbered quiver slot) of the (+0, +0) arrows would avoid the recombining message, though that's admittedly less convenient since the slot number of the last stack can change while firing.
    This is amazingly annoying, especially for a ranger. I just started a 4.2.3-199 ranger and already on my first descent it's driving me crazy! The message should either be removed or made optional. Does it convey any useful information? It should be possible to opt out of quiver management messages... (both the "rearrange" and "combine")
    Last edited by Bogatyr; December 29, 2021, 08:21.

Comment

• backwardsEric
      Knight
      • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Bogatyr
      This is amazingly annoying, especially for a ranger. I just started a 4.2.3-199 ranger and already on my first descent it's driving me crazy! The message should either be removed or made optional. Does it convey any useful information? It should be possible to opt out of quiver management messages... (both the "rearrange" and "combine")
      One solution, both to PowerWyrm's concern that triggered that change and to yours, would be to report the total number of a consumable in the inventory after one is used rather than what's in the current stack and to only display the recombining message if the recombining removed a stack. The recombining message in that case does provide a bit of information - the letter (or for the quiver, number) to address a stack may have changed and, if the stack that went away was used by the last command, you won't be able to repeat that last command with 'n' (ctrl-v in the roguelike keys).

Comment

• wobbly
        Prophet
        • May 2012

Yes its that time.. time for everyone's favorite bug, quiver bugs! Anyway the character below has full inventory. If I throw the dagger or spear then walk over it, I no longer have inventory room for the spear or dagger. However if I drop an item I can pick up the spear/dagger and the item I just dropped.

Code:
        [Angband 4.2.3-225-gea84e16c3 Character Dump]

[Character Inventory]

a) 3 Necromantic Tomes [Into the Shadows] {@m1}

You can read this book.

b) a Necromantic Tome [Dark Rituals] {@m2}

You can read this book.

c) 2 Mushrooms of Terror
        d) 13 Potions of Cure Serious Wounds {@q2}
        e) a Potion of Cure Critical Wounds {@q3}
        f) a Potion of Heroism {@q4}
        g) 5 Scrolls of Phase Door {@r4}
        h) 2 Scrolls of Teleportation {@r5}
        i) 3 Scrolls of Identify Rune
        j) 5 Scrolls of Remove Hunger
        k) 2 Scrolls of Word of Recall
        l) a Rod of Drain Life {@z5}
        m) a Rod of Light {@z1}
        n) a Rod of Illumination {@z3}
        o) a Wand of Confuse Monster (2 charges)
        p) 2 Wands of Hold Monster (9 charges)
        q) a Wand of Stun Monster (2 charges)
        r) a Wand of Darkness (11 charges)
        s) a Staff of Darkness (13 charges)
        t) a Staff of Detect Invisible (5 charges)
        u) a Ring of the Mouse (+0,-8) <+2, +1>
             Found lying on the floor at 550 feet (level 11)

+2 dexterity.
             +1 stealth.

[Character Quiver]

0) 16 Rounded Pebbles (1d2) (+6,+3) {@v0 =g}
             Combat info:
             Average thrown damage: 9.

1) a Spear (1d6) (+5,+1) {@v1 =g}
             Dropped by an unknown monster at 500 feet (level 10)

Combat info:
             1.0 blows/round.
             With +3 STR and +0 DEX you would get 1.1 blows
             With +0 STR and +7 DEX you would get 1.1 blows
             Average damage/round: 11.3.
             Average thrown damage: 27.5.

2) a Dagger (1d4) (+7,+5) {@v2 =g}
             Found lying on the floor in a pit at 500 feet (level 10)

Combat info:
             1.0 blows/round.
             With +2 STR and +0 DEX you would get 1.1 blows
             With +0 STR and +7 DEX you would get 1.1 blows
             Average damage/round: 14.5.
             Average thrown damage: 22.7.

3) 40 Arrows (1d4) (+0,+0) {=g}
             Combat info:
             When fired, hits targets up to 100 feet away.
             Average damage/round: 13.
             35% chance of breaking upon contact.

4) 5 Arrows (1d4) (+0,+0) {=g}
             Combat info:
             When fired, hits targets up to 100 feet away.
             Average damage/round: 13.
             35% chance of breaking upon contact.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
          Prophet
          • Apr 2008

Info for spell Resistance gives redundant info (which isn't even fully displayed): "dur 20+d20; dur 20+d20; dur".

Looking at the code, I don't see the point of the "shared random_value". When an effect is defined by SET_VALUE + CLEAR_VALUE, the effect info should only been displayed once (for example: "dur 20+d20").
          PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• PowerWyrm
            Prophet
            • Apr 2008

Following my previous post about SET_VALUE + CLEAR_VALUE, I found a potential bug in spell_description().

In my variant, I have a class that has access to an "Elemental Bolt" spell, which is defined as:

effect:SET_VALUE
            dice:$Dd8
            expr:PLAYER_LEVEL:- 5 / 4 + 5
            effect:BOLT_OR_BEAM:ACID:0:-10
            effect:BOLT_OR_BEAM:FIRE:0:-10
            effect:BOLT_OR_BEAM:COLD:0:-10
            effect:BOLT_OR_BEAM:ELEC:0:-10
            effect:CLEAR_VALUE

When I display the description, it says: "Inflicts an average of 0 acid damage, 0 fire damage, 0 cold damage, 0 lightning damage."

This happens because the fix for shared value in spell_effect_append_value_info() didn't get ported to spell_description().
            PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

backwardsEric has done a fix for these.
              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                Prophet
                • Apr 2008

Got an assert failure when trying to generate a level with a Cloud room template. Looking at the design of the room, there is a blank space instead of a floor tile on line 7836, causing the crash (!square_isempty).

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                  Got an assert failure when trying to generate a level with a Cloud room template. Looking at the design of the room, there is a blank space instead of a floor tile on line 7836, causing the crash (!square_isempty).
                  Fix pushed.

Are you in another phase of importing stuff from V and finding bugs? I ask because I've been thinking of releasing 4.2.4 soon, and it makes sense to wait until you're done

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Nick
                    Are you in another phase of importing stuff from V and finding bugs? I ask because I've been thinking of releasing 4.2.4 soon, and it makes sense to wait until you're done
                    I am. However I'm still around last november's commits and I still have 3-4 pages to go, which I'm doing very slowly. You should just go ahead if you want to release a 4.2.4.

Comment

• Egavactip
                      Swordsman
                      • Mar 2012

Shouldn't Angband not be allowed to place creatures on lava? It's weird to go to a new level and immediately hear the screams of the burned.

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Egavactip
                        Shouldn't Angband not be allowed to place creatures on lava? It's weird to go to a new level and immediately hear the screams of the burned.
                        Agreed, that doesn't seem right.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Ugramoth
                          Maybe it's same for all versions and not specific to 4.2.3 but just saw this:
                          Drank potion of enlightenment and it listed 'an arkenstone'. But it was in grey color at the bottom, as if it was a crap item. Turned out to be perfectly fine arkenstone with no negative effects so no reason to show it as junk... good that I went to check it anyway
                          In my variant, I have ported the Phial of Undeath, which is cursed and has a base cost of 0. With this fix, any character can tell immediately which Phial is which, since Undeath will appear at the bottom of the list while Galadriel will not... I think we should use a base cost for all special artifacts (since real cost is not used anyway...)

Comment

• AndyXuma
                            Rookie
                            • Jan 2022

Hi all, new player here! I recently started playing Angband, and got a bit confused regarding the birth_ai_learn option. The documentation reads, "This option makes the game very difficult and is not recommended." However, I see that this is the default, and most players that I saw on the Ladder seem to play with it enabled. Should the documentation be updated?

Comment

• backwardsEric
                              Knight
                              • Aug 2019

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                              In my variant, I have ported the Phial of Undeath, which is cursed and has a base cost of 0. With this fix, any character can tell immediately which Phial is which, since Undeath will appear at the bottom of the list while Galadriel will not... I think we should use a base cost for all special artifacts (since real cost is not used anyway...)
                              To me, the quick solution would be to set the cost of the Phial of Undeath to be the same as the Phial of Galadriel; then they'd look the same until touched. The previous behavior, having the kind's cost be zero for special artifacts which don't have a base object kind iin object.txt, led to what Ugramoth mentioned. That seems undesirable for both of your Phials - until touched they end up sorted with the worthless items in the object list.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                                Prophet
                                • Apr 2007

Andy--
                                The option is pretty much fixed. It no longer means monsters spam self-heal. (Back when, I tried that once as a paladin, and couldn't get Morgoth below 5 stars.)

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎