Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

The only one of those that is critical is resist heat and cold. I absolutely hate juggling !rHeat and !rCold depending on which uniques i want to kill. The others are trivial to replace with devices.

Comment

• archolewa
      Swordsman
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Pete Mack
      The only one of those that is critical is resist heat and cold. I absolutely hate juggling !rHeat and !rCold depending on which uniques i want to kill. The others are trivial to replace with devices.
      You don't even need !rCold. I regularly don't bother carrying those (just aren't enough big cold breathers to be worth it, and most of those are dragons who'll sleep through a nuclear holocaust). If I happen to find some on the same level as Scatha, I'll pop 'em and take him down, but otherwise ignore him until Con is maxed.

Even !rHeat, I don't usually look for until I'm in the endgame and want to kill off the Balrogs (I like to kill off all of the passwall and tunneling Uniques before fighting Morgoth).

Comment

• normkewl
        Rookie
        • Jan 2021

Monster memory

Monster memory is not fully working on generational characters (a Roman numeral after the name). It is not remembering uniques, such as Farmer Maggot's Dogs, Lagduf(sp?) the Snaga, etc. This failure to remember monsters encountered by the player's ancestors is on all the nightly builds 4.2.3+

Comment

• sffp
          Swordsman
          • Apr 2020

Playing 4.2.3 for the first time, my human warrior is noticing that the ten iron shots of slay animal purchased at the store have remarkable resilience. despite frequent usage in dispatching hydras, I still have the same ten shots of slay animal

(not that Ospenya minds...)

As a matter of fact, now that I look at it, ALL of my ammo says 0% chance of breaking on contact...

Comment

• Sky
            Veteran
            • Oct 2016

well, during my escapades i died .. a few times. I decided to carry on just to see what was there.

I got cornered by Huorns a couple times. As they have the same speed as me, and they blind me, i cannot Phase. Taking down one is feasible, but at the cost of *many* CCW.

i walked into a room. I know, i know, bad mistake. But i only have detect evil, no rods of detection. Wiruin breathed on me, and fair enough, if only it didnt look like it came from a vortex, but it did.

I finally got to DL97 at CL39, and here, despite being fairly decent at this game, could simply not cope.

Tons of passwall ganking me. I move at +10 and have only 1x Rod TO and 2x wand, with very few charges. I carry ?Rech but regardless, too much stuff. Serpents of chaos, balrogs having passwall, Gothmog and .. well, Lungorthin likes sleeping, so, but Maeglin, maya of Aule, and i seem to notice that Nazguls are back en forte to their 3.x level, stronger and summoning each other.
            I also note that, for weird reasons, now Adunabeth The Quiet has lost his passwall ability.

I use passwall and kill-wall as one and the same. can't be bothered.

Oh, and the black breath.

Oh and somehow, being drained despite sustains. And no, not a time attack.

No word of destruction, no portal, not even earthquake.
            I even found a ring of power that, for some incredible stroke of luck, activates for portal !!! and i still couldn't survive.

so, i'm happy for you if you like this, but i'm gonna call time on my adventure in future angband development.
            Good luck on your future adventures.
            "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• archolewa
              Swordsman
              • Feb 2019

@Sky Did you powerdive the second half of the game? I find that unless you're a mage or rogue, powerdiving and grinding the high 90s is not a particularly good idea. I do best if I descend fairly steadily. Map/Treausre detect most of each level, and go after any gear I can get to and uniques I can fight.

If I do that, I have little difficulty handling the bottom of the dungeon, especially as a paladin. Between Single Combat and Slay Demon Balrogs are almost loot pinatas.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

@sky--
                Powerdive to DL 84. Greater Balrogs are DL 85, and Lungorthin or Gothmog from DL 90+ will bring more.
                Also, detection is a necessity unless you have very high stealth. Greater Balrogs wake up very easily in ESP range. Detect at greater distance and they are more avoidable.

Comment

• sffp
                  Swordsman
                  • Apr 2020

Started a rogue now after Kavlax took out my promising human warrior (note to self - do not angband during work calls regardless of how boring)

I'm noticing that I can't use p to start my magic (previous versions had p and m as interchangable...)

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2009

The new Random birth functions (*) or (@) in the nightlies for 4.2.3 are very cool!
                    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Pete Mack
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2007

Can necromancers eat Lembas? (It is poisonous to orcs, and Gollum refused it.)

Comment

• Estie
                        Veteran
                        • Apr 2008

I have to agree with Sky here - I dont like the late game either. The beefed up new monsters are fine, but the density is not. Everything either boring through walls or having supreme pathfinding means @ is forced into tactical combat the moment he sets foot on the level. While this increases the danger, it also makes the dungeon small. It feels like I am entering a big weird-shaped room and it removes a strategic level of the game - decisions where to explore, what to avoid.

I want Angband to reproduce the feeling of Moria in the book. And that was not an action flick racing from one combat encounter to the next, it also had passages where the tension came from the darkness, the fear of the unknown, the decision which path to take.

I understand why Nick has done all this, but there are other ways to increase game difficulty. Lowering @ hitpoints for example. While that means more chances for instant death, I very much prefer it over the overblown mess that we have now.

I played tome2 for a long time, but returned to vanilla when I got sick of the monty haul game. I have a similar feeling again - having played the extreme new vanilla, I find myself yearning for a more basic game. Thats what vanilla should be, in my humble opinion. The new vanilla is like an extreme variant.

Nick - I am sorry for making this post. I love most of the things you have done, but the changes to monsters and pathfinding break it for me.

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Estie
                          I have to agree with Sky here - I dont like the late game either. The beefed up new monsters are fine, but the density is not. Everything either boring through walls or having supreme pathfinding means @ is forced into tactical combat the moment he sets foot on the level. While this increases the danger, it also makes the dungeon small. It feels like I am entering a big weird-shaped room and it removes a strategic level of the game - decisions where to explore, what to avoid.
                          OK, I'm listening, and I have a few questions:
                          1. Which monsters are the main problem? Would it be solved by, for example, taking away tunneling from balrogs and making storms of unmagic rarer?
                          2. Which classes are giving you the worst experience, and is there a noticeable difference?
                          3. What gameplay difference are you seeing from better pathfinding?
                          4. Is part of the problem too many vaults/pits/special rooms?

It's also worth saying that one of my aims was to make the increase in danger more steady as you descend, to get away from the old "get through statgain, and then dive to speed ring depth" technique that had arisen because there were few new monsters below level 50. One of the consequences of this is that DL98 should now be noticeably more dangerous than DL70.
                          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Estie
                            Veteran
                            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Nick
                            OK, I'm listening, and I have a few questions:
                            1. Which monsters are the main problem? Would it be solved by, for example, taking away tunneling from balrogs and making storms of unmagic rarer?
                            2. Which classes are giving you the worst experience, and is there a noticeable difference?
                            3. What gameplay difference are you seeing from better pathfinding?
                            4. Is part of the problem too many vaults/pits/special rooms?

It's also worth saying that one of my aims was to make the increase in danger more steady as you descend, to get away from the old "get through statgain, and then dive to speed ring depth" technique that had arisen because there were few new monsters below level 50. One of the consequences of this is that DL98 should now be noticeably more dangerous than DL70.
                            ad 1: Those two are the main offenders; uniques could be less frequent and hounds of Tindalos are also in the "destruct or leave level" category. Nether worms turn vaults into simple pits. I dont know if it would solve, but it would go a long way.

ad 2: Its the same for all classes.

ad 3: Teleport (other and self) doesnt get rid of most things. Sometimes, a dangerous but dumb monster would be visible through ESP, but blocked by geometry. You could deal with lesser threats while keeping tabs on the dangerous one, aware that phasing was not an option.

Generally speaking, you could do interesting things on a level; now, everything thats left is destruct or banish.

ad 4: I am not sure. The thing is that I want to spend most of my time on vault levels, so if you make them rare, I just keep searching longer (as it used to be).

On dlvl 60 a great vault is a terribly dangerous, but potentially lucrative feature. On 98, it becomes a lucrative safety feature thanks to perma walls.

To preserve the risk/reward status of vaults, you could make great weapons, the high dragon armors, rings of speed, the top artifacts as well as the super monsters like sky dragons all native to depths > 100. Storywise, it can be justified - the book is full of hints of things that are older, dangerous in their own right and that dont care about Sauron.

Alernatively, place Morgoth on dlvl 75.

Comment

• Voovus
                              Adept
                              • Feb 2018

it also had passages where the tension came from the darkness, the fear of the unknown, the decision which path to take.
                              For that kind of suspense you might like to dig out Rogue.

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

ad 1: Those two are the main offenders; uniques could be less frequent and hounds of Tindalos are also in the "destruct or leave level" category. Nether worms turn vaults into simple pits. I dont know if it would solve, but it would go a long way.
                                OK, I'll start there.

ad 3: Teleport (other and self) doesnt get rid of most things. Sometimes, a dangerous but dumb monster would be visible through ESP, but blocked by geometry. You could deal with lesser threats while keeping tabs on the dangerous one, aware that phasing was not an option.
                                I'll have a think about what's possible and plausible here. I think the main issue is that monster hearing now is pretty much a "find the shortest path to the player" algorithm, and what we probably want is something extra in there that the player can exploit sometimes. Perhaps if a monster is close by direct distance but further by path distance they will have trouble finding the path (which would look like your "by geometry").

To preserve the risk/reward status of vaults, you could make great weapons, the high dragon armors, rings of speed, the top artifacts as well as the super monsters like sky dragons all native to depths > 100. Storywise, it can be justified - the book is full of hints of things that are older, dangerous in their own right and that dont care about Sauron.

Alernatively, place Morgoth on dlvl 75.
                                Let's keep that up our sleeve and see how other things work first
                                One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                                In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎