Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideways
    Knight
    • Nov 2008

No; devices absorbed by Magic-Eaters still function as devices, not as spells, so a +devicepower item would affect their power but a wizardry ring will not.
    The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• NotCIAAgent
      Rookie
      • Aug 2020

Are throwing weapons better than Slings for class with bad ranged capability?

I am doing a Hammermaster, and I decided to just use the pebbles instead of a sling. It is not bad, I get a decent range, and hit often enough, doing up to 6 damage, is not something to be discarded on early game, specially considering how little they weigh, but could I be doing better?

Comment

• Sideways
        Knight
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by NotCIAAgent
        Are throwing weapons better than Slings for class with bad ranged capability?

I am doing a Hammermaster, and I decided to just use the pebbles instead of a sling. It is not bad, I get a decent range, and hit often enough, doing up to 6 damage, is not something to be discarded on early game, specially considering how little they weigh, but could I be doing better?
        In general you're better off using a ranged weapon (and/or offensive devices) than throwing your projectiles; but at the very beginning (when your proficiency with a sling or a bow might be abysmally low, and you perhaps have not even found one yet) there is some allure to throwing ammo. On most characters, though, I'd view it as something you might do when you've happened to find ammo but not a sling and want to do some damage from range. Ninjas with their bonuses for throwing Iron Spikes are a special case.

The one case where I might deliberately plan to throw ammo is if I'm doing the Thieves' Hideout quest really early on some character with low HP and low offensive options otherwise, and every bit of extra damage counts; say, a squishy mage type with poor melee damage and low mana or no offensive spells yet. But mage types don't have the best throwing accuracy, so it isn't a great solution, just a better-than-nothing one.

Comment

• budswell
          Adept
          • Jun 2008

Couple of possessor questions:
          - When posessing a novice rogue why do I get the spellcasting warning when wearing glove? The body has no spells?
          - For most (all?) other classes wanted corpses weigh 4 lbs. But as a possessor they seem to weigh calculated weight (50+ lbs). I get this is probably to stop possessors carrying around corposes to switch to. But doesn't seem "fair", and really a hassle if you end up with two or more wanted corpses on same dive.
          http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-browse.php?e=budswell
          http://te4.org/user/1471/characters

Comment

• Sideways
            Knight
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by budswell
            Couple of possessor questions:
            - When posessing a novice rogue why do I get the spellcasting warning when wearing glove? The body has no spells?
            - For most (all?) other classes wanted corpses weigh 4 lbs. But as a possessor they seem to weigh calculated weight (50+ lbs). I get this is probably to stop possessors carrying around corposes to switch to. But doesn't seem "fair", and really a hassle if you end up with two or more wanted corpses on same dive.
            Normal player rogues suffer glove encumbrance (i.e. their mana pool is reduced if they wear gloves without at least one of +Dex, +Md or Fa); and novice rogues have "rogue" as their possessor pseudo-class, so they inherit that mechanic. Note that while novice rogues don't have spells, they do have a mana pool, which they can potentially use with mutation powers or a mana-branded weapon.

Hugo has been complaining about corpse weights for years. He wants everyone to have the heavy corpses

Comment

• ShadowTechnology
              Apprentice
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Sideways
              Normal player rogues suffer glove encumbrance (i.e. their mana pool is reduced if they wear gloves without at least one of +Dex, +Md or Fa); and novice rogues have "rogue" as their possessor pseudo-class, so they inherit that mechanic. Note that while novice rogues don't have spells, they do have a mana pool, which they can potentially use with mutation powers or a mana-branded weapon.

Hugo has been complaining about corpse weights for years. He wants everyone to have the heavy corpses
              One could propose a perfectly logical solution to the paradox. For wanted corpses, you only have to present "proof of death". The head is generally sufficient. But possessors need the whole body.

Comment

• budswell
                Adept
                • Jun 2008

I think I remember reading (either the help or a Sideways post) that Igors only need to submit the ears for a bounty. Is that right?
                But no other race/class can dismember corpses.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                  Swordsman
                  • Feb 2009

Hmm, Arrow crafters use Skeletons to make arrows, a corpse should/could contain a skeleton as well.

Comment

• Sideways
                    Knight
                    • Nov 2008

I think I remember reading (either the help or a Sideways post) that Igors only need to submit the ears for a bounty. Is that right?
                    But no other race/class can dismember corpses.
                    Yes, it's canon that the ears (or the head) are sufficient proof of a wanted kill.

Comment

• budswell
                      Adept
                      • Jun 2008

Hi, I have noticed something which doesn't seem quite right (not sure if its actually a bug).

I currently have 1x see Invisible, so invisible monsters kind of flit in and out.
                      But I have noticed that using SHIFT-5 to centre the screen seems to re-evaluate whether I can see them or not. So combining L and SHIFT-5 (so no actual action) you can keep forcing redraws and eventually see the sneaky so&sos that you know are there.
                      Last edited by budswell; January 4, 2021, 03:25.

Comment

• Sideways
                        Knight
                        • Nov 2008

Hi, I have noticed something which doesn't seem quite right (not sure if its actually a bug).

I currently have 1x see Invisible, so invisible monsters kind of flit in and out.
                        But I have noticed that using SHIFT-5 to centre the screen seems to re-evaluate whether I can see them or not. So combining L and SHIFT-5 (so no actual action) you can keep forcing redraws and eventually see the sneaky so&sos that you know are there.
                        Thanks, this look like a bug. (What keys like Shift+5 do is entirely dependent on keyboard layout, but I presume you're using it to trigger Recenter Viewport; and I can reproduce the issue using ^V.)

Comment

• budswell
                          Adept
                          • Jun 2008

Playing an Igor. Just got
                          "Hands of Nar the Dwarf (+2)"
                          What is the bonus for? Other body parts usually say which stat its for.
                          Is it the same as when you find gloves (+1) (I don't know what that +1 is for either - had assumed martial arts)

Comment

• Sideways
                            Knight
                            • Nov 2008

Playing an Igor. Just got
                            "Hands of Nar the Dwarf (+2)"
                            What is the bonus for? Other body parts usually say which stat its for.
                            Is it the same as when you find gloves (+1) (I don't know what that +1 is for either - had assumed martial arts)
                            That sounds like a to-dam bonus, it would say (+2,+0) if it were to-hit.

Comment

• wobbly
                              Prophet
                              • May 2012

Double magic on the red mage is behaving in odd ways when using the repeat command. Sometimes it'll repeat both, sometimes it only repeats the first. Also seems to ignore the book inscriptions.

Comment

• fred
                                Rookie
                                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Sideways
                                That is very strange, there should be absolutely no way that could happen. Are you sure it wasn't a staff of identify or an absorbed Identify spell?

First Morgul I have come across since initially posting, used absorbed ID spell to initially ID all items, then ring ID power *ID*'d the morgul. Level 50 ring.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎