Bug report: stats of Q's are not shown correctly
    Attached Files

Comment

• Sideways
      Knight
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by LordL
      Bug report: stats of Q's are not shown correctly
      Thanks for the report. This is not a bug per se, it's a byproduct of how stats are displayed. Stats on the birth screen are always displayed as applicable at birth, i.e. character level 1. Stats in the help files, though, are displayed as of character level 35; by which time quylthulgs have evolved a bit and gained better racial stats as a consequence.
      The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• AwooWolfWoof
        Rookie
        • Apr 2021

I've got a question regarding the Agwilian Stables quest in instant coffe mode guys: Are one of the chambers always closed/jammed/locked? I think it's the one with the fiendish donkeys.

Comment

• Sideways
          Knight
          • Nov 2008

Both the donkey chamber and the hrulga chamber are jammed, the hrulgas almost invariably break out of their chamber though. (I see your last dump was a Berserker. If you're wondering how to get into the donkey chamber on a Berserker, try bashing down the doors with the B command.)

Comment

• LordL
            Rookie
            • Jul 2021

Maybe we should import vanilla feature of autoshooting nearest enemy when pressing 'h'?

Comment

• Sideways
              Knight
              • Nov 2008

You can keymap h to fa*5 (if you have use_old_target off) or *5fa (if you have use_old_target on) if you want that; although you should note that this may break down if you inscribe ammo with a different slot label like @f1.

Comment

• budswell
                Adept
                • Jun 2008

How long has Witchwood been the land of Oz?
                I thought I was sure its been Witchwood with previous characters on the same version. Is it random? Or am I being my usual unobservant self?
                I'm kind of enjoying the two flavours of Oz mixed together. (Do the flaming crows evolve into "Flamin' Galahs"?)
                Last edited by budswell; December 12, 2021, 16:08.
                http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-browse.php?e=budswell
                http://te4.org/user/1471/characters

Comment

• GrimaTheBold
                  Apprentice
                  • Jan 2020

Originally posted by budswell
                  How long has Witchwood been the land of Oz?
                  I thought I was sure its been Witchwood with previous characters on the same version. Is it random? Or am I being my usual unobservant self?
                  I'm kind of enjoying the two flavours of Oz mixed together. (Do the flaming crows evolve into "Flamin' Galahs"?)
                  It's an alternate, like getting Troll Caves instead of Orc Caves. Random, but not sure if its 50/50 or something different.

Comment

• GrimaTheBold
                    Apprentice
                    • Jan 2020

Quick question: Does +10% Device Power on gloves increase damage from wands? When I ID the wand it shows the same damage (say 5d8) whether or not I wear the gloves, but maybe that's just a display limitation.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by GrimaTheBold
                      Quick question: Does +10% Device Power on gloves increase damage from wands? When I ID the wand it shows the same damage (say 5d8) whether or not I wear the gloves, but maybe that's just a display limitation.
                      Also: Is +10% Device Power specific to only book spells, magical devices, or both?
                      My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Sideways
                        Knight
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by GrimaTheBold
                        The damage is increased; that's a display limitation, caused by the damage for that particular device being displayed as a roll. The displayer tries to add the +10% boost to the number of dice, but it's working with integer math, resulting in 5 * 1.1 = 5.

Comment

• budswell
                          Adept
                          • Jun 2008

Hi, I have a couple of questions about riding:
                          - How do I improve riding skill. Melee while mounted? Shooting while mounted? Spells/abilities while mounted? Does level of mount affect this?
                          - While mounted is does the mount speed affect everything or just movement? What about melee? (which is kind of movement)
                          - Ralated to previous question: is there any benefit to improving my character's speed while mounted?

Comment

• Sideways
                            Knight
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by budswell
                            Hi, I have a couple of questions about riding:
                            - How do I improve riding skill. Melee while mounted? Shooting while mounted? Spells/abilities while mounted? Does level of mount affect this?
                            - While mounted is does the mount speed affect everything or just movement? What about melee? (which is kind of movement)
                            - Ralated to previous question: is there any benefit to improving my character's speed while mounted?
                            Quotes from various places in the in-game manual (the proficiency help, the pet help and the speed help):

Riding proficiency is the key to everything about riding a monster; it determines which monsters you can ride, how much of your mount's speed you gain, how likely your mount is to throw you off, how rapidly your mount recovers from various status effects, how negatively riding impacts your spellcasting, how much you are penalized for fighting with unsuitable weapons. Consequently, your proficiency cap is very important if you plan to ride; for characters with low caps, riding is only viable in the early game, if at all.

Riding proficiency can be improved in several ways: through meleeing sufficiently high-level monsters while riding, through shooting high-level monsters while riding (conditions easy to meet, but improvement very slow), and by experiencing situations where you can be thrown off a challenging mount.

Riding proficiency follows a slightly different labeling system compared to the other proficiencies; [Be]ginner, [Sk]illed and [Ex]pert correspond to lower percentages of full mastery in it. As with the other non-spell proficiencies, riding proficiency and its cap can be viewed in the ~P proficiency display.
                            The most important feature of riding is speed. When you are riding on a pet, your speed does not depend on your original speed but only on the speed of your mount and your skill at riding. Quaffing a potion of speed has no effect on your mount's speed, but throwing it at a wall will hasten your pet if it is nearby. You can also simply use a wand or a spell of Haste Monster.

Note that your proficiency level for riding is very low at first (see 'Proficiency' in the ~ Knowledge Menu). When your proficiency level is low, you cannot make good use of riding, and your speed while riding will be very low. You need to practice riding to gain the full speed of the creature you ride. Your riding proficiency will increase a little when you attack monsters in melee or shoot them with missile weapons while riding. Ride on low level creatures at first, and then switch to higher level mounts little by little.
                            Note that if you ride a pet, your speed (for all purposes!) will depend entirely on your Riding skill and the speed of your mount. Speed equipment will not help you any, nor will quaffing a Potion of Speed; you can, however, temporarily haste the mount. Many mounts are very fast, allowing you to reach a high speed without much investment in speed equipment - but watch out, that could come back to bite you if you get thrown off...

Comment

• budswell
                              Adept
                              • Jun 2008

Awesome. Thanks again for you great game and incredible support

Comment

• budswell
                                Adept
                                • Jun 2008

Related to GrimaTheBold's question:
                                Am I right in assuming a "Ring of Wizardy (+0,+16)" add damage to spells?
                                But my current character is a "breath" Dragon, and there is no difference in the displayed damage of either my 'm' or 'U' breaths.

Is it a display issue, or do rings of Wizardy not help dragons.
                                If the latter - is it because they are non-book spells? Or is it because they are fixed damage spells as opposed to XdY?
                                Last edited by budswell; December 17, 2021, 07:05.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍