X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CyclopsSlayer
    Swordsman
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Sideways
    I believe ZAngband 2.0.0, the direct ancestor of Frog, was forked from Vanilla Angband 2.8.1; so all versions of FrogComposband (and Composband and PosChengband and Chengband and Hengband, and ZAngband from 2.0.0 up) are ultimately based on V 2.8.1. Of course, they have come quite a long way since then...
    Offhand, did the monster play come from Posband being merged into Cheng? That was the first variant I knew of that allowed Possessors and monsters. I had always thought Poscheng was a conflation of the two.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer
      Offhand, did the monster play come from Posband being merged into Cheng? That was the first variant I knew of that allowed Possessors and monsters. I had always thought Poscheng was a conflation of the two.
      Yes, that's correct. Various people (including me) had tried to revive Posband, and then Chris came along and did it a million times better than all previous attempts.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

I am guessing modern (4.0 and later) would make for a way cleaner PosBand re-implementation than PCB. That codebase includes some of the worst old-school spaghetti code I have seen in a looong time.

Comment

• lea2501
          Apprentice
          • Dec 2019

Also, another couple of questions, as i just started to play frogcomposband, having played vanilla angband for a couple of years. I wanted to knos if there's an order to get to the different dungeons in the wilderness map. Cause I just completed the first warrens dungeon and then headed directly to angband, cause it's a place i know from the wilderness, but also don't know if that is supposed to be the next dungeon or if its another "path" to take. Also, if i go to the same warrens dungeons again, do i need to kill the unique again? or he will not be there anymore?

Also it's damn fun to play as a high-mage chaos magic realm, much more initial Mana and spells than vanilla angband mage in the start game. Very different feeling. But other question i have, is that I have two books, one of them I purchased in the initial town, "Sign of Chaos" and "Chaos Mastery" but I assume there are more chaos books, i assume in other towns or dungeons, because I have a "study (5)" in my stats (I'm level cLvl12) and I cannot study any more spells from those two books, it's that right?

Comment

• Sideways
            Knight
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by lea2501
            Also, another couple of questions, as i just started to play frogcomposband, having played vanilla angband for a couple of years. I wanted to knos if there's an order to get to the different dungeons in the wilderness map.
            Like the help says, there isn't any one right order to do the dungeons in; although in the early game it generally goes something like Warrens->Hideout->Icky Cave (if you like it...)->Tidal Cave->Labyrinth->Orc Cave/Troll Cave->Lonely Mountain etc. Labyrinth and Camelot are frequently tagged on a single wilderness trip, since they both start at dl 20 and are in the same general area west of Outpost. It is very typical for players to have a toe in many uncompleted dungeons simultaneously, and there's a lot of variance in when players get started in the Angband dungeon and how much time they spend there. Some people like to go there early and kill as many of the random level guardians as quickly as they can, but it's also not that rare to basically skip Angband for most of the game.

Note also that town quests are a really big part of the game, and deciding exactly when to do those is probably a more important call than deciding when to enter (or engage the boss of) any particular dungeon. Quests can be very rewarding, but they also have a nasty tendency to kill characters.

Dead uniques stay dead... mostly, anyway You can return to Warrens as many times as you wish, but if you already killed Mughash you won't run into him again, nor will there be another bottom guardian.

Each magic realm has two town books and two dungeon books (apart from Arcane, which has four town books and no dungeon books). Note that while you might not be able to study new spells right now, you do have the option of studying a previously learned spell again to gain more proficiency in it. See ?m for more details on how book magic works in FrogComposband.
            The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• lea2501
              Apprentice
              • Dec 2019

Like the help says, there isn't any one right order to do the dungeons in; although in the early game it generally goes something like Warrens->Hideout->Icky Cave (if you like it...)->Tidal Cave->Labyrinth->Orc Cave/Troll Cave->Lonely Mountain etc. Labyrinth and Camelot are frequently tagged on a single wilderness trip, since they both start at dl 20 and are in the same general area west of Outpost. It is very typical for players to have a toe in many uncompleted dungeons simultaneously, and there's a lot of variance in when players get started in the Angband dungeon and how much time they spend there. Some people like to go there early and kill as many of the random level guardians as quickly as they can, but it's also not that rare to basically skip Angband for most of the game.

Note also that town quests are a really big part of the game, and deciding exactly when to do those is probably a more important call than deciding when to enter (or engage the boss of) any particular dungeon. Quests can be very rewarding, but they also have a nasty tendency to kill characters.

Dead uniques stay dead... mostly, anyway You can return to Warrens as many times as you wish, but if you already killed Mughash you won't run into him again, nor will there be another bottom guardian.

Each magic realm has two town books and two dungeon books (apart from Arcane, which has four town books and no dungeon books). Note that while you might not be able to study new spells right now, you do have the option of studying a previously learned spell again to gain more proficiency in it. See ?m for more details on how book magic works in FrogComposband.
              Wow thank you so much for that information!

Comment

• Susramanian
                Apprentice
                • Feb 2010

Scrolls of Crafting

Scrolls of Crafting seem to ignore either an item's level or level restrictions on egos. For example, I was on level 561 of Heaven and found a nice set of dragon wings (which displayed a level of 127 when inspected, like everything else that drops in Heaven). I had a scroll of Crafting on me, so used it on the wings while still on level 561 of Heaven. The result was "of immolation," an ego that's supposed to have a max level of 60. I think this behavior has been around for years. Is it intended?

I hope not

Thanks for your time in advance, and congrats on another very fun release!

Comment

• Sideways
                  Knight
                  • Nov 2008

Crafting is based on the player's level rather than the object's level or the dungeon level; and since player levels can't go higher than 50, that would be within the range for Immolation. (I am not entirely sure whether the object's level, the dungeon's level and/or the object kind's native level figure into things somewhere or not; but the main input is the player's CL.)

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                    Swordsman
                    • Feb 2009

Doh... I feel rather ashamed I never knew this... I have always seen players Char names with a numeric number and just thought they had done it manually.

Imagine my surprise when I created a character 'Sam II' and when they died and I reused the save it automatically was 'Sam III' A rather fun feature.

Comment

• Susramanian
                      Apprentice
                      • Feb 2010

Crafting is based on the player's level rather than the object's level or the dungeon level; and since player levels can't go higher than 50, that would be within the range for Immolation. (I am not entirely sure whether the object's level, the dungeon's level and/or the object kind's native level figure into things somewhere or not; but the main input is the player's CL.)
                      That seems pretty wrong to base Crafting off the player's level when all the levels specified in e_info have nothing to do with the player's level. It explains why virtually every time I've used a scroll of Crafting I was disappointed.

Is it feasible to make Crafting work off the item's level?

Comment

• Sideways
                        Knight
                        • Nov 2008

I'm not entirely happy with the current situation, but I'm not sure basing Crafting off the item's original generation level would be an improvement or more intuitive, as the generation level has no other effects post-generation. (Basing it off the item kind's native level would also be non-ideal.)

Possible new approaches I would consider are 1) for Crafting scrolls to have a regular, flat power like scrolls of Fire, Ice, Genocide etc. do; or 2) for Crafting to give better results deeper in the dungeon like Acquirement does. The latter would be extremely easy to code, though I'm not sure I like that approach personally; it's still the same scroll, the same base item and the same player wherever the process happens.

From the perspective of a Craft caster using Crafting as a spell, it makes perfect sense that the spell's power scales up with CL the same way as other Craft enchantment spells; and I think the reason scrolls also use the player's level is so the spell and the scroll can share the same code more comfortably, but it shouldn't be very hard to separate the two.

Comment

• Susramanian
                          Apprentice
                          • Feb 2010

Possible new approaches I would consider are 1) for Crafting scrolls to have a regular, flat power like scrolls of Fire, Ice, Genocide etc. do; or 2) for Crafting to give better results deeper in the dungeon like Acquirement does. The latter would be extremely easy to code, though I'm not sure I like that approach personally; it's still the same scroll, the same base item and the same player wherever the process happens.
                          I'd be happy with either of those, as long as there's potential for exciting end-game crafting with them! For example, when I finally beat the serpent and start poking around Heaven, I'd like it to be possible for my accumulated crafting scrolls to at least give me a chance of boots of Feanor or a Wild weapon.

I agree that option two is awkward; it would encourage weird or annoying play. But it would be an improvement on the current situation, so I'd be happy with it

A couple more options, just for fun:

3) Make Crafting still based off the player's level, but apply a multiplier to map the 1 to 50 player level range to the 1 to 127 item level range. So player level * 2.54 gives the power of the crafting scroll. Still weird to go plugging in the player's level into an equation that has nothing to do with player level, but at least the range of inputs would match.

4) Base it off fame somehow. For example, the player's max reforge power divided by 1000, capped at 127. That would get the job done, but its linearity might produce too-weak results for much of the game. Something logarithmic could fix that, like 10*ln(x/1000+1) + x / 2000, where x is the player's max reforge power.

Comment

• GrimaTheBold
                            Apprentice
                            • Jan 2020

Hi, can you tell me more about Hide in Shadows? First time I've found the 4th Rogue spellbook so I feel like a kid in a candy shop.

When I cast it, my Stealth score doesn't increase, so I assume it isn't as simple as just increasing stealth. When cast, I get periodic messages "you are hiding i n shadows" or "You are mantled in shadow from ordinary eyes!" but I don't understand what I'm actually gaining from that or how to make best use of it.

One more general question: for mid- to late game, how do you balance your build for stealth vs. offense? I'm CL 44, down to DL 59 (coffee-break). I just found Yositsune and finally swapped it in for Hithloemir which I'd worn a long time. For the time time in ages, my stealth dropped below Amber down to Heroic (though its back to Amber[25] when I cast Tread Softly). Is that below ideal? I'm getting over 730 HP damage (770 vs. evil) per turn (Sting/Careth, ring of combat, Cambeleg, Boromir, etc), both STR & DEX 18/**) - would it be better to give up some damage output to get base stealth back in to Amber.

Comment

• Sideways
                              Knight
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by GrimaTheBold
                              Hi, can you tell me more about Hide in Shadows? First time I've found the 4th Rogue spellbook so I feel like a kid in a candy shop.

When I cast it, my Stealth score doesn't increase, so I assume it isn't as simple as just increasing stealth. When cast, I get periodic messages "you are hiding i n shadows" or "You are mantled in shadow from ordinary eyes!" but I don't understand what I'm actually gaining from that or how to make best use of it.
                              I think it's like the ninja thing where monsters have a hard time perceiving you even if they're nearby and awake; in theory you could walk through a room full of awake monsters without being noticed, though in practice someone will likely spot you at some point. You also qualify for extra-strong criticals when you hit a monster from the shadows (though rogue crits are not quite as good as ninja crits).

One more general question: for mid- to late game, how do you balance your build for stealth vs. offense? I'm CL 44, down to DL 59 (coffee-break). I just found Yositsune and finally swapped it in for Hithloemir which I'd worn a long time. For the time time in ages, my stealth dropped below Amber down to Heroic (though its back to Amber[25] when I cast Tread Softly). Is that below ideal? I'm getting over 730 HP damage (770 vs. evil) per turn (Sting/Careth, ring of combat, Cambeleg, Boromir, etc), both STR & DEX 18/**) - would it be better to give up some damage output to get base stealth back in to Amber.
                              On the face of it, those sound like the kind of numbers you don't have bad options with; though the raw damage number might be somewhat misleading since dual-wielding likely means somewhat lower accuracy than normal. But I doubt you need either more stealth or more offense; just make sure you have enough resists and speed and HP to avoid inconvenient deaths.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                                Swordsman
                                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by GrimaTheBold

I wonder if that is similar to the Ninja 'Hide' innate, do you see a message at the bottom of your screen that says 'Hiding'? Those messages are the same that a Ninja gets.
                                It might not be as any source of light you carry prevents hiding as a Ninja unless you have items granting darkness. Sting grants light, and so do far too many egos and artifacts, grrr.

Try taking off any light and stand in a darkened area and see what happens IF you cast See in Dark first.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎