X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideways
    Knight
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
    I wonder why the cost is still -100 in this case? I was expecting a greater cost.
    Confused moves do not spend any more energy than regular moves. 1 wasted move is just 1 wasted move.
    The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
      Swordsman
      • Feb 2009

Just died as my Spectre was confused and wandered into a wall. Kept walking in an effort to escape. Stupid summoners summoning more nameds... lol

Comment

• Bostock
        Swordsman
        • Aug 2007

The new option to show energy used is cool.

Why is the energy-used display sometimes orange though? I get it after teleporting with my staff of teleportation, for example.
        So you ride yourselves over the fields and you make all your animal deals and your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick.

Comment

• GrimaTheBold
          Apprentice
          • Jan 2020

Did anything change on the effectiveness of Identify? It feels like more items than before still have unknown attributes (the "?") after identifying than before. And I'll go broke fast if I have to spend $3,000 for *Identify* on every random piece of Elemental Protection armor for example to see what it resists, or every weapon with a Slay brand to find out what it slays. Another example, I could have sworn before that if I Identified Bolts of Slaying, it would tell me who the Slay applied against, while now it requires me to *Identify* it or sell one to the shop.

Is that a change? I didn't see anything about that in the changelog other than the Dragon Armor change.

I had to recreate all my preferences on angband.live with the new version, so it's possible I missed something in the preferences that's causing this, but I don't see it. And I didn't play with Easy Identify on because that feels like cheating to me.

Oh and unrelated question: the description of Balrog says they need to get nutrition from sacrificing humans, but it looks like they can sacrifice gnomes and elves as well. Is it really just tied to the symbol "p" or "h"? I.e. when it says they need to sacrifice humans, they meant humanoids?
          Last edited by GrimaTheBold; July 12, 2020, 20:30.

Comment

• Sideways
            Knight
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by GrimaTheBold
            Did anything change on the effectiveness of Identify? It feels like more items than before still have unknown attributes (the "?") after identifying than before. And I'll go broke fast if I have to spend $3,000 for *Identify* on every random piece of Elemental Protection armor for example to see what it resists, or every weapon with a Slay brand to find out what it slays. Another example, I could have sworn before that if I Identified Bolts of Slaying, it would tell me who the Slay applied against, while now it requires me to *Identify* it or sell one to the shop.

Is that a change? I didn't see anything about that in the changelog other than the Dragon Armor change.
            Nothing changed except the dragon armor thing (which is optional), but since you're playing on angband.live it's still fairly clear what's happening. *Identify*ing attributes on artifacts and ego items helps you recognize the same attributes on the same ego more easily the next time you see them. Your old savefile had presumably accumulated a lot of such object lore over time; it is only wiped between characters if you turn the empty_lore option on; but since Gwarl did not copy your old savefile to salmiak, your object memory is now empty again.

Oh and unrelated question: the description of Balrog says they need to get nutrition from sacrificing humans, but it looks like they can sacrifice gnomes and elves as well. Is it really just tied to the symbol "p" or "h"? I.e. when it says they need to sacrifice humans, they meant humanoids?
            Yes, that is what it means. Townspeople ('t') are okay too.

Comment

• Sideways
              Knight
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by invisibletroll
              Compiling and playing with SDL enabled on Ubuntu 20.04 has lots of issues.

First of all, GCC 9.3.0 gives lots of warnings.

Disabling SDL mixer will result in compilation error.

./autogen.sh && ./configure --enable-sdl --disable-sdl-mixer && make
              src/main-sdl.c:3165: undefined reference to `play_sound'

Compiles fine with SDL mixer, but...
              Tile graphics doesn't seem to work at all and 32x32 refers to David Gervais tiles. (Do sounds work?)

Can't find file lib/xtra/graf/32x32.png - graphics mode '32x32' will be disabled.

Then change the font size with mouse many times in a row.
              This should lead to crash with various messages.
              Thanks for reporting, and welcome to oook!

Not sure how well I can fix this stuff without a similar system to test on (and tile-related problems in general are not a top priority unless they also interfere with ASCII play), but I'll try to fix the compile error and the nonexistent reference to David Gervais' tiles at least.

Comment

• Sideways
                Knight
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Bostock
                The new option to show energy used is cool.

Why is the energy-used display sometimes orange though?
                It turns orange if the last action consumed more than 100 energy (or more than 13,200 energy for players on the overworld map).

Comment

• invisibletroll
                  Apprentice
                  • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Sideways

Not sure how well I can fix this stuff without a similar system to test on (and tile-related problems in general are not a top priority unless they also interfere with ASCII play), but I'll try to fix the compile error and the nonexistent reference to David Gervais' tiles at least.
                  Thanks for answering. You have disabled issues on GitHub so I thought it's better to disturb you here. sulkasormi gives an impression that you are from Finland.

I understand the tile issue. Tiles won't exist for everything so why bother displaying only part of them? Same goes with sounds. If there's no sounds, why disabling the mixer should break compilation? Just ditch the unused code.

Using SDL interface doesn't necessarily add anything to the gameplay. Someone with debugging skills could check out what causes the crash.

Comment

• chem
                    Adept
                    • Sep 2007

it's pretty easy to spin up a linux virtual install in windows these days. vmware player, virtualbox, windows subsystem for linux, etc.

fixing all the gcc warnings may be a bit more of a pain

Comment

• Firons2
                      Rookie
                      • Oct 2018

Necromancy

What is the percentage reduction of EXP gain for pet kills? Is it possible to play using only pets? I seem to be gaining very little to none EXP both from my necromancy rat summons and animated corpses. Thanks.

Comment

• Sideways
                        Knight
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Firons2
                        What is the percentage reduction of EXP gain for pet kills? Is it possible to play using only pets? I seem to be gaining very little to none EXP both from my necromancy rat summons and animated corpses. Thanks.
                        You get 20% of the XP and the pet gets the remaining 80%, except on Quylthulgs (both you and the pet get the full XP) and Rings (same as Quylthulgs in the special case of the ringbearer). Note that what you get is 20% of the XP that would otherwise go to the pet; that might be higher or lower than 20% of the XP you'd get for scoring the kill yourself, since monster XP calculations are not quite identical with player calculations, and the monster's level likely does not equal your level. There are also some additional tweaks for the faster game speeds.

It might be technically possible to win using only pets - people have done stranger things with the game... - but I would not recommend it except on a Quylthulg.

Comment

• budswell
                          Adept
                          • Jun 2008

Ive also noticed that pets cannot kill most uniques.
                          Its why I think chaos+trump is a good mix for a mage. Pets do all the work, and you can just lob a "Fist of Force" over the top once uniques are down to their last HP.
                          http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-browse.php?e=budswell
                          http://te4.org/user/1471/characters

Comment

• Firons2
                            Rookie
                            • Oct 2018

You get 20% of the XP and the pet gets the remaining 80%, except on Quylthulgs (both you and the pet get the full XP) and Rings (same as Quylthulgs in the special case of the ringbearer). Note that what you get is 20% of the XP that would otherwise go to the pet; that might be higher or lower than 20% of the XP you'd get for scoring the kill yourself, since monster XP calculations are not quite identical with player calculations, and the monster's level likely does not equal your level. There are also some additional tweaks for the faster game speeds.

It might be technically possible to win using only pets - people have done stranger things with the game... - but I would not recommend it except on a Quylthulg.
                            Thanks for the quick reply. Another question - are rods a straight upgrade to staves because of their weight, even when taking the increased charges into account?

Comment

• Sideways
                              Knight
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Firons2
                              Thanks for the quick reply. Another question - are rods a straight upgrade to staves because of their weight, even when taking the increased charges into account?
                              There are not very many rods with effects similar to a staff, so a direct comparison is seldom necessary.

When the comparison does happen (e.g. with Illumination or Enlightenment, or Staff of Speed vs. Rod of Heroic Speed) the rod does usually win, but not because of the weight. The biggest selling points of a rod compared to a staff (or wand) are that it cannot be destroyed, only stolen, and that it recharges much faster. That the rod wins is not a given, though - sometimes a staff is better, either because you anticipate having to use it many times in quick succession or because it has so many more charges as to outweigh the faster recharging on the rod. The staff might also have lower fail rates, since many of the best rod effects are very high-level and difficult to use - characters with so-so device skill often find Rods of Angelic Healing too unreliable for combat and prefer to carry Staves of Healing.

The FAQ has a more detailed comparison which also covers potions, scrolls and wands.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                                Veteran
                                • Jan 2012

Cannot be destroyed...by chaos? Lightning?
                                My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎