Poschengband game mechanic questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Narsil
    replied
    How does vision spell work? I thought it's something like potion of enlightment in vanilla or Vision in old TOME, but in Poschengband it looks like mundane magic mapping, only harder to cast. Did I missed something?

    Leave a comment:


  • Rydel
    replied
    That message is to let you know which artifact it's based off of. It's mostly just an interesting bit of information, but it's useful for debugging if you end up with a very over/underpowered artifact.
    I'm pretty sure you can't turn that off.

    Leave a comment:


  • budswell
    replied
    OK, thanks for that.

    Next question: My current character is a weaponsmith. I was wondering if anyone knows of any useful macros or mogaminator settings which would help extract the essenses of stuff.

    Basically I'd like hte mogaminator to automatically extract the essense and then destroy good items.
    Or to define a macro where I would just be prompted for the item and it would do the rest (can you accept input in macros or keymaps?).

    I'm after something more convienient than:
    m b <select> space k <select> y

    Also: I am playing with randarts only (found I had very similar kit most of the time). A lot of the artifacts have another artifact in inscription, .e.g { Thranduil}
    And when Inspect it it says
    It reminds you of the artifact of 'Thranduil'
    What is the point of this. The abilities seem different and it just adds clutter. Is there any way to turn it off (but keep the rest of the inscriptions).
    Last edited by budswell; May 3, 2016, 14:51.

    Leave a comment:


  • wobbly
    replied
    I think blessed amulets might be curse proof, at least I've never seen a curse land on one. Pretty sure that's about it.

    Leave a comment:


  • debo
    replied
    Originally posted by budswell
    Hi,
    Just wondering what "blessed" weapons do?
    What about "blessed" amulets?
    Blessed weapons are useable without penalty by a priest -- this class normally can't use edged weapons for silly D&D reasons (this is also in vanilla.)

    I think blessed amulets are just an ego, no? I'm not actually sure what that does if it's a flag.

    Leave a comment:


  • budswell
    replied
    Hi,
    Just wondering what "blessed" weapons do?
    What about "blessed" amulets?

    Leave a comment:


  • Nick
    replied
    Originally posted by debo
    I meant poscheng 4.0.x. Unlike some slovenly maintainers, chris actually achieves things with his major releases.
    That makes more sense, thanks for explaining.

    Leave a comment:


  • debo
    replied
    Originally posted by budswell
    Thanks for the tips above. My own fault...

    New question.
    I have a Staff of Detect traps, and it appears to be auto casting when I reach the edge of the detect traps boundary. In 3.4.x this did not happen (although then I always had rods, not staves to detect traps).
    Is this normal? Is there an option to turn it off? I like the warning because I usually do traps, doors, and monsters each time.
    This is new. I don't remember when it kicked in, but I do like it. It only works if you're running when you hit the detection boundary, iirc. I don't know if there's an option to turn it off.

    Leave a comment:


  • debo
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbly
    Depends. If it's perma-cursed (like that one was) yes. If not, I use Nazgul rings quite regularly & just remove them for town & wilderness. You'd want to be above clvl 15 to start with though, otherwise you can't kill hard enough targets fast enough.
    Yeah, I meant if you can't take it off.

    Leave a comment:


  • debo
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick
    Nothing changed in 4.0.x. I spent 18 months deliberately achieving nothing.
    I meant poscheng 4.0.x. Unlike some slovenly maintainers, chris actually achieves things with his major releases.

    Leave a comment:


  • budswell
    replied
    Thanks for the tips above. My own fault...

    New question.
    I have a Staff of Detect traps, and it appears to be auto casting when I reach the edge of the detect traps boundary. In 3.4.x this did not happen (although then I always had rods, not staves to detect traps).
    Is this normal? Is there an option to turn it off? I like the warning because I usually do traps, doors, and monsters each time.

    Leave a comment:


  • wobbly
    replied
    Originally posted by debo
    This isn't true in poschengband. It's a constantly ticking clock that will drain a ton of xp if you're not staying ahead of it. It's not like XP drain in vanilla. (restore life doesn't fix it, and hold life doesn't help.) I'm not sure but I think the mechanic and the severity changed again in 4.0.x?
    Depends. If it's perma-cursed (like that one was) yes. If not, I use Nazgul rings quite regularly & just remove them for town & wilderness. You'd want to be above clvl 15 to start with though, otherwise you can't kill hard enough targets fast enough.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nick
    replied
    Originally posted by debo
    This isn't true in poschengband. It's a constantly ticking clock that will drain a ton of xp if you're not staying ahead of it. It's not like XP drain in vanilla. (restore life doesn't fix it, and hold life doesn't help.) I'm not sure but I think the mechanic and the severity changed again in 4.0.x?
    Nothing changed in 4.0.x. I spent 18 months deliberately achieving nothing.

    Leave a comment:


  • debo
    replied
    Originally posted by budswell
    Nope, after the arena I was down to lev 15.
    Recalled to Dungeon (orc caves). By the time I died I was Lev 8. Dump here:
    http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=18881
    You were pretty much screwed. When you lose in the arena you can't go back. I think you learned the hard way not to wield {awful} things before IDing them.

    *identify* makes this pretty terrible in the early game, which is why I play a version where it doesn't exist. However, the vast majority of {awful} things are never going to be worth wielding.

    Leave a comment:


  • debo
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete Mack
    Drain exp usually is slow enough that killing monsters will easily stay ahead. I'm surprised it is bad enough that you notice it anywhere but wilderness travel.
    This isn't true in poschengband. It's a constantly ticking clock that will drain a ton of xp if you're not staying ahead of it. It's not like XP drain in vanilla. (restore life doesn't fix it, and hold life doesn't help.) I'm not sure but I think the mechanic and the severity changed again in 4.0.x?

    Leave a comment:

Working...
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍
👎
☕