X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LostTemplar
    Knight
    • Aug 2009

another ways than runes to drain mana and slow
    Slow monster spell can slow even Morgoth. Assasins and rogues can drain mana, not everything should be available to mage.

Perharps better chance to resist?
    Maybe same chance as slow currently have, (monster level + 2) in damage, so you will never stun something big with thrust away, but cacophony and wall of force will stun sometimes.

I also want feedback about idea to make some monsters more mobile, e.g. adding digging to unique balrogs, teleport_to_player to some high power spellcasters, etc.
    Last edited by LostTemplar; December 9, 2010, 17:12.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

You could have them teleport towards the @ like I've seen demi-human and human spellcasters do. Having Cantoras suddenly pop right in front of you would certainly be frightening. Nothing says mobility like a portal gun.
      You are on something strange

Comment

• LostTemplar
        Knight
        • Aug 2009

Yes, I thought about Cantoras, it will be nice. Currently very few high level casters can teleport towards player, really only Errata the mage and grand master mystic. Most of thieves can too, but they are unlikely to be dangerous.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
          Swordsman
          • Apr 2010

How many Uniques are in FA...I count 74. I'm just wondering because Morgoth pretty much just either summons one Troll, Rogog or something I think his name is or Guardians. I didn't know that I would need a lot of genocide scrolls before I took him on. So while I got him down to 3 *'s I had to leave since I didn't have any escapes and almost no mana.

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Fendell Orcbane
            How many Uniques are in FA...I count 74.
            I make it 77.
            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by LostTemplar
              Maybe same chance as slow currently have, (monster level + 2) in damage, so you will never stun something big with thrust away, but cacophony and wall of force will stun sometimes.
              Sounds good.

adding digging to unique balrogs
              Definitely.

teleport_to_player to some high power spellcasters, etc.
              I'm thinking Cantoras, Feagwath, maybe Omarax and/or Evil Iggy; then perhaps sorcerers and magicians.

Comment

• LostTemplar
                Knight
                • Aug 2009

Added teleport towards player for Sauron, Feagwath, Omarax, Evil Iggy, Dreabor, Thuringwethil, and some non unique spellcasters. Cantoras actually sleeps too deep to be teleporting, it would only hurt aggravating more.

Comment

• kaypy
                  Swordsman
                  • May 2009

A few more points, now I think of it:

Forests are rather annoying. They should probably be less dense- maybe 1/3 trees instead of completely solid.

Oh, and on the subject of trees, it might be nice to be able to set them on fire with less than a thermonuclear blast. (Yes I am angling toward getting rid of forests by pyromania if no other solution is available)

Comment

• LostTemplar
                    Knight
                    • Aug 2009

Forests are rather annoying.
                    Forests are good for elves and ents, choose your hunting ground according to your character race. And most forests are not solid, there are paths through. Only Ungoliath's valley is completely filled with trees.

Comment

• Psi
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

Gnawing bugs are good for sorting out forests.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
                        Swordsman
                        • Apr 2010

While it makes sense that Balrogs can bore through walls, I personally think that TOO many monsters can bore through walls. Especially powerful monsters like WDoP. I think that honestly the game is hard enough, if you don't believe me go play V and come back to me.
                        I think that making it harder will only work for people that are good at the game, I think it will just turn noobs off.

Personally I'll still find a way to win...

Comment

• buzzkill
                          Prophet
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by Fendell Orcbane
                          While it makes sense that Balrogs can bore through walls, I personally think that TOO many monsters can bore through walls. Especially powerful monsters like WDoP....
                          There was a discussion not too long ago about having things move through walls a little more slowly, or at variable speeds. I didn't think it sounded too bad, though an AI tweak would probably have to go hand in hand with it.
                          www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                          My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by kaypy
                            Forests are rather annoying. They should probably be less dense- maybe 1/3 trees instead of completely solid.
                            Higher level forests are typically less dense. Also, all exits to a level will be joined by a path - as indicated by others, sticking to the path is quicker and easier.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
                              Swordsman
                              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Nick
                              Higher level forests are typically less dense. Also, all exits to a level will be joined by a path - as indicated by others, sticking to the path is quicker and easier.
                              Thick Forests are great for avoiding hounds breathing on you all at once. Plus if you have a set of dragon scale armor you move just as fast as you can on plains. Forest are your friend: )

Comment

• kaypy
                                Swordsman
                                • May 2009

Originally posted by Nick
                                Originally posted by kaypy
                                I'm also seeing some crash, seems to be related to lots of objects
                                OK, thanks - that's an annoying one. Possibly it's to do with compacting of objects.
                                Did this one get dealt with already? I have a FA115 save that's one critter away from triggering it if it would be useful.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎