• Show
Clear All
  • Arralen
    Swordsman
    • May 2007

Originally posted by Nick
    D's don't appear outside Angband ...
    Not even Glaurung in Nargothrond?
    No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
    Never. Ever.

Comment

• LostTemplar
      Knight
      • Aug 2009

Glaurung is 'd'. 'D' is reserved for winged dragons, not just powerfull ones.

Comment

• Arralen
        Swordsman
        • May 2007

Originally posted by LostTemplar
        Glaurung is 'd'.

.. should pay a little bit more attention then ... nearly ran into Shelob the other day on Nargothrond 39 or something: "what the !?%$& is so excellent about this level? Here's nothing nothing nothing *taptaptap* only that ugly spi .. oh-oouuh *teleport level*"

Btw. - would Shelob have been able to cross lava?
        Last edited by Arralen; July 6, 2010, 19:10.
        Never. Ever.

Comment

• buzzkill
          Prophet
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Arralen
          There's only one way to finnd out . No, no, not the spoilers...
          www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
          My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Arralen
            Swordsman
            • May 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
            There's only one way to find out . No, no, not the spoilers...
            Naaa .. dying horribly isn't a valid option
            Btw., I'm pretty sure Nick is as least somewhat faithful to Tolkiens writings, so Shelob wouldn't be neither fire immune nor able to teleport ...
            This was more of a "technical" question - would a smart monster with enough HP cross lava (if lava does a certain amount of damage/turn .. no I haven't tested that up to now, and I'm not going to ... ) to get the player, or is that totally ruled out by the pathfinding routines?
            Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

No, she wouldn't. I think...
              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• ThunderToads
                Scout
                • Jun 2008

Maybe Spiderman style.

Comment

• Psi
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

Naaa .. dying horribly isn't a valid option
                  Btw., I'm pretty sure Nick is as least somewhat faithful to Tolkiens writings, so Shelob wouldn't be neither fire immune nor able to teleport ...
                  This was more of a "technical" question - would a smart monster with enough HP cross lava (if lava does a certain amount of damage/turn .. no I haven't tested that up to now, and I'm not going to ... ) to get the player, or is that totally ruled out by the pathfinding routines?
                  I doubt it. I've had Gothmog stuck on the other side of a river in the Dungeon City Vault before. Poor lamb didn't stand a chance.

Comment

• LostTemplar
                    Knight
                    • Aug 2009

Pressing tab key for item list sometimes results in panic save&exit with message about gruesome software bug. After restarting and pressing tab again bug returns, but going to another level fixed it, seems like simple overflow of something.

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by LostTemplar
                      Pressing tab key for item list sometimes results in panic save&exit with message about gruesome software bug. After restarting and pressing tab again bug returns, but going to another level fixed it, seems like simple overflow of something.
                      Ugh. OK, that's one to look into.

Comment

• LostTemplar
                        Knight
                        • Aug 2009

More bugz:
                        1) killing dungeon guardians on dlvl 100 creates a stair in ironman game.
                        2) sometimes an exact copy of inventory slot is generated on the floor.
                        I had a stack of 76 elvish waybread and found another 76 on the floor, I found it in destructed area, and it was not a monster drop.
                        Last edited by LostTemplar; July 13, 2010, 13:51.

Comment

• Arralen
                          Swordsman
                          • May 2007

items - pricing, ID, etc
                          "Glaive of the Hunter (3d5) (+8,+8) [8,0]"
                          slays animals. cursed; speeds up disgestion. cannot be uncursed. you know all
                          => "know all" from spell-ID?
                          => no price, because quality-squelch dropped it bec. of the curse: you can't use an item with minor curse, without de-squelching everything (Or I haven't figured out how to squelch with a mage yet ..)

"Rusty Chain Mail of Resistance (-5) [14,+8]"
                          acid 24%, fire 37%, not damaged by acid, elec, fire or frost
                          4264 gold between very close elven friends
                          => Price seems ok, bit high maybe. As the AC is, a bit, maybe.
                          => I would like to see more less-than-prestine items in the dungeon which says so in the item name / descr.

"Katana of Nogrod (4d5) (+7,+12) <+2 to speed>
                          .. is actually +2 STR, +2 tunneling, +2 speed
                          Following the logic displayed with other randarts/egos, it should simply say <+2> or <+2,+2> or something
                          24k gold

"Two-handed Sword of Slay Demon (3d6) (-1,+12)"
                          Sells for 2k despite being cursed?

strange activation
                          Nargothrond 45: "Amulet of Doom <-1,+1>"
                          Activation : lightning stirke (130+25) every 800 turns
                          Is that 130+25 because of one part of it is level-dependant?

unique - typo, and more..
                          Mim, Betrayer of Turin
                          "He is always found at a danger level of 30 in Amon R[^]udh"
                          With 5 resists, he's much to strong for the usual mage ! I was only able to kill him as a lvl 35 mage because of that overpowered "Longbow of the Eagle Lord" ... at the cost of 30 or 40 of my best branded arrows!

Spell failure rates
                          From "resistances" book:
                          Shield (lvl30) 34% failure for mage lvl 35 (INT 18/104) ?!
                          Resistance (lvl35) 64% failure ?

Pseudo
                          Magestaff (2d3) 8+0,+0) [4,+0] {average}
                          .. isn't "average" suppressed on all other pseudos? And it shows up for ID - and IDs as "Magestaff (2d3) 8+0,+0) [4,+0]".
                          Maybe because of the activation?
                          Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

items - pricing, ID, etc
                            "Glaive of the Hunter (3d5) (+8,+8) [8,0]"
                            slays animals. cursed; speeds up disgestion. cannot be uncursed. you know all
                            => "know all" from spell-ID?
                            => no price, because quality-squelch dropped it bec. of the curse: you can't use an item with minor curse, without de-squelching everything (Or I haven't figured out how to squelch with a mage yet ..)
                            Squelching non-ego items should work - it won't touch anything until it's ID'd. I think.

"Rusty Chain Mail of Resistance (-5) [14,+8]"
                            acid 24%, fire 37%, not damaged by acid, elec, fire or frost
                            4264 gold between very close elven friends
                            => Price seems ok, bit high maybe. As the AC is, a bit, maybe.
                            => I would like to see more less-than-prestine items in the dungeon which says so in the item name / descr.
                            Do you mean you like the 'Rusty' bit? Rusty Chain Mail is actually a separate object type to Chain Mail, but descriptive item names is an interesting idea.

"Katana of Nogrod (4d5) (+7,+12) <+2 to speed>
                            .. is actually +2 STR, +2 tunneling, +2 speed
                            Following the logic displayed with other randarts/egos, it should simply say <+2> or <+2,+2> or something
                            24k gold
                            Bonuses other than stat bonuses get mentioned like this; if there's more than one, they get mentioned roughly in order of usefulness. This happens in V and most variants, I think.

"Two-handed Sword of Slay Demon (3d6) (-1,+12)"
                            Sells for 2k despite being cursed?
                            If you've got your relevant stats sustained, that's an OK weapon. Probably a bit overpriced, but not too outrageous.

strange activation
                            Nargothrond 45: "Amulet of Doom <-1,+1>"
                            Activation : lightning stirke (130+25) every 800 turns
                            Is that 130+25 because of one part of it is level-dependant?
                            I guess so - it does look odd, though. I'll check that up.

unique - typo, and more..
                            Mim, Betrayer of Turin
                            "He is always found at a danger level of 30 in Amon R[^]udh"
                            With 5 resists, he's much to strong for the usual mage ! I was only able to kill him as a lvl 35 mage because of that overpowered "Longbow of the Eagle Lord" ... at the cost of 30 or 40 of my best branded arrows!
                            The typo is a failure of mune to make xchars play nicely - I'm not sure why. Will check.
                            For killing, RAcid, !Speed, -Shrapnel all help - was Thrust Away not helpful? Or Magical Throw and Telekinesis?

Spell failure rates
                            From "resistances" book:
                            Shield (lvl30) 34% failure for mage lvl 35 (INT 18/104) ?!
                            Resistance (lvl35) 64% failure ?
                            Yes, they're higher level spells.

Pseudo
                            Magestaff (2d3) 8+0,+0) [4,+0] {average}
                            .. isn't "average" suppressed on all other pseudos? And it shows up for ID - and IDs as "Magestaff (2d3) 8+0,+0) [4,+0]".
                            Maybe because of the activation?
                            There are still a few wrinkles with working out exactly when it's fully ID'd. It may well be to do with the activation.

Comment

• LostTemplar
                              Knight
                              • Aug 2009

Mim is pushover for 21+ mage, and lightning strike means 130 lightning + 25 sound.
                              Last edited by LostTemplar; July 21, 2010, 07:20.

Comment

• joelsanda
                                Apprentice
                                • Sep 2007

FAangband Geek Code

The fact I never see these anymore increases my desire to have one again

Any idea what Deepest Level (DL) ought to be for FAangband? Last area in or current area? Or just not used? I'm in favor of not using it, but even my dog rarely listens to me.

The Angband Code page doesn't identify FAangband as a variant ...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎