X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideways
    Knight
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Nick
    If it returns true the monster's turn is skipped, so this shouldn't be the problem. I'll have to look at your save.
    I think what wobbly's saying is that monsters who're held but not stunned always return TRUE, but monsters who're both held and stunned only sometimes return TRUE, because stunning is checked first and returns a random result.
    The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sideways
      I think what wobbly's saying is that monsters who're held but not stunned always return TRUE, but monsters who're both held and stunned only sometimes return TRUE, because stunning is checked first and returns a random result.
      Oh, right, that is correct; so the held/commanded check should be first.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by wobbly
        Code:
        /* One in __ chance of missing turn if stunned, always miss if held

* or commanded */

if (mon->m_timed[MON_TMD_STUN]) {

return randint0(STUN_MISS_CHANCE) == 1;

} else if (mon->m_timed[MON_TMD_HOLD] || mon->m_timed[MON_TMD_COMMAND]) {

return true;

} else {

return false;

}
        Looks fishy to me. Stunned + held gives a chance to move right? or am I misreading
        Yep, confirm that was the problem, nice catch.

Comment

• wobbly
          Prophet
          • May 2012

Yep, confirm that was the problem, nice catch.
          Thanks, amusingly I ran into this bug months ago when I was fiddling with turn energy code in my own variant & had just assumed it was something I'd done breaking things

I'm learning to hate terrified yeeks, also ran into my 1st gelatinous cube of the run & was glad it survived. I think before a monster is removed some thought needs to be paid to how it interacts with priests. There needs to be some monsters that slip through detect evil, have enough hps not to just be easily orbed & have something preventing you from heal tanking in melee (such as acid damage).

Oh, also I enjoyed the trees which inconveniently blocked my passage at one stage.
          Last edited by wobbly; February 23, 2019, 13:48.

Comment

• wobbly
            Prophet
            • May 2012

[*]Birds:
            • Nighthawks replaced by blood falcons (new monster, possibly OP)
            I like these. I always thought angband was sparse on glass cannons. The damage is nasty but after the 1st I've never let 1 get into melee range. Is there lore behind them? Could they appear with an appropriate 'p' as a hunting falcon? Maybe a blackguard or druid?

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by wobbly
              I like these. I always thought angband was sparse on glass cannons. The damage is nasty but after the 1st I've never let 1 get into melee range. Is there lore behind them? Could they appear with an appropriate 'p' as a hunting falcon? Maybe a blackguard or druid?
              In "The Fall of Gondolin" it is mentioned that Morgoth used "creatures of blood", including falcons. So there's not an obvious 'p' to put with them; on the other hand, IIRC O has a "storm of birds" trap, and they would make a really nasty summon.

The way they actually work came about just from thinking about what would be dangerous about a falcon.

Comment

• MattB
                Veteran
                • Mar 2013

I’m very happy to see an Uber dragon, and GWoAnnihilation sounds much better than a GWoP. Just need to rename PDSM to ADSM and it’s sorted! But I agree with others that this should be a ‘new’ beastie. Not sure how I feel about Law worms though. Does seem a little naff. You could have GWoForce (sound, force, inertia) and GWoChaos and GWoBalance, maybe? As forces follow the laws of nature? Then these three would sit just below GWoAnnihilation.

Comment

• Derakon
                  Prophet
                  • Dec 2009

Ideally the DSM for the dragon would provide resistance to what the dragon breathes, and there's no force or inertia resistance in the game (nor IMO should there be).

I stand by my Order suggestion earlier, but failing that a Dragon of Storms that breathes sound and shards seems pretty plausible. There's some nominal overlap with Sky Dragon of course, and it does leave the Balance dragon in kind of an odd spot.

Comment

• Grotug
                    Veteran
                    • Nov 2013

Don't we already have a great storm wyrm that breathes lightning?
                    Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Derakon
                      Prophet
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Grotug
                      Don't we already have a great storm wyrm that breathes lightning?
                      Dangit, you're right. I am not on top of things today.

Comment

• Glorfindel
                        Apprentice
                        • Mar 2019

Is this still the right place to post ideas and opinions on new features and monsters? I have rather a few things I would like to talk about, but given that no one has posted on this thread for a month, I am somewhat in doubt as to whether it is still the place.

Should I revive the thread? Or is there someplace where the discussion is going on now, where I should be posting? Or should I start a new thread?

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Glorfindel
                          Is this still the right place to post ideas and opinions on new features and monsters? I have rather a few things I would like to talk about, but given that no one has posted on this thread for a month, I am somewhat in doubt as to whether it is still the place.

Should I revive the thread? Or is there someplace where the discussion is going on now, where I should be posting? Or should I start a new thread?
                          Just on the current master thread is where that discussion's been going.

Comment

• Glorfindel
                            Apprentice
                            • Mar 2019

Thank you.

Comment

• MITZE
                              Swordsman
                              • Jan 2017

I must say, I find the whole law/chaos/balance thing a bit forced. I can understand the concept, and chaos and disenchantment work fine for the chaotic side, but I don't really see anything particularly lawful about sound and shards.
                              Rather late, somewhat random, and from a person who hasn't been keeping close tabs on V development, but I think the reasoning behind law being sound/shards is that Sound is nominally meant to invoke the premise of a being shouting commands (command => order => law), while Shards is meant to invoke the idea of crystals, which have very ordered atomic/molecular/ionic/whatevern structure.
                              Last edited by MITZE; March 29, 2019, 06:40. Reason: Minor grammatical edits.
                              Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• Grotug
                                Veteran
                                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by MITZE
                                Rather late, somewhat random, and from a person who hasn't been keeping close tabs on V development, but I think the reasoning behind law being sound/shards is that Sound is nominally meant to invoke the premise of a being shouting commands (command => order => law), while Shards is meant to invoke the idea of crystals, which have very ordered atomic/molecular/ionic/whatevern structure.
                                Thank you for posting this! I really liked the mystery surrounding the name for Great Wyrms of Law and was really hoping there was some kind of obscure, high brow logic to it, and I wasn't myself at all close to to coming up with any. I'd say your explanation is pretty darn good! I guess with that, I'd like to put in my vote for keeping the current names and order of Law/Chaos great wyrms beneath Great Wyrms of Balance.

And, if I may be so bold, I don't see what's wrong with adding two new dragons even more terrible (and more rare) than the GWofB for native depth of DL90 and DL95: a Great Wyrm of Power (4800hp) that breathes all the elements PDSM resists, which, if I'm not mistaken, is all the elements of all the dragons in Angband combined, less Dracolisks and Dracoliches. And then there was the Great Wyrm of Annihilation (6000hp) that legends daren't tell of, all but gone out of memory and time. Greater even than a Great Wyrm of Power. It breathes everything as well as nether and nexus. And since it isn't tied to any armor, it also breathes the non resistable elements: force, inertia, gravity and Time. To help distinguish Annihilation dragons from power dragons they're twice as likely to breath nexus, nether, inertia, gravity, force and Time over the other breath types:

Multihued dragons: fire, cold, acid, lightning, poison
                                Pseudo dragons: light, dark
                                Law drakes: sound, shards
                                Chaos drakes: chaos, disenchantment
                                Balance drakes: sound, shards | chaos, disenchantment
                                Dracolisks: fire, nexus (only dragons without an armor counterpart)
                                Dracoliches: cold, nether (should there be corresponding armor?)
                                Great Wyrms of Power: fire, cold, acid, lightning, poison, light, dark, sound, shards, chaos, disenchantment
                                Great Wyrms of Annihilation: fire, cold, acid, lightning, poison, light, dark, sound, shards, chaos, disenchantment, nexus, nether, inertia, gravity, force, Time.

Great Wyrm of Power description:
                                It seems that all the ruin and woe of all dragonkind are met in one vile visage that now stands before you. Death draws near as it approaches.

Great Wyrm of Annihilation description:
                                A dragon so terrible and so rare that no stories of its terror survive in the hearts of living men. It's existence scarcely known through the ages. What little knowledge that e'er survived of it's unspeakable deeds through history has long since dissipated into the ether, gone out of memory and time. No thought of it remains. Except now: in the furthest reaches of the deepest dungeons of Angband, its ghastly call echoes in your mind. As you gaze upon it disbelievingly, you struggle to make out its true form.

*maniacally rubs hands together* This would please me greatly.
                                Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎