X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mrfy
    "The Maia of Orome intones strange words.
    Huan, Wolfhound of the Valar shimmers and changes!"
    Yes, I have to work on the messages.

Originally posted by mrfy
    That's quite a surprise...that the Maia of Orome (level 52) can change form to a deep level unique (level 90). Fortunately, I already had the Maia down to 2 stars and a couple of well-placed mithril arrows and it died. Presumably it gets all the abilities of Huan while it assumed that form?
    This seemed appropriate since Huan was Orome's dog

The Maia will get Huan's abilities; the melee is the thing to worry about, because breaths go off HP, which doesn't change with shape.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

I should have planned ahead and made one post...

Necros getting RNether at some point would be OK thematically, but also I think they would be getting it just when theyr'e already getting powerful. And it feels more like something they can channel rather than an intrinsic thing.

No to the death drake thing

Thanks for the _Darkness thing, easily fixed.

And I think white wraiths should go deeper, to where they were designed for. I see the attraction of leaving them, but then they're way very challenging for depth, and while I'm not against that happening sometimes, I don't think white wraiths are the monster I'd choose.

Comment

• Grotug
        Veteran
        • Nov 2013

I was having a hard time killing a mature multihued dragon. I had gotten it down to half health when I had to flee (_Teleport). There were other lesser multihued dragons I was fighting at the same time as well. At some point during the fight, mirkwood spiders joined the fray, putting webs everywhere.

When I finally returned to finish off the dragons, the mature one was stuck in a web. I was able to melee him without taking any damage. It was kinda cool that it got stuck, but its complete helplessness seemed like a bug to me. I guess I can see a baby dragon getting stuck and being helpless, but it's a bit odd that such a powerful dragon becomes completely incapacitated by a mirkwood spider web. Now, if it was a web spun by Shelob or Ungoliant, I can see a mature dragon getting stuck (and even an Ancient dragon in Ungoliant's case) but for a mature dragon to get stuck in a web spun by a mirkwood spider? That doesn't feel right. Of course, having different web types based on nastiness of the spider that spun them would be a lot of programming work, but I think it would go a long way for immersion and verisimilitude!

Some of the new monster colors don't make complete sense to me. I know there isn't really a system of colors for what can poison, but I've sort of learned that orange and green are colors that often poison. With the new colors, I don't feel there is any rhyme or reason to what monsters poison in melee and what doesn't.

I like the idea of a web spell. Seems plausible a high level druid might be able to cast it from a deep book? It does have the potential of being OP, though.
        Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• wobbly
          Prophet
          • May 2012

Re trampling: it checks for highest xp right? Uniques get some protection by being bags of xp?

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by wobbly
            Re trampling: it checks for highest xp right? Uniques get some protection by being bags of xp?
            I think it's based purely off of native depth. Having uniques be pushed past instead of trampled seems like a reasonable solution to me. Uniques certainly shouldn't be immune to trampling, otherwise you'd have the weird situation of e.g. Mughash preventing a Horned Reaper from reaching you.

re: white wraiths, I guess the question is whether you want the player's first wraith encounter to be a friendly "this is what you can expect from wraiths" lesson, or a traumatic "this is what you can expect from wraiths" lesson. I can pretty well guarantee the latter will stick better.

Comment

• Adam
              Adept
              • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Derakon
              Uniques certainly shouldn't be immune to trampling, otherwise you'd have the weird situation of e.g. Mughash preventing a Horned Reaper from reaching you.
              I read such a story years ago on Let's play archive which I found funny (I don't know if those monsters did change since then or not)
              Let's Play Angband by TooMuchAbstraction - Part 40: Mage Duel

"Sauron, the Sorcerer summons his servants.
              Yikes. We got Ungoliant, the Unlight, Omarax, the Eye Tyrant, and...Golfimbul the Hill Orc Chief

Ungoliant and Sauron are a nasty, nasty combination. For that matter, Omarax is pretty nasty too. We throw up some doors to buy time...and then discover something amusing:
              Omarax can't push past weaker monsters! Neither can Ungoliant! They're both stuck behind a hill orc whose most notable achievement is getting his head whacked off by Bullroarer the Hobbit! Meanwhile, Golfimbul has zero interest in moving closer to us; we outlevel him so badly that he's automatically afraid of us. "

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Grotug
                I was having a hard time killing a mature multihued dragon. I had gotten it down to half health when I had to flee (_Teleport). There were other lesser multihued dragons I was fighting at the same time as well. At some point during the fight, mirkwood spiders joined the fray, putting webs everywhere.

When I finally returned to finish off the dragons, the mature one was stuck in a web. I was able to melee him without taking any damage. It was kinda cool that it got stuck, but its complete helplessness seemed like a bug to me. I guess I can see a baby dragon getting stuck and being helpless, but it's a bit odd that such a powerful dragon becomes completely incapacitated by a mirkwood spider web. Now, if it was a web spun by Shelob or Ungoliant, I can see a mature dragon getting stuck (and even an Ancient dragon in Ungoliant's case) but for a mature dragon to get stuck in a web spun by a mirkwood spider? That doesn't feel right. Of course, having different web types based on nastiness of the spider that spun them would be a lot of programming work, but I think it would go a long way for immersion and verisimilitude!
                Thank you, that was a bug. Spiders can just walk through webs, some monsters (notably insects ) get stuck in them, and most monsters clear them the same way as players, so it takes a turn. But I had forgotten to give that to dragons. I guess at least it wasn't Ancalagon...

Originally posted by Grotug
                Some of the new monster colors don't make complete sense to me. I know there isn't really a system of colors for what can poison, but I've sort of learned that orange and green are colors that often poison. With the new colors, I don't feel there is any rhyme or reason to what monsters poison in melee and what doesn't.
                IIRC the only ones I've changed are the player class-like ones ('p's and a few 'h's), so they're:
                • Warrior - brown
                • Mage - light blue
                • Druid - light green
                • Priest - yellow
                • Necromancer - pink
                • Paladin - white
                • Rogue - dark blue
                • Ranger - dark green
                • Blackguard - dark grey
                The aim is for the main casters to be similar colours to the books they use, and then the half-casters from that realm to be kind of a shade off that (although necros/blackguards are a bit different from that, but 'black' seems right for blackguards). Hope that makes sense.

Comment

• takkaria
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2007

The new colours for mages just don't make sense to me - neither the spellbooks or the monster. The others do, though. I would really like to have the red back, especially cos we've lost all the names of the old mage books.
                  takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• MWGE
                    Scout
                    • Jul 2008

I must admit, of all the changes it's the colours that are really throwing me off. I don't "get" them.
                    The rest I'm either happy about or wholly neutral on, and that's fine of course.
                    But if I had one "please put it back" plea...it would be this.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2008

Yeah change back the colors. Makes no sense to have new colors. Also what makes no sense is having classes using the same realm and different books, it's really confusing to find a nature book and not being about to use it because it's not for druid but for rangers. Now that books can hold different spells for different classes, it would be nice to find generic names for them so each class of the realm can use them with their own spells.
                      PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

OK, so I think monster colours can be reverted straightforwardly, with necromancers (who used to be kind of mages) being pink and druids (who used to be kind of priests) I guess yellow.

So then nature books become yellow, and we can rename so that half-casters use a subset of full casters' books. And we can rethink the names so at least some of the old ones come back.

How does that sound?

Comment

• Derakon
                          Prophet
                          • Dec 2009

Reducing the number of books sounds like a good thing to me, from a "too much junk" perspective if nothing else.

While I do think that mages work best as red (for difficult-to-articulate reasons), I can also definitely see an argument for druids being green. Maybe priests could be blue? We'd need to move rogues away from that, but that's easy: they're the stealthy class, they should be dark grey instead of blackguards. That would suggest a color list like this:
                          • Warrior - brown
                          • Mage - red
                          • Druid - light green
                          • Priest - dark blue
                          • Necromancer - pink
                          • Paladin - light blue
                          • Rogue - dark grey
                          • Ranger - dark green
                          • Blackguard - light grey

Comment

• Gwarl
                            Administrator
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                            Also what makes no sense is having classes using the same realm and different books, it's really confusing to find a nature book and not being about to use it because it's not for druid but for rangers.
                            Quoting to express support for this.

Comment

• Chud
                              Swordsman
                              • Jun 2010

Another small observation on necros... I see they have a spell failure rate penalty when standing in the light, but also that goes away as you level up. Currently, my failure rate for low level spells doesn't change anymore based on the light (4% either way, CL16 and INT 18/50), though higher level spells still show the penalty.

This makes sense I suppose, as you level up and get more skilled, but it also reduces the differentiation of the necromancer class. I'd prefer to keep the uniqueness, I think, and always have a meaningful penalty in the light -- maybe same as you get when stunned? (Your status line could say "Migraine"... :-) )

Just a thought, in the interest of keeping the classes as distinct as possible.

Comment

• Derakon
                                Prophet
                                • Dec 2009

I'm pretty sure that 4% is the minimum failure rate when at 18/50 INT. So what's going on here is that the game calculates a failure rate based on your level, the spell's difficulty, your INT, and any relevant modifiers (like being stunned, poisoned, or in this case, standing in the light). It then makes sure that your actual failure rate is not lower than your stat-defined minimum.

In other words, you're high-enough level that when casting simple spells, your failure rate "should" be below 4%, even when standing in the light. But since your INT is only 18/50, your failure rate must be at least 4%.

I guess the standing-in-light penalty could apply after the stat-based minimum is applied. I don't really have an opinion on this -- haven't played necromancers yet.

I do think it's a good idea to have a status bar line to tell the player "Hey, you're standing in the light, and that's significant for you."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎