Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wobbly
    Prophet
    • May 2012

Are we sure the interupt for run is working properly? In both V & feature. I just got double breathed on by a water vortex while running down a hall. Not the 1st time I've seen this either, it seems I get hit & then take another step. I also notice something funky when chasing something down a hall where it'll be in vision, move out of vision & I just continue running.

Comment

• Thraalbee
      Knight
      • Sep 2010

I've seen similar stuff. No exact observation though. Thought it may have with burden penalty to do rather than running.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by wobbly
        Are we sure the interupt for run is working properly? In both V & feature. I just got double breathed on by a water vortex while running down a hall. Not the 1st time I've seen this either, it seems I get hit & then take another step. I also notice something funky when chasing something down a hall where it'll be in vision, move out of vision & I just continue running.
        Filed as a bug; I'll check it at least.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• gglibertine
          Adept
          • Dec 2007

I've been playing a Druid for the last couple of days and having a lot of fun with it. I haven't gotten to a high level yet so I'm unsure what additional spells exist beyond the first two spellbooks, but I've got a couple of ideas I thought I'd throw out there.

1. Foxes burrow; what if Druids got a bonus to tunneling in Fox Form? A buff to Searching might be nice too, to reflect enhanced sense of smell (although I guess most traps probably don't smell of much, the lingering scent of the creature that set them might). Currently Dwarves are the only thing that gets any innate tunneling, but the ability to stealth through a level digging out all the gold and/or stealing items guarded by monsters by burrowing through (non-granite) walls while still too weak to fight them could be really fun.

2. If such a spell doesn't already exist, could Druids get a defensive spell where they cause trees or rubble to grow around them, which monsters would have to burn/blast/tunnel their way through in order to reach them? (I'd suggest creating walls, given that Druids get Stone to Mud pretty early, but I feel like that would be too powerful.)

Likewise, I'm wondering if a shadow version of Lightning Strike might be useful for Blackguards -- there's a D&D Warlock spell called Arms of Hadar that I'm quite partial to. (In combination with Misty Step, which is basically Phase Door, it's seriously useful. Oh, how I love playing a Warlock. Why aren't Blackguards called Warlocks, anyway? I think of a blackguard as more of a rogue archetype.)

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

It occurs to me that it is possible that a vortex could get two shots in a single turn in any case: non-uniques can be slightl6ly faster than their normal speed, and vortexes breathe often enough that it is not inconceivable that the diuble move could coincide with a double breath.

Comment

• Derakon
              Prophet
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by gglibertine
              2. If such a spell doesn't already exist, could Druids get a defensive spell where they cause trees or rubble to grow around them, which monsters would have to burn/blast/tunnel their way through in order to reach them? (I'd suggest creating walls, given that Druids get Stone to Mud pretty early, but I feel like that would be too powerful.)
              Spells that obstruct line-of-sight are very powerful. If they also block enemy movement then they're probably too powerful. Aside from Earthquake (which is unreliable) and Destruction (which does a lot of other things besides obstruct LOS), the only such spell currently in the game is the mage's Create Doors, and even though all the doors are unlocked and basically everything in the deep dungeon can open/bash them down in one turn, it's still a very handy spell.

Comment

• gglibertine
                Adept
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
                Aside from Earthquake (which is unreliable) and Destruction (which does a lot of other things besides obstruct LOS), the only such spell currently in the game is the mage's Create Doors, and even though all the doors are unlocked and basically everything in the deep dungeon can open/bash them down in one turn, it's still a very handy spell.
                Fair enough.

Comment

• Sphara
                  Knight
                  • Oct 2016

Development branch online:
                  Pressing Ch shows dunadan having innate fear resistance but it does not work.

Comment

• Sphara
                    Knight
                    • Oct 2016

How much does wand/rod of slow monster actually slow down your opponents?
                    I know its not (-10) but it still is noticeable effect and it cannot be resisted as far as I know.
                    How strong item it is now? Well, its strong enough to keep an inventory space for it during a whole ironman game.

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

New builds up on the nightlies page, with the following changes:
                      • Morgoth now has the SPIRIT flag
                      • Teleport spell for rogues now shows a range (kind of)
                      • Technical changes to macOS compiling (basically minimum version is now 10.9 instead of 10.5)

Not very interesting yet, but it's a start to getting back to regular updates after being out of it for a while.

Comment

• Grotug
                        Veteran
                        • Nov 2013

What does SPIRIT flag do?

I'd like to report a bug. I found "The Lucerne hammer of absurd dice" on DL23 and the level feeling was 6. Six. Sechs auf Deutsch. Seis en Español.

9d5, (powerfully) dragons, Lightning brand, pFear, speed regen, and {??} I used the weapon for awhile and didn't seem to be cursed.

Surely, surely, we can all agree this is a bug? I recently reported finding "Deathwreaker Lite" without aggravation (7d8 slay evil, +4 STR, pConf and other abilities) with an also relatively low level feeling (DL51 7-7). But no one seemed to think it was worth commenting on.

Both weapons were easily 9 items in my mind for their depth. Surely slightly above average brigandine armor and this 9d5 weapon should not have the same treasure feeling?
                        Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Derakon
                          Prophet
                          • Dec 2009

Something's probably off with the randart power evaluations, considering the frequency with which we're getting reports of overpowered artifacts. The game just doesn't realize how powerful they are. If we fix that, then the level feeling issue should be fixed as well. Or we could just rip level feelings out of the game.

But yeah, 27d5 per blow against non-lightning-resistant enemies. That's average 81 damage per blow, before considering pluses. At DL23 81 damage per round is pretty good.

Comment

• wobbly
                            Prophet
                            • May 2012

OP-weapons seems like one of the few things the code should be able to specifically look for? You can certainly calculate a damage no. for max. stated warrior, no off-weapon damage.

Edit: Thinking about it you know the 3 conditions liable to break things up-front:

Too much damage on the weapon (in particular acid/evil)
                            Too much off-weapon damage
                            Too many +blows

Any or all 3 could be controlled with boundary conditions in theory.

Edit 2: Also I looked at this & wasn't sure I was looking at the right things, as:

* Original random artifact generator (randart) by Greg Wooledge.
                            * Updated by Chris Carr / Chris Robertson 2001-2010.

It's definitely changed since 2010
                            Last edited by wobbly; November 7, 2018, 17:13.

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Grotug
                              What does SPIRIT flag do?
                              Monsters with spirits can b e detected or teleported by necromncy spells.

Originally posted by Grotug
                              I'd like to report a bug. I found "The Lucerne hammer of absurd dice" on DL23 and the level feeling was 6. Six. Sechs auf Deutsch. Seis en Español.

9d5, (powerfully) dragons, Lightning brand, pFear, speed regen, and {??} I used the weapon for awhile and didn't seem to be cursed.

Surely, surely, we can all agree this is a bug? I recently reported finding "Deathwreaker Lite" without aggravation (7d8 slay evil, +4 STR, pConf and other abilities) with an also relatively low level feeling (DL51 7-7). But no one seemed to think it was worth commenting on.

Both weapons were easily 9 items in my mind for their depth. Surely slightly above average brigandine armor and this 9d5 weapon should not have the same treasure feeling?
                              As Derakon suggests, problems with the object power algorithm could explain this.

Originally posted by wobbly
                              Also I looked at this & wasn't sure I was looking at the right things, as:

* Original random artifact generator (randart) by Greg Wooledge.
                              * Updated by Chris Carr / Chris Robertson 2001-2010.

It's definitely changed since 2010
                              It got a big update before 4.1, but that failed to include the file history...

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

New builds are up on the nightlies page, with the following changes:
                                • More complete key to vault.txt
                                • Reduction in drop frequency of non-readable books
                                • Reduction in mana cost and fail rate for some blackguard spells
                                • Reduction in experience for first cast of some spells

These last two particularly are going to require trial and error to get the balance right; please let me know whether they seem reasonable or unreasonable.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎