X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fizzix
    Prophet
    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
    It makes sense for one level, but when you go deeper and find something else that breaks the suspension of disbelief. Two connected places where deeper one isn't flooded by lava is not logical.
    I think one of the issues is that we have an expectation of "deeper" depth being physically deeper. Of course this makes sense since we describe dungeon level in feet.

What I have proposed in the past is to have ~5 level "zones" which are governed by different terrain/monster groups. Some of these do fit the underground motif, but that's sort of limiting.

So to get around that, we should reenvision stairs as sort of "portals" that bring you to a new place. After all that's how they function in Angband anyway. That will probably help a lot with the suspension of disbelief.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by fizzix
      I think one of the issues is that we have an expectation of "deeper" depth being physically deeper. Of course this makes sense since we describe dungeon level in feet.

What I have proposed in the past is to have ~5 level "zones" which are governed by different terrain/monster groups. Some of these do fit the underground motif, but that's sort of limiting.

So to get around that, we should reenvision stairs as sort of "portals" that bring you to a new place. After all that's how they function in Angband anyway. That will probably help a lot with the suspension of disbelief.
      One word - fizzixband
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
        Veteran
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
        It makes sense for one level, but when you go deeper and find something else that breaks the suspension of disbelief. Two connected places where deeper one isn't flooded by lava is not logical.
        As much sense as going down a stair and back up finding you're in a completely different area? Plus, I've been spelunking in lava tubes and lava does not flow in straight up and down flows. It meanders around quite a bit, taking paths of least resistance.
        “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
        ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
          As much sense as going down a stair and back up finding you're in a completely different area? Plus, I've been spelunking in lava tubes and lava does not flow in straight up and down flows. It meanders around quite a bit, taking paths of least resistance.
          But always from the same source, so if you have lava above you then any opening from the lower part of the dungeon is "below lava level" similar to sea level and gets that part of the dungeon flooded.

You could of course make those "deep chasms with lava visible at the bottom". Kind of bottomless pits. You die to impact without feather fall and burning from lava without. Monsters with flying capabilities could go past them, it would not block the LoS and anything without flying could not pass.

Comment

• jrodman
            Apprentice
            • Feb 2009

Not sure if this is the place for it -- but 4.0.3 on OS X seems to crash if I ignore it for a few hours.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Werbaer
              Paladin: Wrath of God lists 100 damage for the Banish Evil spell
              Turn Undead has damage listed as well. Didn't notice it before, but I guess it has been there since 4.x. I bet this is same bug as that banish evil damage.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                Prophet
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by fizzix
                I'm not sure but I seem to remember switching between physical and non-physical damage for the purpose of damage reduction when immune. So the problem was if you were immune to, say, fire then monsters with melee fire attacks (like Gothmog) would do 0 melee damage. The trick was to differentiate between physical and non-physical damage. So, for example, Gothmog, would still do his physical attack damage, but the bonus fire damage gets reduced to zero.

However, for specific attacks, like the jelly attack there really is no physical damage. So in this case, acid immunity does shield you from all the damage.

You can test this yourself by actually putting yourself next to the acidic cytoplasm. If it actually does no damage, it's bugged. It *should* do damage, it's just not counted as "physical"
                If does no damage. Only the physical part counts, the elemental part only counts toward item destruction (the cperc chance).
                PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                  If does no damage. Only the physical part counts, the elemental part only counts toward item destruction (the cperc chance).
                  So that's a bug then, I presume? If you don't have acid immunity it should do damage even if there is no physical part of the damage.

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                    Which means that in the latest version, any TOUCH, ENGULF, CRAWL, SPIT, GAZE, WAIL, SPORE attack does no damage except for side effects. This is really weakening some monsters, for example:

Code:
                    name:366:Acidic cytoplasm
                    blow:TOUCH:ACID:1d10
                    It will just sit there, destroying items if you're not immune to acid -- or even doing nothing but "touching you" if you're immune.
                    I just summoned an acidic cytoplasm with an acid resistant but not immune character, and checked - it does me damage.

You need to read further in the code:

Code:
                    	/* Some attacks do no physical damage */
                    	if (!monster_blow_method_physical(context->method))
                    		physical_dam = 0;

elemental_dam = adjust_dam(context->p, type, context->damage, RANDOMISE, 0);

/* Take the larger of physical or elemental damage */
                    	context->damage = (physical_dam > elemental_dam) ?
                    		physical_dam : elemental_dam;

if (elemental_dam > 0)
                    		inven_damage(context->p, type, MIN(elemental_dam * 5, 300));
                    	if (context->damage > 0)
                    		take_hit(context->p, context->damage, context->ddesc);
                    So the larger of physical and elemental damage is applied. In the case of TOUCH etc attacks, this is always the elemental damage. In the case of the worm masses, I am guessing they just weren't doing enough damage to register against regen.
                    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Nick
                      I just summoned an acidic cytoplasm with an acid resistant but not immune character, and checked - it does me damage.

You need to read further in the code:

Code:
                      	/* Some attacks do no physical damage */
                      	if (!monster_blow_method_physical(context->method))
                      		physical_dam = 0;

elemental_dam = adjust_dam(context->p, type, context->damage, RANDOMISE, 0);

/* Take the larger of physical or elemental damage */
                      	context->damage = (physical_dam > elemental_dam) ?
                      		physical_dam : elemental_dam;

if (elemental_dam > 0)
                      		inven_damage(context->p, type, MIN(elemental_dam * 5, 300));
                      	if (context->damage > 0)
                      		take_hit(context->p, context->damage, context->ddesc);
                      So the larger of physical and elemental damage is applied. In the case of TOUCH etc attacks, this is always the elemental damage. In the case of the worm masses, I am guessing they just weren't doing enough damage to register against regen.
                      Ah ok I see now... Worms were doing 1d2 so with poison resistance it's cut down to zero. Was assuming it was the same for all monsters...
                      PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2008

Potential bug in floor_object_for_use():

Code:
                        	/* Print a message if requested and there is anything left */
                        	if (message) {
                        		if (usable == obj)
                        			obj->number--;

/* Get a description */
                        		object_desc(name, sizeof(name), obj, ODESC_PREFIX | ODESC_FULL);

if (usable == obj)
                        			obj->number++;

/* Print a message */
                        		msg("You see %s.", name);
                        	}
                        This assumes only one object is used from the floor, whereas the parameter of floor_object_for_use() is "num". The easiest way to fix this is to duplicate the (correct) code from gear_object_for_use().

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2008

I don't know what changed about monster groups, but if you enter a room full of cave spiders and you wait for a couple of them to wake up, they will simply gather around your character like bees and do nothing. I'm sure they would gangbang you in previous versions.

Comment

• wobbly
                            Prophet
                            • May 2012

Don't know whether I'd call it a bug or an interface issue, but I'm standing on 18 iron shots, I can fit 6 in my inventory. Why can't I use the get command to pick up 6?

Comment

• jrodman
                              Apprentice
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by wobbly
                              Don't know whether I'd call it a bug or an interface issue, but I'm standing on 18 iron shots, I can fit 6 in my inventory. Why can't I use the get command to pick up 6?
                              A fiddly bit worthy of improvement.

I worked around this in my games by simply dropping the right amount. Ie. I have 34 shots, and there are 18 on the ground, and I want to fill to 40. I step aside, and drop 12, leaving me with 22. Now I can pick up the 18 to hit 40. Klunky but it got the job done.

Comment

• Bogatyr
                                Knight
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by jrodman
                                A fiddly bit worthy of improvement.

I worked around this in my games by simply dropping the right amount. Ie. I have 34 shots, and there are 18 on the ground, and I want to fill to 40. I step aside, and drop 12, leaving me with 22. Now I can pick up the 18 to hit 40. Klunky but it got the job done.
                                Yeah but this is a pain. I do something similar, pick up all the ammo, which if I'm just about full kicks out the last entry of inventory, drop the required ammo to reduce the quiver size, then pick up the item again. Can be risky, though, and might forget to pick up the item again.

The game really needs a "pick up ammo that fits into existing quivers" command.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎