Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gglibertine
    Adept
    • Dec 2007

I just tried opening a 3.5.0 savefile in 4.0.3 and I get the following error message: "Savefile block can't be read." I don't see anything obvious in the release notes -- will I need to download an intermediate release to open savefiles from 3.5.0?

ETA: Worse yet, 3.5.0 will open the savefile, but says "Failed" every time I try to save it.
    Last edited by gglibertine; November 11, 2015, 15:22.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
      Veteran
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by gglibertine
      I just tried opening a 3.5.0 savefile in 4.0.3 and I get the following error message: "Savefile block can't be read." I don't see anything obvious in the release notes -- will I need to download an intermediate release to open savefiles from 3.5.0?

ETA: Worse yet, 3.5.0 will open the savefile, but says "Failed" every time I try to save it.
      3.x savefiles are not compatible with 4.x. Not even close .

Comment

• gglibertine
        Adept
        • Dec 2007

Well, POO.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
          Veteran
          • Jan 2009

Well, POO.
          4.0 represents a major code reconstruction (and major improvement for the future of the game).
          “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
          ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• gglibertine
            Adept
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
            4.0 represents a major code reconstruction (and major improvement for the future of the game).
            Oh, it's very nice (though I'm having a rough time adjusting to the use of the pipe for the quiver on my annoying British keyboard). And I managed to quickly kill the unsaveable character anyway. The lava pockets around the town are interesting... where did that come from, exactly?

(Note to self: look for online source of cheap American-layout keyboards.)

Comment

• fph
              Veteran
              • Apr 2009

(Nothing prevents you from running an outdated 3.5.0 version and finish playing your character, though.)
              --
              Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                Veteran
                • Jan 2009

The lava pockets around the town are interesting... where did that come from, exactly?
                The lava pockets in the town are the first of experiments introducing new "terrain" features. In some future version we may hope to see lava, water, trees, forests, etc., in and around the dungeon. Check out FAAngband (also maintained by Nick) for an idea of what those might be like.
                “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Werbaer
                  I can reproduce this. Windows version.
                  Generate a new character.
                  Load a pref file with auto-inscriptions.
                  Quit the Character; the Word of Recall scroll gets auto-inscribed.
                  Generate Object spoilers (a). Infinite loop.
                  Thanks, got it.
                  One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                  In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• fph
                    Veteran
                    • Apr 2009

Since we are speaking about the lava pockets in town: do they have a gameplay effect that I haven't figured out yet, or are they just isomorphic to permawalls? Even with fire immunity I cannot walk into them.
                    --
                    Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by fph
                      Since we are speaking about the lava pockets in town: do they have a gameplay effect that I haven't figured out yet, or are they just isomorphic to permawalls? Even with fire immunity I cannot walk into them.
                      No, currently they are equivalent to permawalls - they were mainly included in 4.0 as a small advertisement of changes to come (and to add to the sense of doom in the town).

At some stage lava will get interesting - probably by causing fire damage to monsters/player walking on it.

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Iolanthe
                        I updated to 4.0.3 just now. I just noticed something and I wonder whether it's deliberate?

When I recall to a level and then try to go upstairs, the game won't let me That goes for both stairs created by the game and those magically created by me.
                        I don't suppose you still have a savefile for this, do you? I can't immediately reproduce the problem.

Comment

• Derakon
                          Prophet
                          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Nick
                          At some stage lava will get interesting - probably by causing fire damage to monsters/player walking on it.
                          Buck the trend of lava as a simple damage field! Have the intense heat from magma deal damage to things adjacent to it (which should probably be denoted as a superheated tile somehow), and the massive wind created by the temperature differential should deflect projectiles and spells that pass near it.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
                            Buck the trend of lava as a simple damage field! Have the intense heat from magma deal damage to things adjacent to it (which should probably be denoted as a superheated tile somehow), and the massive wind created by the temperature differential should deflect projectiles and spells that pass near it.
                            I'm not seeing it

Comment

• Derakon
                              Prophet
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Nick
                              Bah, fine, I guess my suggestion would only really make sense for really large magma deposits, not those little flows.

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

OK:

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                                - dropping missiles from the quiver doesn't refresh the missile count in the inventory subwindow immediately
                                - picking up missiles from the floor doesn't refresh the equipment subwindow immediately
                                - "do_break" (used for SHATTER attacks) does nothing when it should avoid monsters from swinging at empty air
                                - no check vs player death is done after applying damage, so the game still can apply cuts and stuns to a dead player

And I've found this minor glitch: walking over a spellbook that has learnable spells doesn't switch the "Study" indicator from greyed to white.
                                These ones are all fixed.

- "command_menu" in ui-context is never freed (there's no reason to make it static too)
                                There's some subtlety to this - when I tried freeing it after every use I got segfaults. Possibly command_menu and command_menu_iter should both go inside textui_action_menu_choose().

- uniques with the S_KIN flag summons "kin", while they were summoning "their minions" before
                                There will be some more detailed improvements to monster messages - and messages in general - later, and this will be picked up then.

- unidentified potion of dragon breath asks for a direction, while it should simply cast a ball around the player
                                This is just lucky for the player that it happens there's only one potion which requests a direction.

- "you see a Pendant <+3,+4>" when finding Ingwe (jewelry treated differently compared to other artifacts)
                                I'm not going to bother fixing this, on the grounds that ID is about to be completely redone. The same is likely to apply to similar edge cases.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎