Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PowerWyrm
    Prophet
    • Apr 2008

Nitpicky: d8c5bdf doesn't free item_list when player_book_has_unlearned_spells() returns
    PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• PowerWyrm
      Prophet
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Nick
      At some stage lava will get interesting - probably by causing fire damage to monsters/player walking on it.
      That's why you don't go wandering in the wilderness at night without light in PWMAngband

Players also drown in water ponds in PWMAngband...
      PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
        Nitpicky: d8c5bdf doesn't free item_list when player_book_has_unlearned_spells() returns
        Thank you - nitpicky is your most valuable quality
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Iolanthe
          Rookie
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Nick
          I don't suppose you still have a savefile for this, do you? I can't immediately reproduce the problem.
          I'm sorry, I haven't. I'll try to reproduce it myself and create a new one.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
            Prophet
            • Apr 2008

What's the message you had? If it's "Nothing happens!", then clearly you had force descent on and didn't notice.

Comment

• Iolanthe
              Rookie
              • Aug 2015

Re the mysterious stair not-bug: Seems, merely turning your attention to it fixed it, Nick. Thank you

If you kindly would turn your attention now to my bank account?

@PowerWyrm: No, I defintely hadn't. I'm a tourist dressed up as a ranger, so I like going up and down until I'm bored. I'm not after winning the game or even making it interesting by having new monsters or treasures every turn. I just like slashing monsters to pieces.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                Prophet
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Iolanthe
                Re the mysterious stair not-bug: Seems, merely turning your attention to it fixed it, Nick. Thank you

If you kindly would turn your attention now to my bank account?
                Go clear a hydra pit, it should fix itself

Comment

• Iolanthe
                  Rookie
                  • Aug 2015

Go clear a hydra pit, it should fix itself
                  Seems I have to stair-scum for one of those, I can't find any on my current level.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2008

Just got a message "The white worm mass crawls on you." with a poison resistant character without any apparent physical damage, which made me check the source.

Code:
                        /* Give the player a small bonus to ac for elemental attacks */
                        physical_dam = adjust_dam_armor(context->damage, context->ac + 50);

/* Some attacks do no physical damage */
                        if (!monster_blow_method_physical(context->method))
                            physical_dam = 0;
                    Which means that in the latest version, any TOUCH, ENGULF, CRAWL, SPIT, GAZE, WAIL, SPORE attack does no damage except for side effects. This is really weakening some monsters, for example:

Code:
                    name:366:Acidic cytoplasm
                    blow:TOUCH:ACID:1d10
                    It will just sit there, destroying items if you're not immune to acid -- or even doing nothing but "touching you" if you're immune.

Comment

• fizzix
                      Prophet
                      • Aug 2009

Just got a message "The white worm mass crawls on you." with a poison resistant character without any apparent physical damage, which made me check the source.

Code:
                          /* Give the player a small bonus to ac for elemental attacks */
                          physical_dam = adjust_dam_armor(context->damage, context->ac + 50);

/* Some attacks do no physical damage */
                          if (!monster_blow_method_physical(context->method))
                              physical_dam = 0;
                      Which means that in the latest version, any TOUCH, ENGULF, CRAWL, SPIT, GAZE, WAIL, SPORE attack does no damage except for side effects. This is really weakening some monsters, for example:

Code:
                      name:366:Acidic cytoplasm
                      It will just sit there, destroying items if you're not immune to acid -- or even doing nothing but "touching you" if you're immune.
                      I'm not sure but I seem to remember switching between physical and non-physical damage for the purpose of damage reduction when immune. So the problem was if you were immune to, say, fire then monsters with melee fire attacks (like Gothmog) would do 0 melee damage. The trick was to differentiate between physical and non-physical damage. So, for example, Gothmog, would still do his physical attack damage, but the bonus fire damage gets reduced to zero.

However, for specific attacks, like the jelly attack there really is no physical damage. So in this case, acid immunity does shield you from all the damage.

You can test this yourself by actually putting yourself next to the acidic cytoplasm. If it actually does no damage, it's bugged. It *should* do damage, it's just not counted as "physical"

Comment

• Derakon
                        Prophet
                        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by fizzix
                        I'm not sure but I seem to remember switching between physical and non-physical damage for the purpose of damage reduction when immune. So the problem was if you were immune to, say, fire then monsters with melee fire attacks (like Gothmog) would do 0 melee damage. The trick was to differentiate between physical and non-physical damage. So, for example, Gothmog, would still do his physical attack damage, but the bonus fire damage gets reduced to zero.

However, for specific attacks, like the jelly attack there really is no physical damage. So in this case, acid immunity does shield you from all the damage.

You can test this yourself by actually putting yourself next to the acidic cytoplasm. If it actually does no damage, it's bugged. It *should* do damage, it's just not counted as "physical"
                        Put another way, most elemental attacks are now partially split between physical and elemental damage. If you get hit with a flaming sword, you should still be hurt even if you're immune to fire. But some attacks shouldn't deal physical damage because they aren't physically violent, and that includes touch, crawl, etc. attacks -- so the damage from those should be purely elemental.

Incidentally, Vargo's attacks should probably be changed from "hit" to "touch" or something. He's a fire elemental; he has no physicality. Short of the heat the worst he can do is kind of blow on you. Same goes for fire elementals and fire spirits, really.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                          In some future version we may hope to see lava, water, trees, forests, etc., in and around the dungeon.
                          I find lava so out of place in dungeons that it breaks my suspension of disbelief. Call those pits of fire and I'll be fine.

Trees and forests underground are equally out of place. I wish we would not get any of those in angband.

Spiderwebs, shallow and deep water, maybe poisonous slime, areas with gas hazards, things like that would be nice.

Comment

• Derakon
                            Prophet
                            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                            Spiderwebs, shallow and deep water, maybe poisonous slime, areas with gas hazards, things like that would be nice.
                            Giant mushrooms, stala[ct|gm]ites, crevasses, collapsed tunnels (basically just flavor for dead-ended corridors), crystal formations...

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                              I find lava so out of place in dungeons that it breaks my suspension of disbelief. Call those pits of fire and I'll be fine.
                              Lava makes sense to me, especially in cavern levels. I know Mt. Doom was a volcano in which Sauron forged The One Ring, so lava makes sense there. It seems feasible to me that volcanic activity in the Mountains of Angband was being harnessed by Morgoth, but I could be wrong.
                              “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                              ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                                Prophet
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                                Lava makes sense to me, especially in cavern levels. I know Mt. Doom was a volcano in which Sauron forged The One Ring, so lava makes sense there. It seems feasible to me that volcanic activity in the Mountains of Angband was being harnessed by Morgoth, but I could be wrong.
                                It makes sense for one level, but when you go deeper and find something else that breaks the suspension of disbelief. Two connected places where deeper one isn't flooded by lava is not logical.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎