Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AwooWolfWoof
    Rookie
    • Apr 2021

How many quests can you get in coffee break mode guys? There's of course the theives, wargs, and the orcs (I died to the last one as a level 19 android mauler. Probably too low leveled and a bit underequipped I guess.) And certain quests appear on certain floor to kill a unique I think.

And lastly, do stat up potions drop on coffee break mode?

Comment

• Sideways
      Knight
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by AwooWolfWoof
      How many quests can you get in coffee break mode guys? There's of course the theives, wargs, and the orcs (I died to the last one as a level 19 android mauler. Probably too low leveled and a bit underequipped I guess.) And certain quests appear on certain floor to kill a unique I think.

And lastly, do stat up potions drop on coffee break mode?
      Coffee-break mode has four main quest lines (Castle, Inn, Thieves' Guild, Trump Tower) with a total of 24 town quests, plus the 10 level guardians, plus the three node quests, plus Oberon and the Serpent; so up to 39 quests in theory if you do Spawning Pits and every node quest. Instant-coffee mode has 10 town quests, plus the level guardians and p/J. Neither mode has any limitation on stat potion drops (instant-coffee mode has special drop rules for healing potions).
      The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• AwooWolfWoof
        Rookie
        • Apr 2021

Originally posted by Sideways
        Coffee-break mode has four main quest lines (Castle, Inn, Thieves' Guild, Trump Tower) with a total of 24 town quests, plus the 10 level guardians, plus the three node quests, plus Oberon and the Serpent; so up to 39 quests in theory if you do Spawning Pits and every node quest. Instant-coffee mode has 10 town quests, plus the level guardians and p/J. Neither mode has any limitation on stat potion drops (instant-coffee mode has special drop rules for healing potions).
        Thanks for the reply . When playing as a weaponsmith, are the items worth disenchanting/taking essence from the one of good quality and above?
        Last edited by AwooWolfWoof; April 29, 2021, 16:26.

Comment

• Sideways
          Knight
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by AwooWolfWoof
          Thanks for the reply . When playing as a weaponsmith, are the items worth disenchanting/taking essence from the one of good quality and above?
          Not entirely sure what you mean here; but in general, if you think you might equip the item at some point, don't absorb the essences on it yet; otherwise, do absorb them. (Note that destroying an item also absorbs its essences.)

Comment

• AwooWolfWoof
            Rookie
            • Apr 2021

Yep, that's the answer I was looking for Looking back, my question was a bit poorly worded x)

Comment

• AwooWolfWoof
              Rookie
              • Apr 2021

Is there a way to uncurse items when playing as a berserker guys? I can rip off one but I'm unable to remove the others.

Comment

• Thraalbee
                Knight
                • Sep 2010

keep trying. unless perma-cursed (very rare) you will succeed eventually

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2012

[21:53] HugoV: Improved The Glaive of Pain (9d7) (+10,+30) for 4480 gold. You are wearing The Glaive of Pain (9d7) (+10,+30).
                  [21:54] HugoV: I wonder how this cost was decided

That's quite a cheap cost, which didn't make sense considering the high score of The Glaive of Pain. Because of this, I decided to stop using The Glaive of Pain.

On the other hand, upgrading Sting at this Fighters' Hall is much more costly. Interestingly, cost of upgrading Narsil or even Careth Asdriag is the same as the Glaive of Pain.

Even weirder: cost of upgrading my Cap of the Fell Rider is like 7.7k for a single upgrade...

Also, race abilities i.e. via 'U' command aren't blocked by Anti-Magic, right? Should they be blocked by Anti-Magic?
                  Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; May 3, 2021, 03:27.
                  My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Sideways
                    Knight
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                    [21:53] HugoV: Improved The Glaive of Pain (9d7) (+10,+30) for 4480 gold. You are wearing The Glaive of Pain (9d7) (+10,+30).
                    [21:54] HugoV: I wonder how this cost was decided

That's quite a cheap cost, which didn't make sense considering the high score of The Glaive of Pain. Because of this, I decided to stop using The Glaive of Pain.
                    This is not a bug; you're probably used to the cost of enchanting both to-hit and to-dam at the same time. In this case, you're only enchanting to-hit; and the weapon score evaluation algorithm gives a fairly low weight to accuracy, especially for lowish accuracy values of up to 10. (The value of a single point of accuracy more than doubles at +11.)

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2012

How about these unpopular ideas:
                      Make Destruction destroy stairs and destroy floor items beneath player?
                      My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Pete Mack
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

Destroying under the player doesn't make sense, and destroying stairs can mean a list game for an Ironman character.

Comment

• MITZE
                          Swordsman
                          • Jan 2017

Questionable Virtue Workings

Not necessarily a bug, but perhaps disagreeable design depending on your view:

Line 3946 in object2.c, the Sacrifice virtue actually reduces the value of generated gold piles if it has a positive value; thematically, this arguably checks out, but mechanically, it's punishing the player for being "a good person". Only calling it to your attention in case you feel differently than about how it's currently working.

Also, I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this one already at some point, but for posterity the Patience virtue currently has similar functionality; it actually increases natural monster generation if it's in the positive, decreasing monster generation if it's in the negative. Unlike Sacrifice, I can't logically understand this one (also Patience is actually really hard/tedious to get and keep a positive value for; to be punished for actually doing so further makes no sense).
                          Last edited by MITZE; May 9, 2021, 07:20. Reason: Fixed formatting.
                          Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• GrimaTheBold
                            Apprentice
                            • Jan 2020

? of Acquisition

So what is the ideal time/depth to read these? I'm continually disappointed in what I'm getting from them.

My current Hermes Rogue, CL 37, got lucky and had stockpiled 7 of them. So when I got to the bottom of Battlefield (DL 50, my deepest current dungeon) I decided to go wild and read all 7.

The result: nothing useful at all. A rod of lightning ball (of holding, whatever that does). A Fur Cloak of the Bat. Small shield of Elemental protection (FiPo). A Hell Harness. Dwarven shovel of extra attacks. Best item was Double Chain of Celestial Protection (LiCfCa) but its not something I can use. And a Scythe of Slicing of Sharpness.

So what does everyone else do? Hold onto them for deeper? Read them at DL 90 or something like that?

And am I the only who thinks their results should be more special?

Comment

• Pete Mack
                              Prophet
                              • Apr 2007

Use them when you find them. The amortized value of just one more GREAT drop goes down with dungeon depth, as GREAT drops become more and more common. That said, it's a little more complicated in multi-dungeon variants, where your depth is not so uniformly increasing. If you find it at a shallow depth in the wilderness, wait to return to your previous level. (Or just sneak into the edge of the mountains or the like.)

Comment

• Thraalbee
                                Knight
                                • Sep 2010

For a stack of them I'd go to angband level 1 or so. Back to Telmora(?). Then Trump Tower to Angband level 98. Bring !enlighten and ?destruction and recall. That town service costs a lot. 100k iirc.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎