X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideways
    Knight
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by MITZE
    Had a player on the webserver wondering where their vFear was coming from, on a Craven character.

Yes, I know the name of the personality would imply it, but apparently that's not enough and it needs to be explicitly stated that Craven gives vFear; its current description doesn't do that.
    I think it's not stated because Craven also penalizes your CL for fear check calculations; and only mentioning the vFear might give the inaccurate implication that that's the only fear-related penalty, while mentioning both feels like overkill for a short flavor description. (They are both mentioned in the much longer help section on fear.)
    The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• MITZE
      Swordsman
      • Jan 2017

Bugs/RFEs: Various Things

Bunch of various things; some arguably bugs, and some arguably not but also don't make sense if you stop to think about them.

• Necromancers two-handing something still counts for them having a "free hand" for touch attacks. Possibly applies for mummies too, etc.
      • Similar problem with (at least) mummies; according to Bucephalus, they can wear a shield, hold the reins while riding, and still have a "free hand" for their gimmicks.
      • Animate Dead, logically, reanimates corpses and skeletons . . . yet, detect spells treat the reanimated as living still. Not strictly a bug, but a logic problem with the current system.
      Last edited by MITZE; October 28, 2022, 23:27. Reason: Fixed grammar.
      Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• MITZE
        Swordsman
        • Jan 2017

One More Thing

Oh, one more thing about Animate Dead: while regular monsters running away might make sense, it doesn't for undead slaves!

Comment

• MITZE
          Swordsman
          • Jan 2017

Bug/RFE: Necromancers and Vecnacrown

If I'm understanding how things work correctly, Vecnacrown can't drop for Necromancers. Ever.

It's a setchance drop from Vecna only, and for Necromancers Vecnahand takes priority in the statement.

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

Vecna really needs 100% to drop his head.
            That is such a good (apocryphal) story. Direct ancestor of Leeeeroy Jenkkns!

Comment

• MITZE
              Swordsman
              • Jan 2017

That's One Tough Sheep

Click image for larger version

Name:	That's One Tough Sheep.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	233485

It really, really is.

Comment

• MITZE
                Swordsman
                • Jan 2017

The Land of Oz

Visited Oz for the first time yesterday.

You're a sick and twisted individual, rodent.

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MITZE
                  You're a sick and twisted individual, rodent.
                  Like all the best maintainers.
                  One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                  In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• MITZE
                    Swordsman
                    • Jan 2017

Bug: Necromancer Touch Spells and Fear

A necromancer's touch spells don't appear to be consistent with current fear code; as far as I can tell it looks like it (necromancer.c starting at line 14) still presumes old binary fear code (e.g. current V/FA2), where being afraid at all prevents you from doing the thing (melee, or in a Necromancer's case their touch spells which in a lot of ways count as melee) and also prevents you from wasting the turn due to fear getting in the way.

Comment

• GrimaTheBold
                      Apprentice
                      • Jan 2020

Quick question - when casting Genocide, why does the game ask for confirmation if it's a 'n' or 'X'? What's special about nagas and xorns?

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by GrimaTheBold
                        Quick question - when casting Genocide, why does the game ask for confirmation if it's a 'n' or 'X'? What's special about nagas and xorns?
                        At a guess, something to do with the fact that 'N' and 'x' are not monster types?
                        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Thraalbee
                          Knight
                          • Sep 2010

x is unmaker and they can be numerous. you might die if low on hp so a confirm is nice

Comment

• Sideways
                            Knight
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by GrimaTheBold
                            'n' is the repeat key for the regular keyset, and 'X' is the repeat key for the roguelike keyset.

Staves of genocide in particular have very high fail rates for most characters, so it's not unusual to see 100 consecutive failures before the staff is successfully used on attempt #101. By that point, most players will already be sitting on (or prepared to hit) the repeat key to initiate attempt #102...
                            The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• MITZE
                              Swordsman
                              • Jan 2017

Bug: Trap Doors, Disarming, Levitation, and easy_disarm

With levitation and with easy_disarm off, walking into a trap door ignores it, and failing to disarm a trap door ignores it. Expected.

With levitation and with easy disarm on, walking into a trap door ignores it, and failing to disarm a trap door procs it.

EDIT: rhukath's the one who pointed out the bug, I just did a bit of poking and the report.
                              Last edited by MITZE; November 29, 2022, 18:19. Reason: Added some info, fixed formatting and added a credit.

Comment

• MITZE
                                Swordsman
                                • Jan 2017

Bug/RFE: Beaming spells destroying loot underfoot

Spells that beam will destroy loot you're standing on top of—even though the animation doesn't look like it hits the square you're on at all. Requesting this be changed to not happen.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎