X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideways
    Knight
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Thraalbee
    Thanks! It is too big though, so I'll restart after downloading the nightly. Snotlings level up very fast and even if Glaurung does not drop his helm this time I'll find something else nice. Again, thanks for all the work on this great variant!

[EDIT] Where do I find the nightly?
    https://github.com/sulkasormi/frogco...ads/master.zip

You'll need to compile it though, if that's a problem you can also find it on angband.live.
    The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• Thraalbee
      Knight
      • Sep 2010

Hunted by a Caaws!

I was just followed around by a Caaws in a watery room. Never experienced that before and the description says Stationary. What is going on here?

Comment

• Sideways
        Knight
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Thraalbee
        I was just followed around by a Caaws in a watery room. Never experienced that before and the description says Stationary. What is going on here?
        Probably a tanuki (as a couple of people commented on angband.live).

Comment

• Thraalbee
          Knight
          • Sep 2010

putting the cursor on it and reading the lore said Caaws with expected stats and imunities but it was only mildly annoying

Comment

• budswell
            Adept
            • Jun 2008

Question about playing as a ring. I had a death/hell knight as a mount, and he had some summons which I kept for ages:
            - a troll who ended up a storm troll (had him since whatever was before Troll King)
            - and ethereal dragon

The hell knight threw me off. Once I got him back the troll was a pet again, but the dragon was not. Probably related the troll came with me on recalls, any others did not.

Does anyone know what the difference was? All I can think is maybe I had "ridden" the the troll at some stage but not the dragon. Would that make a difference?
            http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-browse.php?e=budswell
            http://te4.org/user/1471/characters

Comment

• GenjiHikari
              Rookie
              • Aug 2022

Hello. I'm having a problem with making macros for Wild-Talent work.
              For example I mapped sequence "mab*5" on F1 key. After pushing that key it only opens main talents menu that can be activated by pressing "m" key and nothing more. Mapping sequence "ab*5" kinda works, but still requires two keystrokes instead one.

P.S. Thank you for such a great game I having a blast playing it. But summoners are suck

Comment

• Sideways
                Knight
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by GenjiHikari
                Hello. I'm having a problem with making macros for Wild-Talent work.
                For example I mapped sequence "mab*5" on F1 key. After pushing that key it only opens main talents menu that can be activated by pressing "m" key and nothing more. Mapping sequence "ab*5" kinda works, but still requires two keystrokes instead one.

P.S. Thank you for such a great game I having a blast playing it. But summoners are suck
                Hi GenjiHikari, thanks for the feedback! That's a known bug with the official salmiak release. It can be solved by upgrading to the dev version from Github (but you'll need to compile it yourself, since the last .exe upload is salmiak).

If you lack the tools to compile you can also play the dev version on angband.live, you can't import your offline character there though.

Comment

• Saru
                  Scout
                  • Jul 2019

Thoughts after sorcerer win

Just a couple questions that came up with my most recent character -

1. Is Orb of Entropy's extra effect going to ever be relevant? Unless I am misreading the source, which is admittedly not unlikely, it seems the max HP reduction is rather insignificant. Is there ever (even a niche?) a way that it is useful, or is it simply undertuned / flavor really? Seems a shame, it is such a neat idea.

2. Craft's magic armor, what does the "magic resistance" part of it mean? Not reducing damage from any sort of monster spells, and saving throw as displayed on the character sheet was the same I believe. The line showing magic resistance from armor pieces didn't even show a temporary value up for it when the spell was cast either, is the description outdated or is something amiss?

Thanks once again for the great game and answering silly obscure questions such as these.
                  Clearing levels one spell at a time.

Comment

• Sideways
                    Knight
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Saru
                    Just a couple questions that came up with my most recent character -

1. Is Orb of Entropy's extra effect going to ever be relevant? Unless I am misreading the source, which is admittedly not unlikely, it seems the max HP reduction is rather insignificant. Is there ever (even a niche?) a way that it is useful, or is it simply undertuned / flavor really? Seems a shame, it is such a neat idea.

2. Craft's magic armor, what does the "magic resistance" part of it mean? Not reducing damage from any sort of monster spells, and saving throw as displayed on the character sheet was the same I believe. The line showing magic resistance from armor pieces didn't even show a temporary value up for it when the spell was cast either, is the description outdated or is something amiss?

Thanks once again for the great game and answering silly obscure questions such as these.
                    1. Orb of Entropy is basically a non-player-healing ball of Vampirism, so what goes for wands of vampirism (and other vampiric attacks) also mostly applies here: the max HP reduction is not useful very often (due to how small it is compared to the overall damage), but it is useful in niche situations; to slowly kill an opponent you have trouble finishing off in more conventional ways because it outheals any damage you deal.

(Would guess the reduction is more likely to be relevant with a wand of vampirism, though, just because having Orb of Entropy implicitly suggests you also have the other options in the Death realm.)

2. It gives you an extremely high saving throw. If you're not seeing any difference, I would guess you already had an extremely high saving throw, so there'd be no change

Comment

• Bucephalus
                      Apprentice
                      • Jul 2016

I think I've found a good workaround for the agony of leaving artifacts behind when your pack is full.

The item limit is number-based, not weight-based, on the ostensible justification that every additional discrete item you stick somewhere makes everything else harder to find. Anyone who's lived out of a backpack can attest to this. It's a real thing.

That said, when the level is cleared and it's just you and a pile of artifacts, who cares?

So what about this: If you pick something up beyond z (and your inventory starts scrolling, like your home), up-to-and-including the next 13 slots or so, using or removing an item from your pack takes triple energy.

This being a death sentence 99% of the time seems like an adequate deterrent, and on those rare occasions when the level is cleared and it's just you and a pile of artifacts, it would make a frustrating aspect of the game considerably less frustrating.

Comment

• Bucephalus
                        Apprentice
                        • Jul 2016

Also it's weird that imps can be "pious" since I'm pretty sure "imp" is just shorthand for "impious one".

Comment

• Bucephalus
                          Apprentice
                          • Jul 2016

After Gothmog breathes hellfire at a good pet, a flag gets flipped to double the damage, and it never get checked again. Even if the pets die, he'll breathe for 500 unresistable hellfire at the player every single time until he dies or you do.

Lost a promising character to this earlier today. Managed to reproduce it in Salmiak, so it's been in the code for a while. Did not test on other hellfire breathers.

Comment

• Sideways
                            Knight
                            • Nov 2008

Thanks for the report.

Can't reproduce it, though; every time I've tried it, damage reverts to normal as soon as the pet dies; and I can't see a problem in the code either. There's an alignment update in delete_monster_idx(), and calculate_upkeep() rechecks pets' alignment every turn even if you have no pets.

Comment

• Bucephalus
                              Apprentice
                              • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Sideways
                              Thanks for the report.

Can't reproduce it, though; every time I've tried it, damage reverts to normal as soon as the pet dies;
                              Hey fair enough. Honestly I teleported the pets away instead of dismissing them (I should have done that). It is, if nothing else, profoundly weird that having good-aligned pets out of LOS doubles hellfire damage for the player.

Comment

• MITZE
                                Swordsman
                                • Jan 2017

RFE: "Craven" clarification

Had a player on the webserver wondering where their vFear was coming from, on a Craven character.

Yes, I know the name of the personality would imply it, but apparently that's not enough and it needs to be explicitly stated that Craven gives vFear; its current description doesn't do that.
                                Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎