Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nivim
    Apprentice
    • Jan 2014

Sounds like it needs the other effects of curses to work properly; something where you can technically get cursed at any level to make it harder to remove you, but then you'll be tanking Draining or Attract Dragons to make it happen.

Best if creature's additional removal difficulty is based on the difficulty the curses actually cause you, so just "cursed" (preventing dismounting) may only give a tiny bonus, but Epic Doom (new curses to go with the new jewelery enchants) and Attract Cyberdemons mean you'll need to get Charisma drained to actually be cast off.

Curses could also have a sacrifice in the form of making your Charm and luring less likely to work; the second because monster pseudo-ID will tell them you're "awful" or "terrible" instead of "excellent".
    Last edited by Nivim; April 9, 2014, 08:12. Reason: oook has no indent

Comment

• Arjen
      Adept
      • Dec 2010

Just thought of another idea. A service to probe your mount. So you know what it actually can do and how much xp it has gathered. Because I'm wondering if my Paladin can level up (Ultra-Elite Paladin?) and how much is needed.

Comment

• chris
        PosChengband Maintainer
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Arjen
        Just thought of another idea. A service to probe your mount. So you know what it actually can do and how much xp it has gathered. Because I'm wondering if my Paladin can level up (Ultra-Elite Paladin?) and how much is needed.
        Have you found a staff of probing yet? They are fairly common around DL30, I think. Eventually you will absorb the Probing power as well. But I agree with you that Probing is very useful for this build (or any build that uses pets).

Comment

• Arjen
          Adept
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by chris
          Have you found a staff of probing yet? They are fairly common around DL30, I think. Eventually you will absorb the Probing power as well. But I agree with you that Probing is very useful for this build (or any build that uses pets).
          Haven't found a source of Probing yet, and yeah, they are common (never actually looked for it though). And I figured another way to check if someone can evolve. The monster service. So I know that my White Knight (my Paladin evolved!) becomes an Ultra-Elite Paladin, just not with how much exp.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
            Veteran
            • Jan 2012

I should know by now...but, where is this monster service?
            My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• chris
              PosChengband Maintainer
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
              I should know by now...but, where is this monster service?
              Check out all the buildings in Morivant. I'm sure some of the other towns offer this service as well.

Comment

• Arjen
                Adept
                • Dec 2010

Only the Outpost doesn't have monster service. Costs are 1500 gold per monster you check.

Comment

• fred
                  Rookie
                  • Jul 2013

Gaining Anti Magic ability in the ring class. Possible? Should it be? Kept as a deathsword/disenchant type downside to the class?

Comment

• UglySquirrell
                    Swordsman
                    • Jul 2011

Hahaha, after a break i was really looking forward to trying a possessor it looks amazing and is really fun. I died a bunch of times, and as i was rerolling a new guy, saw ring as a choice. Decided to give it a shot, i couldn't really see how it would work.

Wow, This is such an incredibly, amazing and original idea, it also fits in perfectly with the games theme. I kept laughing out loud at the comments of my victims. Such a cool caster class idea as well, Now i see there is a competition so Ring now and possessor later Thanks for all your hard work this is soo cool.

Comment

• krazyhades
                      Swordsman
                      • Jun 2013

So, in the wilderness, when "you've stumbled onto something interesting..." and it's the abandoned/destroyed version of the structure, is there ever anything other than just monsters in there? All of my experiences so far with them have had 0 chests.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2012

You can still encounter enclosed rooms with a monster awaiting in one room and a chest in another. In rare cases, you may encounter "a castle" loaded with high level paladins. Beware!

Example of wilderness "castle" encounter:
                        Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; April 10, 2014, 04:16.

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

Comment

• krazyhades
                          Swordsman
                          • Jun 2013

I've found the intact ones with treasure. I just never think that the abandoned-looking ones are ever interesting, and I'm considering just making a habit of going back to overland travel mode when I find that variety.

Comment

• chris
                            PosChengband Maintainer
                            • Jan 2008

Wilderness encounters still need a lot of work. Currently, there are just a few encounter types for each terrain area of the wilderness with the result that if you spend a lot of time in the wilderness, you get the same few encounters over and over again

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by krazyhades
                              I've found the intact ones with treasure. I just never think that the abandoned-looking ones are ever interesting, and I'm considering just making a habit of going back to overland travel mode when I find that variety.
                              I once found an intact wilderness room with Lord Borel of Hendrake!!

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                                Veteran
                                • Jun 2007

@chris: Been away for while, but I just have to say: what a stroke of genius the Ring race is! Especially the "abuse" of the RIDING mechanic!

Well done!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍