• Show
Clear All
  • UglySquirrell
    Swordsman
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by chris
    I'm hoping someone will tell me

I can't believe how much work you put in already, and your asking for more

Well as far as another class/race goes, you mean there is one missing?
    Ring, Possessor, Elemental, Jelly, Hound, Sword, Angel, Lich, etc....
    It's crazy so much to do already.

But, if you really want more to do, here's my idea.

So i was trying to think of the most fun Class/race iv'e played that is not already in the game. And i keep remembering the Nameless One from Planescape Torment (Such an amazing game). I remember the bite off your own finger, and replace it with this finger bone Quest. and plucking out your own eye to swap it with another one.

Now i realize this is a vastly different game but here i try and take roughly that idea and make it into a class/race.

How about a nameless god that has been cast down, stripped of power and
    thought destroyed. You could start off as a Disembodied hand (The only part that survived)

Your quest is to rebuild your destroyed body, regain lost powers, and seek vengeance on the gods that did this to you.

As far as rebuilding your body, i was thinking you could use the corpses and bones of fallen enemies, sort of a crazy build it yourself Frankenstein.

Harvester or Nameless One-

As far as class powers:

Stitch: The ability to add and remove limbs, could use the inventory slots (No armor, your a God!! weapons maybe?)

Helm-eyes
    Rings/amulets-organs
    armor-torso
    boots-legs,feet
    bow/shield arms?
    Cloak-Back

Corpse repurposing : the ability to take parts of corpses or piles of bones and create body parts or organs, that you can then stitch onto your own body. Maybe creating a back/cloak with a dragon would give you wings?

Combine Flesh: Add flesh or bones to existing organs/limbs to increase their powers. (adding Ancient red dragon bodies to a limb would increase fire resistance)

As far as active powers, maybe transfer some of the skills from the base organ/limb. e.g. you have created eyes from a floating eye, now you can gaze to paralyze. Or hands/claws from an Umber hulk have a chance to confuse.

Whew, sorry for the long post,

Cheers!
    Last edited by UglySquirrell; April 15, 2014, 03:21.

Comment

• Djabanete
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Wow --- that's definitely crazy enough for PosChengband!

That unlocks the design space of having a Body screen that is similar to the Equipment screen. Most characters would not have control over their Body screen, but this class would be able to craft items that go in Body slots. A Body screen could have some kind of synergies with PosChengband allowing you to play such weird races. I want to think more about this so I can pitch it better to Chris...

Most folks would start with this:
      Human head
      Human arms
      Human torso
      Human legs

You could, say, gain an extra pair of arms somewhere and wield more weapons. Could get funky.

Limbs could have innate melee attack capabilities tied into STR and DEX.

Comment

• Arjen
        Adept
        • Dec 2010

I like this monsterclass already. Building yourself out of corpses. Don't play that monster after midnight!

Comment

• chris
          PosChengband Maintainer
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by krazyhades
          I hear that at least one of the two necromancer artifacts (the light source?) sucks really badly compared to other light sources of that/lesser rarity...not to mention that the necro itself sucks, since melee attacks for a mage are bad, powerful summons are unreliable sooner or later, and levelling via summons results in a big xp penalty. Sad thing, because I was initially excited about the necromancer, but in reading on I became disappointed and stopped playing them.
          Necromancers are a heavy summoning build, so you will have to like that playstyle in order to enjoy the class. Summoning is not all they can do, but it is about 50% of their power. You won't be able level as a pure summoner the way a quylthulg can, however, as experience gained for your summon's kills is greatly reduced (It used to be no experience in Hengband, and no drops too, but those restrictions have been relaxed).

Their other main ability are special touch based powers that are supposed to replace normal melee attacks. These can be quite powerful (They can even kill with a single touch!).

Necromancers also have good knowledge based utility spells (detection/mapping/identify) as well as what I hoped would be one of the coolest spells in the game (Entomb).

SPOILERS:
          [SPOILER]The Eye of Vecna is at least as powerful as any other light source, so I am puzzled by that comment. It grants telepathy (like the Palantir) and activates for Clairvoyance (like the Jewel). It boosts your Intelligence and your Spell Capacity as well as making your spells easier to cast. It is more powerful than the Palantir IMO and probably as good as the Jewel. I'm not sure what is considered better? But perhaps it is the Hand that is disappointing? Again, that is puzzling. The hand grants economical mana and also doubles the damage of your touch attacks. You really couldn't hope to win without it![/SPOILER]

Comment

• Djabanete
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

Still following the "body screen" train of thought --- ultimately I think I prefer a more Vanilla feel, and the switching around of body parts is a weird game space that I probably wouldn't enjoy more than just playing warriors and mages, so I won't carry on advocating for that. But I still think it's the logical extension of the race idea I was responding to!

*Relurks
            *Keeps meaning to play some PosCheng

Comment

• EpicMan
              Swordsman
              • Dec 2009

Sounds a lot like the Steamband automaton/steam-mecha races. While the normal races gained stats every level, the robots would need to find new body parts for better stats, which they used instead of helms(head), armor(torso), gloves (arms), and boots (legs). They could wear jewelry/cloaks/shields(pants in Steamband)/lights/shooters/weapons like normal, but could not wear boots, gloves, helms, or armor.

In terms of using monster corpses, you might look at Portralis' monster races, who would collect 'essences' from dead monsters and wear those. A red dragon essence would have stats and rFire, etc. So a Frankenstein's monster-type creature would be able to use the corpses generated, and you wouldn't need to generate a new type of item that would be useless to everyone else.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                Veteran
                • Jan 2012

Here's something I should have known already:
                HOW do I turn off the auto-destroyer SPECIFICALLY for Wands of Haste monster and Staves of Haste monsters?

I really want the auto-destroyer OFF for these TWO because I want them ready for my Sorcerer (pet) while playing the Ring!
                My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• chris
                  PosChengband Maintainer
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                  Here's something I should have known already:
                  HOW do I turn off the auto-destroyer SPECIFICALLY for Wands of Haste monster and Staves of Haste monsters?

I really want the auto-destroyer OFF for these TWO because I want them ready for my Sorcerer (pet) while playing the Ring!
                  Simply add the following to your pickup preferences (Type '_'):
                  Code:
                  wand of haste
                  staff of haste
                  You don't need to type the full object name (e.g. wand of haste monster) or obey case. You just need to type enough to disambiguate from other wands/staves. The default action for a line in your pickup preferences is to pick it up. Other actions are controlled by a leading character (e.g. ! to destroy). I think I've written up autodestroyer stuff a few times now, but can't recall where/when. Probably, a better in game help file is in order. You can also consult autopick.txt in the game's root directory. This file is directly from Hengband but should still apply.

Comment

• krazyhades
                    Swordsman
                    • Jun 2013

@chris, Hugo, debo, and other strong PosChengband (and vanilla, but that's not for this forum really...) players, are you able to stream? I like watching good players, and other people do too.

Alternatively, as I'm already set up for streaming to twitch and uploading to youtube, I'd gladly stream my own games with the company and knowledge of other players through voice chat. Even tonight!

edit: also, @chris, some of my learned bias against necro came from the Hengband-era in-game reference, and the comment about the necro artifact was based on a possibly-incorrect observation of clouded's on his necro dump.
                    Last edited by krazyhades; April 17, 2014, 04:11.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2012

I would like to stream, but don't have good screen recording software for this. Any suggestions? I've heard of termcasting. But I have no idea how termcasting works.
                      My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• krazyhades
                        Swordsman
                        • Jun 2013

I use the free version of xsplit broadcaster for the most part. For premade group calls, like online tabletop rpg sessions, I use screensharing in google hangouts (and often the excellent Roll20 hangouts app). Getting the xsplit settings to a good place used to be slightly annoying and take a fair amount of testing, but my understanding is that they simplified that aspect quite a bit.

Plus, if you're planning on being up, you could join me on a call or some such tonight

Comment

• krazyhades
                          Swordsman
                          • Jun 2013

Unrelatedly, I seem to have found an identification bug. I have two unidentified, no-feeling (yet) cloaks in my inventory. When I inspect them (I was checking to see if they would tell me where I found them each, as in V. They don't in this version :/ so I need to obsessively inscribe more), I noticed that one of the two cloaks' detailed descriptions let me in on a little secret: "It is cursed."

I'll leave this instance open and alone in case you have any questions to help figure it out chris, since you seem to be up.

Comment

• Nivim
                            Apprentice
                            • Jan 2014

I kinda thought debo would just be here with a termcasting explanation, but I guess he's doing the crawl tournament too. Sadly, I have never personally termcasted, but I hope this information is correct:

Originally posted by Silmarell
                            termcast[1/4]: telnet termcast.org to watch -- see the following entries for how to termcast
                            termcast[2/4]: On Linux: script -f >( cat ~/.ratry_login - | nc -q5 noway.ratry.ru 31337 > /dev/null ) "$@" #
                            termcast[3/4]: On OS X: script -t 0 >( cat ~/.ratry_login - | nc noway.ratry.ru 31337 > /dev/null )
                            termcast[4/4]: Where .ratry_login is one line, hello name password

Comment

• krazyhades
                              Swordsman
                              • Jun 2013

On Windows, cry?

Comment

• MarvinPA
                                Scout
                                • Jul 2013

I termcast Poscheng in Cygwin on Windows, I think there is some way or other to termcast outside of Cygwin too but don't recall the details and never got it to work. OBS is pretty good free streaming software if you want to try that, also (and was less resource-intensive than XSplit last time I looked if that makes a difference).

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎