X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris
    PosChengband Maintainer
    • Jan 2008

[Announce] Poschengband 3.1.0 Released

I've just release a new beta update to Poschengband here. There are substantial changes to Archery and Extra Attacks in melee, so I think this update warrants a new minor release (3.0 -> 3.1). You may update savefiles if you like, but, as always, I recommend making a backup first. I definitely updated my characters from 3.0 to 3.1 without issue, but that doesn't mean I didn't mess up something obvious.

Source code is available here. A full diff of changes can be found here.

So, what changed?
    [1] Archery:
    * The bow multipliers are now specified in the edit files rather than being inferred.
    * The game supports fractional bow multipliers.
    * Ego bows of Velocity get +.25x to the multiplier.
    * Extra Might now "dice boosts" the bow on item generation (Warning: Upgrading will only give +.75x for ego bows)
    * Extra Shots now always use the object's pval, and grant +.25 shots per plus (Warning: Upgrading will give a pval of 3 if one is not present).
    * Equipment combat bonuses now mostly apply to archery as well as melee. Exceptions include all gloves (except sniper), rings of combat (of course) and a few combat helms like Terror Mask and Hammerhand.
    * Pickup preferences now treat dice boosted shooters like dice boosted melee weapons, so you can see these at a glance in map mode or with the object list command (']').
    * Various shooting classes have had their extra shot values toned down.
    * Rings of Archery are less likely to grant both Extra Might and Extra Shots.

[2] Melee changes
    * Extra attacks are now fractional, and you get +.5 attacks per round per plus.
    * Many items have had their pvals shuffled to compensate.

[3] Device changes
    * Magic Mastery no longer gives device power. Instead, there is a new Device Power flag and it is currently extremely rare.
    * Magic Mastery can now spawn on some of the wizard amulets.
    * Wands of Rockets are more rare (and deeper)
    * Wands of Disintegrate are also more rare (and deeper).

[4] Miscellaneous
    * Death Swords now gain fractional blows for extra attacks. The number of blows possible is open ended, but in general, the final form will have a limited number of extra attacks.
    * Death Sword retaliation for the Death Scythe form now only triggers 1 in 3.
    * Scouts got some minor adjustments and an improved character dump. Scout terrain effects to AC and Saving Throw now scale with level.
    * Mariliths get a usable starting weapon and their Enchantment power is now super cheap and easy (since they must eat corpses for food).
    * Monsters with Pass/Kill Wall will no longer spam spells when a player is hiding out of line of sight.
    * The out of bounds wilderness bug has been fixed.
    * Rand-art helms/crowns are more likely to gain ESP.
    Last edited by chris; March 25, 2014, 19:13.
  • HugoVirtuoso
    Veteran
    • Jan 2012

Awesome. Just in time for my next "Hugo$oul" Possessor.
    My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
      Awesome. Just in time for my next "Hugo$oul" Possessor.
      Can't be long until Hugo$oul 2011, surely
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• debo
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

rip rockets
        Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Patashu
          Knight
          • Jan 2008

Hugo$oul would be an amazing rapper name, I'm just saying
          My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
            Veteran
            • Jan 2012

I think Hugo$oul would be an awesome DJ name.

BTW,
            I upgraded my "Clunk-Clunk" Cyberdemon dude to v3.1.0 without a hitch with ABSOLUTELY NO decreases in melee or rocket damage!

Looks like v3.1.0 Cyberdemon characters are still viable.

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

Comment

• debo
              Veteran
              • Oct 2011

I just built 3.1.whatever and I'm getting a parse error on startup when it tries to read a_info.txt:

Code:
              Error 1 at line 235 of 'a_info.txt'.
              Record 16 contains a 'parse error' error. Parsing 'P:0:0d0:20:20:0'.
              I'm looking into it now, but that's the record for Crimson and it has an x0.00 thingie (guessing this has something to do with edit file changes made for multipliers)

EDIT: nvm I think it has a local copy of my 3.0.x a_info -- checking

EDIT2: Interesting, `make install` isn't copying edit files over to my local install directory. Not sure if makefile changed or if I was supposed to configure again.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                Veteran
                • Jan 2012

Bug:
                I took my v3.1.0 Cyberdemon into Angband and Anti-magic cave and [nothing] happens when "dungeon trembles" ...not that I'm complaining.

Comment

• Nivim
                  Apprentice
                  • Jan 2014

Flost Bland ruined.

Also, thanks for fixing mine. I don't know if it was tiredness or unfamiliarity (I have never gone to or examined the arena dungeon).
                  The "min_level = 1" part was to prevent this thing where if you enter 0 while in Angband you end up in a place that mostly acts like the wilderness except there's an upstaircase to wilderness level 0 there. I'm guessing this niggling bit should be fixed in the levelport code instead?

Can Deathswords actually get extra dice essences? I see an entry for it, but I've never seen it happen, on my own or in dumps.

Finally, thanks you for doing what you can to make debug/wizard mode less of a pain.

(Ok P.S. did you change rockets depth partly by changing the depth of all devices?)

Comment

• CrabTaco
                    Rookie
                    • Jan 2014

Cool! Still playing my ninja, i am not sure any of these changes affect her much.

A quick question that I am unclear on. I have been trolling through the ladder a lot trying to pick up tips on ninjas. I have seen several comments like this one:

I tried desperately to boost my Wisdom, conquering as many dungeons as I could stomach. Finally, I figured I'd just sell all my loot as is and see what I could scrounge together. I couldn't quite get enough gold for Monkey Cudgel but did manage just enough for Julian:

The Falcon Sword of Julian (2d7) (+8,+16) (+2 attacks) {WiSlSrDg;Bs|AEP/XU/*}
                    Chris (or anyone ), what do you mean by I couldn't quite get enough gold for Monkey Cudgel? Are you reforging? Or buying somewhere I don't know about?

I just spent 200k on my first reforge, and the results were not very exciting. I ended up with:
                    The Dagger of Merry (1d4) (+11, +7) (+3) {StCh}

Here is my latest ladder in case anyone else has suggestions:

Comment

• debo
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2011

Title screen still says

Code:
                      **         PosChengband 3.0.4         **
                      FYI

Comment

• chris
                        PosChengband Maintainer
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by debo
                        Title screen still says

Code:
                        **         PosChengband 3.0.4         **
                        FYI
                        Your files are definitely not updating correctly. Compare https://github.com/poschengband/posc.../file/news.txt.

Nick did the Linux build system (and Mac, too). Nick, can you help with why make install does not seem to be updating edit/* and files/* (and perhaps others)?

Comment

• debo
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by chris
                          Your files are definitely not updating correctly. Compare https://github.com/poschengband/posc.../file/news.txt.

Nick did the Linux build system (and Mac, too). Nick, can you help with why make install does not seem to be updating edit/* and files/* (and perhaps others)?
                          It's no big deal. It seemed to move them properly when I built the first time in 3.0.4, this is the first time I've had this problem. Didn't realize that first page was also an external static resource, I thought it was a cstring somewhere.

Comment

• debo
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2011

Hi,

Why is it that my quest reward is deleted off the square if I accidentally request my next job before picking it up? I just lost my rod of detection from the vapor quest because I pushed 'get' on it, but didn't realize my inventory was full. I popped right back in the door, oblivious, requested the next thing, and then poof! there goes the rod.

Comment

• Nivim
                              Apprentice
                              • Jan 2014

Sadly, I think that can happen every single time you go into a building for all items; I've lost stuff going into my house and a store, so I just generally don't leave anything on the ground anymore that I care about.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎