• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Psi
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Fendell Orcbane
    Goblin drums soundoom...Doom...

What level is this? Also with theme levels are you more likely to get better drops? Sadly I fell through a trap door before I could get too far in the level. I was backing away from a group of orcs and an ogre shaman cast a create traps on me: (
    Not better drops per se - though the sheer number of enemies to kill means you will usually find something in the loot. However there are guaranteed good/great items in set positions.

Comment

• buzzkill
      Prophet
      • May 2008

Originally posted by Fendell Orcbane
      Goblin drums soundoom...Doom...

What level is this? Also with theme levels are you more likely to get better drops? Sadly I fell through a trap door before I could get too far in the level. I was backing away from a group of orcs and an ogre shaman cast a create traps on me: (
      One of my favorites. Orcs and trolls and ogres, Oh My. You can almost hear the drums.....
      www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
      My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Adley
        Adept
        • Feb 2010

Oi, a bunny. How cute and cuddly and i could do with a healing potion after teleporting away.
        (mind you, he got the first *hits*. and it was crowded)
        Last edited by Adley; December 20, 2010, 16:13.
        Originally posted by Derakon
        Sadly, every character ever created in Angband was given a magnifying glass by their eccentric uncle for their fifth birthday...

Comment

• Arralen
          Swordsman
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Adley
          Oi, a bunny. How cute and cuddly and i could do with a healing potion after teleporting away.
          (mind you, he got the first *hits*. and it was crowded)
          "The Complainer questions the existence of Vorpal Bunnies in Beleriand."
          No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
          Never. Ever.

Comment

• Bostock
            Swordsman
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
            I'll suggest horizontal underground movement again, but I've done so before and it's never caught your attention. Upon personal review, I'm thinking that it would play a lot like the mountains if done poorly, so maybe it's not such a great idea.

Maybe a few random (hidden/non-obvious/hinted at) dungeons scattered throughout the wilderness. Something like 2d6 levels with an in depth guardian unique at the bottom that would grant an in depth artifact if defeated. Since an artifact is the reward, maybe even make these mini dungeons play Ironman style. You must defeat the guardian or recall to escape. Make it one and done. Once discovered (gained LOS) the dungeon enterance will cease to exist upon exiting the area.

OTOH you already have dungeon only mode, so what's the problem? If one dosen't like wilderness or so much wilderness, play dungeon only, or thrall, or pick a race that starts near a dungeon. If you do like the wilderness, play classic FA. It seems that hairs may be being unnecessarily split here.
            Hi,

Sorry I took so long to respond to this... I got my hackles up at first and decided to wait until I had cooled down a bit.

I *do* like the wilderness, in reasonable amounts, and with a reasonable amount of choice on when I can move on to something else.

I could compare the matter to ice cream... please forgive me the following analogy.

Customer: Waiter, I'd like a hamburger and some ice cream.

[ten minutes later, the waiter arrives with some S&M kit, ties up the customer, and begins force-feeding them ice cream]

Customer [gasping between mouthfuls]: NOT QUITE SO MUCH ICE CREAM PLEASE!

Waiter: What? I thought you knew that eating ice cream in our restaurant means being force-fed it... at least if you order it with a hamburger. You should have known to order a *cheeseburger*[1] with your ice cream.

Customer: [thanking God that the waiter relented a bit in forcefeeding the ice cream once he started talking] B-but...that doesn't even make *sense*! Besides, what if I really want a *hamburger* with my ice cream!

Waiter: No, all the other customers like to be forcefed their icecream when eating a hamburger, so you'll have to accept it too. And look buddy, you could have ordered baclava[2] instead of ice cream! Or pancakes![3]. Look - we gave you lots of options. Just understand you'll be forcefed your ice cream when you order it with a hamburger. Look around you buddy - everybody *else* accepts it!

Customer: FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU--

(Apologies to Nick, who isn't really responsible for this and was more open to changes in his own game than other people - but no offense to you is meant by that, Buzzkill; I just think it's interesting.)

[1]Non-Longbeard
            [2]Dungeon mode
            [3]Thrall mode

(I really do hope and pray I didn't offend anybody with the above, as it's not my goal!)

EDIT: all that said, if there's an issue surrounding High Elves as hinted upthread, it shouldn't be ignored. Can anyone explain in terms understandable to one who's not played High Elves why adding shortcuts would unbalance them?
            Last edited by Bostock; December 23, 2010, 12:11.
            So you ride yourselves over the fields and you make all your animal deals and your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick.

Comment

• buzzkill
              Prophet
              • May 2008

Maybe you should consider eating at a different restaurant rather than trying to get the menu changed. The proprietor seems to be doing pretty well with the current menu. Great hamburgers and all-you-must-eat wilderness.

Originally posted by Bostock
              (Apologies to Nick, who isn't really responsible for this and was more open to changes in his own game than other people - but no offense to you is meant by that, Buzzkill; I just think it's interesting.)
              No harm, no foul. Like most denizens of Angband, I'm partially resist and I'm sometimes completely immune to that (offense) which I breath.

Sorry if that came off as heavy handed (no time to re-write). It's just for fun.
              www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.

Comment

• Bostock
                Swordsman
                • Aug 2007

I generally try to avoid fluff posts like this, but - thanks for that last post, it made me smile.
                Last edited by Bostock; December 23, 2010, 13:33.
                So you ride yourselves over the fields and you make all your animal deals and your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick.

Comment

• Adley
                  Adept
                  • Feb 2010

Is it normal that a mace of chaos (+7;+18) sells for 30k...?
                  Originally posted by Derakon
                  Sadly, every character ever created in Angband was given a magnifying glass by their eccentric uncle for their fifth birthday...

Comment

• LostTemplar
                    Knight
                    • Aug 2009

Is it normal that a mace of chaos (+7;+18) sells for 30k...?
                    Yes, it has base ego cost of 10000.

Comment

• Arralen
                      Swordsman
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by LostTemplar
                      Yes, it has base ego cost of 10000.
                      Which is quite odd, considering that
                      a) it does not bestow many benefits
                      b) the chaotic effects are not necessarily beneficial - and they trigger way to seldom: I used a chaotic sabre for 3 levels in Amon Rudh, and noticed nothing more than maybe 1 teleport away ...

Speaking of odd things: I read a ?_TeleLevel on "Talath Dirnen 22", and went up to "Mountain Top 23" ... and there was only that 10x8, roughly round-oval mountain top, with only thin air around it (no other tops), and no stairs down.
                      As I didn't want to waste another scroll, I jumped down the steep cliff - and got stunned, wounded, grazed. But I had "Boots of Slow Descent" .. I had expected them to save me from stun/graze, if not all damage ?!
                      No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
                      Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Arralen
                        Which is quite odd, considering that
                        a) it does not bestow many benefits
                        b) the chaotic effects are not necessarily beneficial - and they trigger way to seldom: I used a chaotic sabre for 3 levels in Amon Rudh, and noticed nothing more than maybe 1 teleport away ...
                        The big benefit is they are light relative to their dice, which means more blows. Also RChaos is not to be sneezed at.

Speaking of odd things: I read a ?_TeleLevel on "Talath Dirnen 22", and went up to "Mountain Top 23" ... and there was only that 10x8, roughly round-oval mountain top, with only thin air around it (no other tops), and no stairs down.
                        As I didn't want to waste another scroll, I jumped down the steep cliff - and got stunned, wounded, grazed. But I had "Boots of Slow Descent" .. I had expected them to save me from stun/graze, if not all damage ?!
                        There are stairs about half the time

Feather Fall reduces the damage by about half.
                        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• buzzkill
                          Prophet
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by Nick
                          There are stairs about half the time
                          Never, ever have I seen this. Maybe they are always on the portion of the mountain that I don't have access to .

Comment

• Psi
                            Knight
                            • Apr 2007

I've seen them often enough. Not sure if it is still the case, but from a Mountain Top above AR15 I've taken double stairs/shaft down into the Amon Rudh dungeon a few times.

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Psi
                              I've seen them often enough. Not sure if it is still the case, but from a Mountain Top above AR15 I've taken double stairs/shaft down into the Amon Rudh dungeon a few times.
                              Cool, I didn't realise that could happen.

@buzzkill - if there are stairs, they are always on the bit of mountain the character is on.
                              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• LostTemplar
                                Knight
                                • Aug 2009

IMHO chaos weapons are allmost not worth to use in fight due to chaotic effects, that are more bad then good, maybe except desperate Morgoth fighting for a chance to turn him into yeek, but Nick loves them, so they will stay here and will cost a lot. I only use them as a swap against chaos hounds, due to resist and no special bad effects.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎