Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

There are still autobuilding problems for Windows; here is the latest nightly built for Windows.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• luneya
      Swordsman
      • Aug 2015

In build 81dfed316, upon reading an unidentified scroll of identify rune, with only one such scroll in inventory, and no unidentified runes being present, the resulting message sequence is a bit wonky:

You have nothing to identify.
      You have a Scroll titled "adario haciam" (k).
      You have no more Scrolls of Identify Rune (k).
      You re-arrange your pack.

Note that this wonkiness is purely a messaging bug. The actual results are what they should be: a single scroll of identify rune, use-id'd and returned to my pack (now in slot h, but that's reasonable, as the re-arrange message did come last).

Comment

• Eric
        Rookie
        • Oct 2019

Double-moved at 1.0 speed by a Soldier?

Just spun up a druid in
        4.2.1-52-g19839134
        (not sure which build hash; I ran a git pull, make && make install this morning though).
        Working down through early levels, ran into a few soldiers near the stairs, was very carefully watching moves & speed since Rethoth is pretty squishy right now, when I apparently got double-moved. Not full, no speed effects on me, not stunned, but the Soldier got 4 swings in instead of 2 after my 1 swing (bottom pane of screenshot, unfortunately got an illegal command in there, previous message was me hitting the soldier).

I've got a savefile (immediately after that screenshot) if that helps any, but it's also quite likely I just missed something.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Sideways
          Knight
          • Nov 2008

Non-unique monsters generate with slightly random speeds, so you might have rolled a soldier with +1 speed.
          The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• Sphara
            Knight
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Sideways
            Non-unique monsters generate with slightly random speeds, so you might have rolled a soldier with +1 speed.
            This is useful to know. I knew there was some kind of randomization but never bothered to ask about it here.
            So this is how every gelatinous cube is generated in my games

Comment

• Cuboideb
              Adept
              • May 2020

This applies for blood falcons when playing a spellcaster?

Comment

• Eric
                Rookie
                • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Sideways
                Cool, thanks! Is there a way to check what speed those non-uniques have (like -Probe)?

Comment

• Sideways
                  Knight
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Eric
                  Cool, thanks! Is there a way to check what speed those non-uniques have (like -Probe)?
                  Probe works in some variants, I think there's no way to do it in V though.
                  The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Latest build for macOS is on the nightlies page, for Windows here, source here, and updated on angband.live. Many fixes, and several of the changes discussed elsewhere are included. Remaining known bugs are listed here, please let me know if any others are unfixed.

Since this fixes a few bugs that were causing crashes (notably in Single Combat), I am planning to release 4.2.2 once everything obvious is fixed.

Comment

• DavidMedley
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2019

4.2.2 came a lot faster than I expected. I really wanted to fix the Leap into Battle exploit, if no one else has yet.
                      Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by DavidMedley
                        I really wanted to fix the Leap into Battle exploit, if no one else has yet.
                        That got done here.

EDIT: As for 4.2.2 coming out quickly, the only reasons are that there were nasty crash bugs in Single Combat that I don't like being in the official version, and version numbers are cheap. It is unlikely to be the last 4.2.x, but I'll still try and make it as complete as possible.
                        Last edited by Nick; August 15, 2020, 07:59. Reason: Further explanation

Comment

• DavidMedley
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2019

Sounds great!!!

(Especially the part where someone else did the work to fix my embarrassing error)
                          Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• DavidMedley
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2019

I love the "on hit apply effect" change! Pretty serious nerf to these spells, though, without any compensation.

Stating the obvious here: Maim used to average 8 turns of stun. Now for CL 15-29 it's only 3 times maybe 75%. For CL 45+ it averages 9 times the hit percentage.

Each hit applying the effect was one of my options for this spell, but I think it's hard to scale it properly now that I see this implementation. It'll either be too weak early or too strong late. I think a better choice would be "if any of these blows hit then the monster is stunned for X turns." And I still like the wand duration of 1d5+5. I also like using 6s and 13s for thematic reasons. If the duration needs to be cut then we could use one of these like 1d13 or 1d6+2.

I'll have to try it out to have an informed opinion. If you green light it, Nick, I can make and test alterations along these lines, especially after you've done the hard work of programming it!
                            Last edited by DavidMedley; August 16, 2020, 01:04.

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by DavidMedley
                              I love the "on hit apply effect" change! Pretty serious nerf to these spells, though, without any compensation.

Stating the obvious here: Maim used to average 8 turns of stun. Now for CL 15-29 it's only 3 times maybe 75%. For CL 45+ it averages 9 times the hit percentage.

Each hit applying the effect was one of my options for this spell, but I think it's hard to scale it properly now that I see this implementation. It'll either be too weak early or too strong late. I think a better choice would be "if any of these blows hit then the monster is stunned for X turns." And I still like the wand duration of 1d5+5. I also like using 6s and 13s for thematic reasons. If the duration needs to be cut then we child use one of these like 1d13 or 1d6+2.

I'll have to try it out to have an informed opinion. If you green light it, Nick, I can make and test alterations along these lines, especially after you've done the hard work of programming it!
                              Sure, try it out and see how it goes. It'll probably be at least a week or two before I'm organised enough to get 4.2.2 actually out (as well as the listed bugs, I want to have a bit of a look at randarts).

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                                Veteran
                                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Nick
                                Latest build for macOS is on the nightlies page, for Windows here, source here, and updated on angband.live. Many fixes, and several of the changes discussed elsewhere are included. Remaining known bugs are listed here, please let me know if any others are unfixed.

Since this fixes a few bugs that were causing crashes (notably in Single Combat), I am planning to release 4.2.2 once everything obvious is fixed.
                                I wish you had listed what the "several changes discussed elsewhere" were. I had to discover the hard way that quaffing CSW or CCW was killing my ironman character with hunger. Personally, I find this latest change to the hunger mechanic completed f*ckd.
                                “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                                ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎