Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tangar
    Veteran
    • Mar 2015

Yet another good thing about David Gervais tileset that it's under 'Creative Commons licence': http://pousse.rapiere.free.fr/tome/

You are free to to copy, distribute and transmit those tiles as long as you credit David Gervais as their creator.
    So it's kinda 'open-source' approach which suits Angband.

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
    Shockbolt tile set (updated):

Note: it now comes in 32x32 and 64x64 formats!
    AFAIU it's different tileset, it's ToME one (or I mistaken?); current Angband tileset (which included to Angband package) got a lot of Gervais tiles in it which make it look not so fun (mixed style of tiles). Is it just outdated or it's different version? Also is Shockbolt allows to modify his tiles?
    Last edited by tangar; January 30, 2019, 10:50.
    https://tangaria.com - Angband multiplayer variant
    tangaria.com/variants - Angband variants table
    tangar.info - my website ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽
    youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English ⍽ youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
      Shockbolt tile set (updated):

Note: it now comes in 32x32 and 64x64 formats!

The only drawback is that many useful tiles that could have been added (see: http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpos...&postcount=799) didn't make it into the regular tileset because they were "paid for" tiles and therefore copyrighted.
      I suspect that the NPP ones weren't paid for, but it would be good to clarify what we could use and what we can't.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• MattB
        Veteran
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by tangar
        Also is Shockbolt allows to modify his tiles?
        Shockbolt is quite clear on that. Which is absolutely fair, it's his livelihood. And he's a genius.

The Shockbolt Angband 64x64/128x64 tileset is copyright (C) Raymond Gaustadnes 2012. It can be found in the file lib/tiles/shockbolt/64x64.png.
        Permission is granted to: • use the tileset with in-development and released versions of Angband • distributeandmakecopiesofthetilesetwithin-developmentandreleasedversionsof Angband, as long as no fee is charged for it • incorporatetilesdesignedbytheauthorforvariantsofAn gbandanduseanddistribute them with Angband under the terms above
        Permission is not granted to: • modify the tileset without the author’s permission. • incorporate tiles designed for ToME that do not appear in the Angband tileset. • use or distribute the tileset with other games or projects. If you want to use and distributethetilesetwithothergamesorprojects,youmu stobtainexplicitpermission from the author. Non-commercial games or projects may be granted permission to use them, and if so, use will be allowed as long as the game or project remains non-commercial. To use them in commercial games, a non-exclusive licence must be acquired from the author.

Comment

• MattB
          Veteran
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Nick
          I mean that every time a new object, monster, trap or terrain feature is introduced, I have these choices:
          1. Leave it without tiles
          2. Search through the tilesets in the hope that there is an appropriate tile I can use
          3. Make new tiles for it (or hope someone else does)
          and I'm not very happy with any of them.

So far I've gone with option 2 when a monster is renamed or replaced by something roughly equivalent, and otherwise option 1. So I'm constrained in the sense that introducing new stuff means breaking tiles further, and they'll then have to either remain broken, or be fixed by someone.
          Well anyone can recolour an existing tile, see attached (that's me recolouring a Shockbolt, sorry), and it strikes me that a simple change of colour in e.g. tunic would solve the problem in most cases. The problem lies in what can and cannot be altered under its license.
          If you wanted me to recolour tiles I'd be happy to do so, as long as we were sure we weren't infringing anything.

EDIT: Well, now I'm confused...
          That same book tile exists in the Gervais set, so maybe it's not Shockbolt after all?
          Attached Files

Comment

• PowerWyrm
            Prophet
            • Apr 2008

The current Shockbolt tileset (the one from the post above) only contains tiles made by Shockbolt himself. The old tileset (the one from /lib/tiles in current V) is an outdated one which still contains old Gervais tiles (since it was the base Shockbolt used for his work at first).
            PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• tangar
              Veteran
              • Mar 2015

I see, thanks.

Still I can not understand why people prefer Shockbolt over Gervais. Shockbolt is a great artist, but his Angband tiles doesn't have enough contrast, it's hard to distinct one monster from another. At the same time Gervais monsters are bright and sharp; they looks oldschool fantasy style, very easy to remember who is who. It's easy enough to rezise Gervais tileset to 64x64 if needed - they won't loose their beauty. And we (community, V-devs and variant's maintainers) could do with them whatever we like without any risk.

Matt, yep, this book from Gervais
              Last edited by tangar; January 31, 2019, 12:47.
              youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English ⍽ youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                Prophet
                • Apr 2008

The problem with Gervais tileset is that it's D&D generic. Many tiles don't correspond to anything at all. Some uniques especially have silly tiles (Lorgan for example looks like Dr Zerg from Futurama).
                PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• tangar
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2015

AFAIA it's not made for DnD game, Gervais drawn his tileset especially for ToME (aka Angband): http://pousse.rapiere.free.fr/
                  so it's fits to the game spirit perfectly.

I believe Gervais made the best tileset which could be ever created for open-source roguelike game. It looks better then a lot of commercial artwork. For me, the only tileset which could be close to it is ADOM graphics.

But Gervais made it 15 years ago and of course a lot of rearrangements should be done. I agree that some tiles need rework or even replacement.

Comment

• MattB
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2013

Staff of darkness does not produce a dark spot in the town.
                    But maybe that's intended...
                    [device skill of half trollwarrior] vs [sun]

Comment

• MattB
                      Veteran
                      • Mar 2013

Not a biggie, but...
                      According to my character screen, my elvenkind armour I'm wearing may have ESP. Although it obviously doesn't.
                      :-)

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2009

Still I can not understand why people prefer Shockbolt over Gervais. Shockbolt is a great artist, but his Angband tiles doesn't have enough contrast, it's hard to distinct one monster from another.
                        I doubt you meant it to be rude, but if I were Shockbolt I'd find this comment pretty offensive. Personally, I stick with the plain ASCII because I play on a laptop. I've played quite a lot on Gervais when I had a regular size computer screen, however, if I were fortunate enough to have a large monitor then I would play Shockbolt tiles, hands down. They are gorgeous!
                        “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                        ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• tangar
                          Veteran
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                          I doubt you meant it to be rude, but if I were Shockbolt I'd find this comment pretty offensive.
                          I'm sorry if I hurt someones feelings, but what's rude or offencive in sharing an opinion about gameplay experience with different tileset? As I said:
                          Shockbolt is a great artist
                          ..and his tilset for ToME is marvelous. But Angband is more playable with Gervais; at least at current state, while Angband using his old tileset which mixed with Gervais tiles and looks pretty weird.

All what I say is my IMHO, there are a lot of people who wouldn't agree with me

I myself created open-source 1-bit tileset (btw, it's completely free, anyone are free to use it without any obligations): http://tangar.info/en/t/tileset and I don't expect that everyone would like it, no matter how much hundreds of hours I've spend to create it

Comment

• MattB
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by MattB
                            I’m happy/excited/impressed by most of the changes. But here’s a few preliminary worries...

Whip sounded awesome, until I realised you’d sneakily buffed Balrogs. I bloody HATE Balrogs! Then I read further and you buffed then again!! Argh!!!
                            *&%*'s sake...

> Some of your Arrows (0) were destroyed!
                            > The lesser Balrog resists a lot.
                            > The lesser Balrog breathes fire.
                            > Low hitpoint warning!
                            > *** LOW HITPOINT WARNING! ***
                            > One of your Arrows (0) was destroyed!
                            > The lesser Balrog sets off a blinding flash.
                            > You repel a sudden bleariness.
                            > You resist the effect!
                            > The lesser Balrog breathes fire.
                            > You die.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                              Prophet
                              • Apr 2007

Why are you fighting them at all? Unless you have double fire resist and can kill them quickly at a distance, they are a sure net negative to fight. Making them stronger changes very little.

Comment

• MattB
                                Veteran
                                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                                Why are you fighting them at all?.
                                I wasn’t fighting them!!!
                                I set off a trap on level 45 (latest feature branch) and summoned 4 Balrogs, a Glabrezu and a Gelugon. I panicked and took a step back. That one step was as far as I got, lol.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎