X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bron
    Knight
    • May 2008

A couple of issues I noted while playing in the current competition:

1) I had a randart with the CURE_MIND activation. The printed description say is restores 10 SP, but in fact it restores 20 SP. Either the description or the activation should be changed so that they match.

2) I found a randart ring that grants "+2 shots". But when I wield it and look at the character description, it says that my character gets "Shots 1.2/turn". Testing this, I can't say for sure that I'm getting 1.2 shots/turn, but I'm definitely NOT getting 3 shots/turn. Intrinsically, I've got nothing against fractional shots, but I'm thinking that this is a bug, not a feature ?

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by bron
      1) I had a randart with the CURE_MIND activation. The printed description say is restores 10 SP, but in fact it restores 20 SP. Either the description or the activation should be changed so that they match.
      Thanks.

Originally posted by bron
      2) I found a randart ring that grants "+2 shots". But when I wield it and look at the character description, it says that my character gets "Shots 1.2/turn". Testing this, I can't say for sure that I'm getting 1.2 shots/turn, but I'm definitely NOT getting 3 shots/turn. Intrinsically, I've got nothing against fractional shots, but I'm thinking that this is a bug, not a feature ?
      No, it's a feature. +10 shots now means 1 extra shot. Extra shots got nerfed in a big way; possibly too much.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Tap Magical Energy currently crashes the game if used at full mana. Fix in development, and will be in the next build.

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Nick
          No, it's a feature. +10 shots now means 1 extra shot. Extra shots got nerfed in a big way; possibly too much.
          The bug is that the description is now misleading by a factor of 10.

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

Nick: suggestion for extra shots: figure out how much damage you want rangers to mete out in the final fight under optimal and usual conditions (using standarts.) Then scale extra shots accordingly. I would suggest making it roughly 500 dpr with Wounding ammo, and 650 with Holy Might ammo.

Rationale:
            * Rangers don't have a lot more HP than mages, but have significantly worse spellcasting. So they should do significantly more damage than a mage with Annihilation (a bit more than 400 dam/turn.)
            * Rangers have significantly less HP than warriors, and their spellcasting in the endgame gives them only a few real advantages.
            * In Tolkien, it was a ranger who killed Smaug with one (artifact) arrow.

And yes, this will potentially give nearly the same dam/turn for any class with a good sling of Buckland. But those are (a) very rare and (b) hard to find high-end ammo for.

Comment

• bron
              Knight
              • May 2008

Originally posted by Derakon
              The bug is that the description is now misleading by a factor of 10.
              Yes. The description should be changed to something like "+20% of an additional shot" rather than "+2 shots" (assuming multiple items simply add linearly).

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                Prophet
                • Apr 2008

I have a bastard sword that activates for teleport "randomly about 606f the largest distance you could go"...
                PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Voovus
                  Adept
                  • Feb 2018

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                  I have a bastard sword that activates for teleport "randomly about 606f the largest distance you could go"...
                  Colannon Cloak effect (which also has "606f the largest distance").

Comment

• wobbly
                    Prophet
                    • May 2012

So half-troll priest is still amazing & I'm only up to the 3rd book so far.

Edit: Can we display the weight on weapons & armour at the characters feet?
                    Last edited by wobbly; June 5, 2018, 01:31.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2007

There are two or three priest spells that matter: detection (PB6) and Heal300 (PB4.) Orb is good in until your melee catches up with damage. And TO with zero fail is good. But unlimited heal is just crazy good.

Comment

• Huqhox
                        Adept
                        • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                        There are two or three priest spells that matter: detection (PB6) and Heal300 (PB4.) Orb is good in until your melee catches up with damage. And TO with zero fail is good. But unlimited heal is just crazy good.
                        Orb is great for hitting stuff out of LOS. Q's (especially Emperor Q) become relatively easy with it once you know where they are, and death molds (and jelly pits in general) are a breeze.

The GV Hell Pit is also terrific fun as a priest, you can just fire OOD into the far end and take most things out before they can get into range to retaliate

It's something that makes other classes (including mages) quite a pain because apart from ball effect spells (that potentially damage floor items) LOS is required (excepting when you can hit stuff with the not in LOS but the square behind is exploit, which isn't a common situation) and one of the things that makes Priest easily the most fun to play, IMO
                        "This has not been a recording"

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2008

Uh oh...

Code:
                          c) a Carnelian Ring of Speed <+6> {cursed, ??}
                               Found lying on the floor of a cavern at 3750 feet (level 75)

You do not know the full extent of this item's powers.
                               It paralyses you every now and then.
                               +6 speed.
                          I'm playing with "Know every rune" birth option, so I should know all properties here. If I try to read a scroll of *Remove Curse*, the game closes/crashes.
                          PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                            Uh oh...

Code:
                            c) a Carnelian Ring of Speed <+6> {cursed, ??}
                                 Found lying on the floor of a cavern at 3750 feet (level 75)

You do not know the full extent of this item's powers.
                                 It paralyses you every now and then.
                                 +6 speed.
                            I'm playing with "Know every rune" birth option, so I should know all properties here. If I try to read a scroll of *Remove Curse*, the game closes/crashes.
                            Do you have a save file?

Comment

• wobbly
                              Prophet
                              • May 2012

Played the priest & it seemed still good, unfortunately mucked up before getting all the books for a closer look, but certainly played mostly the same up to where I got. Just moved mapping onto a staff.

Going to have another go with the druid, hopefully get far enough for some coments, but first what is the rational with the different book pricing? This mostly matters for ironman or otherwise starting without ?recall. A priest gets the 2nd book & orb which is good, it'd be painfull without. A druid is fairly hard pressed to buy the 2nd & still have enough for an ironman start. I think it would be reasonable to get access to the 2nd book & the mapping spells. Haven't looked at mages or necromancers to comment.

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by wobbly
                                what is the rational with the different book pricing?
                                Carelessness and inconsistency on the part of the maintainer

One of the things I'm hoping to get from this comp is feedback on the book prices and dungeon/town - I already think the 3rd mage book probably should be a town book.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎