X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TJS
    Swordsman
    • May 2008

Originally posted by debo
    If you have decent con and a big weapon, you can often kill shadow molds in a couple of hits. If you get a bad first hit, back off and rest up before trying again. Charge makes this easier - even power will help.
    I'd just had my constitution drained to 1 by being confused by a brown mould that was right next to a purple one. When I tried to move away from the mould I walked next to the purple one.

Yes, there always is the stair/shaft you came from.

And try longbows.
    The stairs weren't there, I think they must have collapsed or something (I fell into the level). I was just in a single room with every exit corridor blocked by dark moulds. Just one of those unlucky situations I guess.

Comment

• debo
      Veteran
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Scatha
      In this case the evasion penalty won't matter, of course.

I think the spores are also a darkness attack, so you get resistance according to the level of light on your square.
      I'm pretty sure there's still a bug with shadow mold damage that causes it to do full damage regardless of light level?
      Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• taptap
        Knight
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by TJS
        I'd just had my constitution drained to 1 by being confused by a brown mould that was right next to a purple one. When I tried to move away from the mould I walked next to the purple one.

The stairs weren't there, I think they must have collapsed or something (I fell into the level). I was just in a single room with every exit corridor blocked by dark moulds. Just one of those unlucky situations I guess.
        Mold interaction rocks. Their only chance to do something.

Stairs: Well, that happens and counts as bad luck. Yet, if you use the stairs rarely - they tend to be available when you need them, i.e. they only / more often (?) collapse when you have used them (several times) within a time limit, but I don't know the details.

Comment

• half
          Knight
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by taptap
          Mold interaction rocks. Their only chance to do something.
          Yeah, I have to say that I'm impressed by this brown/violet/shadow mold tag-team. Humblest of Morgoth's creations (?) they live for moments like these.

TJS: that is a really unlucky situation. There might have been some things to do to avoid it or escape it, but it is pretty unlucky to be in it in the first place.

Comment

• Patashu
            Knight
            • Jan 2008

Song of the Trees can give you a good boost to light level (I think it's song/3 or song/4 or song/5 or something like that) and if your song is good enough will help more than inner light.
            My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

Your talk of molds reminded me of this

You are on something strange

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                Veteran
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
                Your talk of molds reminded me of this

http://angband.calamarain.net/view.php?date=2009-06-03
                That Angband comic is priceless!
                My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• wobbly
                  Prophet
                  • May 2012

Damn it! Was trapped by an out of control violet worm mass & had the bright idea of changing to a 2hnder to thin them out quicker. Well it worked, but my shield "disappeared" from pack overflow & shortly afterwards I was turned into a pincushion by a bunch of archers. So not a big fan of non-stackable items right now.

A question is strength sustain guaranteed? or is it just a bonus to will checks?

Comment

• taptap
                    Knight
                    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by wobbly
                    Damn it! Was trapped by an out of control violet worm mass & had the bright idea of changing to a 2hnder to thin them out quicker. Well it worked, but my shield "disappeared" from pack overflow & shortly afterwards I was turned into a pincushion by a bunch of archers. So not a big fan of non-stackable items right now.

A question is strength sustain guaranteed? or is it just a bonus to will checks?
                    As far as I know all sustains and resists are a bonus of 10 to saving rolls as is Vanish, Free Action etc., BUT this 10 is huge when you roll with d10. From 50% failure chance (i.e. when your will equals that of your opponent) to guaranteed success.

Comment

• BlueFish
                      Swordsman
                      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by wobbly
                      I really wish two handed weapons just disabled the shield rather than un-wielded it.

Comment

• taptap
                        Knight
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by BlueFish
                        I really wish two handed weapons just disabled the shield rather than un-wielded it.
                        This would produce some interface issues with 1.5 handed weapons, I guess. Or at least require a new command.

Comment

• BlueFish
                          Swordsman
                          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by taptap
                          This would produce some interface issues with 1.5 handed weapons, I guess. Or at least require a new command.
                          No issue and no new command needed, unless you think it's an issue that 1.5 handed weapons worked exactly as they always have. They would not disable shields.

The practical difficulty of 2h weapons un-wielding shields is generally with diggers. I "fixed" this in my personal version by making then 1.5 handed, and I rarely notice this anymore. I also reduced their damage to 1d1 just for "ethical" reasons. Not that I ever fought with mattocks to begin with.

Comment

• BlueFish
                            Swordsman
                            • Aug 2011

What's the mechanic for climbing out of pits? This was a promising character, one of the few I've managed for this build. Got to 500 ft. He has 1 dex, but had free action boots. What can a character do to try to stave off 7 straight failures to climb out of a pit?

He ended up dying there, after exhausting his healing consumables and never getting another chance to try to climb out.

I really don't like the maluses that pits hit you with in this game. The "bear trap" aspect where you can't move is enough. Halving your combat ability is a bit over the top.

Comment

• Philip
                              Knight
                              • Jul 2009

I always thought it was a strength roll, and I think boots of free action don't help. I don't know, though.

Comment

• BlueFish
                                Swordsman
                                • Aug 2011

Strength is used for webs, as is free action. Not sure about pits, but I know it's not strength. This was a 4 strength character.

I think it would make some game design sense to give a bonus to escape attempts for every failed attempt. Instadeath, even if carried out over 7 straight skill check failures, isn't fun.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎