X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • taptap
    Knight
    • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Psi
    I can't believe it is almost a year since the last Sil present opening!
    Dear Ainur, Valar or whoever grants the wishes, I wish for Aeglos or Ringil

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

I have some challenges I would like to do, but I will need to learn how to code, I imagine.

#1. After reading Psi's terrible luck with the dice on a recent RIP character, A backwards sil-curse would be interesting. That is, the monsters all make double rolls and take the better one. And then, if that proves a winner, 3 rolls, 4 rolls, etc...

#2. Constant hallucination.

#3. Constant rage.

What, exactly, is the very starting point I would need. Do I need to download a program? What file, or files, do I need to be looking at? I have played roguelikes for 20 years, and I have never looked at the code. NEVER. So, assume nothing. I don't want to learn coding from the ground up, I just want to look at the game, try to understand how it works, and poke around.
      You are on something strange

Comment

• Antoine
        Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
        • Nov 2007

HM is learning to code!!

Hint #1: Don't try to code an entire program using a mattock, you will break your computer

A.
        Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

Antoine! Hey you come back. What is code for Quickband? I don't understand even the most basic concept. Is it the quickband.exe file itself? What do I need to look inside it? Or, is it some other concept?

Comment

• Antoine
            • Nov 2007

You can't read the .exe file, you want to look at the code instead.

I don't know whether you have a binary-only version of Quickband or whether you have the source as well. In your quickband directory, do you have a subdirectory called 'src'? If so, the code is in there in .c and .h files (which you can read in a text editor). If not, you have a binary-only version and we will arrange for you to get source.

A.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

Okay, thanks Antoine. So, code is in a src directory with .c and .h files. I will look! Thanks... I'm not kidding... people say go look in the code... I've never known how and never needed to until now.

Comment

• Antoine
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
                Okay, thanks Antoine. So, code is in a src directory with .c and .h files. I will look! Thanks... I'm not kidding... people say go look in the code... I've never known how and never needed to until now.
                At this stage focus on the .c rather than the .h. You'll notice there are a lot of .c files, each covering a different aspect of the code. Some may be in subdirectories.

Usually the best way to navigate through the code is to use a text editor that allows you to search across multiple files. I use Textpad (which is freely downloadable). For instance, if you want to find bits of the code that relate to hallucination, do a search on the word 'hallucinate' or better just 'hallu'.

A.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

Ah, thanks again Antoine. This stuff is fascinating! I can see the seduction of it all.

I think I found what I want to make as my first edit... a really ugly, yet easy first edit... but, I will need to download something called 'cygwin'... or something like that, to compile whatever edits I make, and then if that doesn't foul up... run the executable it makes. But later... changing the hallu time of herb of visions from 80d4 turns to 99d99 turns in obj-use seems like an easy first stab at mucking around with code. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

• Antoine
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
                    Ah, thanks again Antoine. This stuff is fascinating! I can see the seduction of it all.

I think I found what I want to make as my first edit... a really ugly, yet easy first edit... but, I will need to download something called 'cygwin'... or something like that, to compile whatever edits I make, and then if that doesn't foul up... run the executable it makes. But later... changing the hallu time of herb of visions from 80d4 turns to 99d99 turns in obj-use seems like an easy first stab at mucking around with code. I'll let you know how it goes.
                    Hi

As a first step, can I suggest that you (a) make the change you want, (b) email the changed file to a person that routinely compiles the Sil code, and (c) get them to compile it for you and return a new executable.

Running a compiler can be a little bit intimidating and perhaps you don't want to contend with that quite yet.

A.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

If I screw it up I'll give that a shot... but I don't want to bother people. What I really needed was that first shove which you supplied. Now that I have an idea of where and what I feel like I can go on this momentum at least a little while.

Do I have to beat your variant with a shovel now?

Comment

• Antoine
                        • Nov 2007

If you have trouble with the whole download cygwin / run cygwin thing, sing out. There will be people here who can help you. I don't use cygwin myself.

A.

Comment

• taptap
                          Knight
                          • Jan 2013

Sil variants in the making ...

Comment

• Patashu
                            Knight
                            • Jan 2008

What IDE do the Sil devs use? Visual Studio (insert version here)? Code::Blocks? Other?
                            My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• debo
                              Veteran
                              • Oct 2011

I'm pretty sure half uses xcode.
                              Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Patashu
                                Knight
                                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by debo
                                I'm pretty sure half uses xcode.
                                Oh, that's no good <.< Does it compile in anything else?
                                My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎