Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HallucinationMushroom
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Awesome! I hope you guys bring home the bacon, it'll be fun watching.

As far as abilities through items, I've wrestled with this too, but only theoretically, since I never found an ability item. That could be because most of my attempts were artifactless, haha. I think as far as I'm concerned abilities from items are ok. I used to try a lot of weird challenges like this to help learn the game, and this one really highlights just how powerful some of the abilities we take for granted are. The axe of singing the slaying song would be a great find, or the helmet of identify everything, or the vanish cloak, and I'm sure a whole host of others.

Feel free to tweak however you want to run it.

Also of note was in 1.0.2, paralyzation was a bigger fear. I think they hadn't nerfed the auto-trance-your-doomed at that point, so these characters are probably a little will heavy. Anyway, my best tries at this back to when I consider I was playing my best... I can't seem to win a no-challenges easy-Feanor anymore.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=12951 800' My best, I think
    http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=12921 650'
    http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=12940 900'

Or, the tl;dr, pulled from my best Fingolfin character... Hmm, oh well. My best to date, and I didn't feel too out of place where I died. This build is pretty good. 2/4/5/3, with a 7/5/3/1 start with ev/me/pe/wi. Put a point in each starting with evasion until pe and wi reach a strong bonus.
    You are on something strange

Comment

• Psi
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

When do you aim for on perception and wisdom? I'm not sure whether to push them any further or not.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

I think I was gunning for around +12-15 for Will to have a decent check vs. fear/paralyze against those nasty spiders at the end and dragons, but I don't know the numbers enough to know if that is too much or too little... only that +12 doesn't seem to terribly expensive.

I learned that it takes a gigantic amount of perception, without keen senses, to reliably detect invisibles. I mainly took perception to dodge trap floors and detect doors for early ironman play.

With artifacts, Curufin would take care of my most stressful worry... darkness monsters and invisible monsters. That would be my number 1 artifact pick, I think.

Comment

• taptap
          Knight
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
          I think I was gunning for around +12-15 for Will to have a decent check vs. fear/paralyze against those nasty spiders at the end and dragons, but I don't know the numbers enough to know if that is too much or too little... only that +12 doesn't seem to terribly expensive.

I learned that it takes a gigantic amount of perception, without keen senses, to reliably detect invisibles. I mainly took perception to dodge trap floors and detect doors for early ironman play.

With artifacts, Curufin would take care of my most stressful worry... darkness monsters and invisible monsters. That would be my number 1 artifact pick, I think.
          It seems I am the one putting most into will and perception. Astonished with how little you get by (without the will it would have been game over against shadow spiders more than once for me).

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

I would probably put less in perception in this version, as trap floors were more common in 1.0.2. I remember saying somewhere that inner light would be the ability I would most want, but now that I've got another year of playing... I'm leaning towards listen. As far as will, I dunno. Now that paralyze isn't insta-death, it's fear that's the big annoyance, and it's easier to just have a barrel of rfear stuff than to buy a ton of will, at least, from my experience. I would defer to your guys' expertise, I tend to play very one sided characters, and from a lack of knowledge on how a lot of the finer mechanics work.

Comment

• Psi
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

Phew. Killed the big guy and made it back out the other side. Good fun... but those darkness creatures are so difficult without keen senses and/or inner light! Nearly killed me several times.

Comment

• taptap
                Knight
                • Jan 2013

Died to Gothmog

It was great fun, however. I guess I will play with less abilities in future - I really like the high skills you get this way.
                Last edited by taptap; October 14, 2013, 15:27.

Comment

• Psi
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

Decided to have another go at the capped skill challenge: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=15074

I really wanted to kill V, so did allow myself to go to 11 points per skill. Also pulled off a dragon horn longbow win for good measure!

I guess another challenge would be the minimum skill cap to kill V. I'd guess that 10 could be possible, but not sure how much lower than that.

Comment

• bron
                    Knight
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by Psi
                    another challenge would be the minimum skill cap to kill V. I'd guess that 10 could be possible, but not sure how much lower than that.

Don't know how much less than 10 you can go and still kill Morgoth: Song of Sharpness makes a huge difference. I know it is possible to *win* with 7 (http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=14486), but I'm thinking that 8 is probably the minimum to kill Morgoth (to be able Forge your own), unless you get really really lucky with artifact finds.

Comment

• Psi
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

Not sure how I missed those! Very nice work indeed.

Comment

• taptap
                        Knight
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by bron
                        http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=14426

Don't know how much less than 10 you can go and still kill Morgoth: Song of Sharpness makes a huge difference. I know it is possible to *win* with 7 (http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=14486), but I'm thinking that 8 is probably the minimum to kill Morgoth (to be able Forge your own), unless you get really really lucky with artifact finds.
                        Saithnar or a similar weapon can make a huge difference as Psi can attest. (He made the no ability challenge that way by killing Morgoth!)

Comment

• debo
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2011

New challenge: Kill V by having Glaurung (or any other great/unique drake) breathe on him for the killing blow.
                          Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• taptap
                            Knight
                            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by debo
                            New challenge: Kill V by having Glaurung (or any other great/unique drake) breathe on him for the killing blow.
                            Collateral damage build

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                              Knight
                              • Apr 2007

I'm looking forward to the Xmas challenge. I wonder how many current regular players know about the awesomeness of being naughty. Or better yet, present scumming!

Comment

• Psi
                                Knight
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
                                I'm looking forward to the Xmas challenge. I wonder how many current regular players know about the awesomeness of being naughty. Or better yet, present scumming!
                                I can't believe it is almost a year since the last Sil present opening!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎