Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HallucinationMushroom
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Perhaps as a song of slaying ceiling, a fraction of max melee/archery? This way, the song is amplifying your natural affinity for warcraft and removes silly situations where you have characters with no investment in archery with obscenely high archery skill. If you had, say, 1/3 as the cap, I usually hit 21 at least with melee and that would be +7, a nice sum without being ridiculous. Or, 1/2, could be +10, while my archery bonus would only be +1 or +2.

I guess it depends on how you envision song of slaying. I imagine a war song that bolsters confidence as I kill, removing doubt and fear. A rfear bonus would be cool here, as there is no rfear currently in the tree, and it seems hard to imagine someone butchering with the song of slaying easily becoming afraid.

Okay, I'll hush now. You were probably talking about sharpness anyway... heh.
    You are on something strange

Comment

• debo
      Veteran
      • Oct 2011

I still claim that the song tree is awkward. There are a lot of cool abilities in the tree, but sharpness is so damn good that I am pretty much always going to take slaying -> sharpness (or aule -> sharpness as a smith).

If you figure that you probably want one of unwavering voice and maybe mixed themes, who is ever going to buy anything but those two songs outside some sort of challenge / thematic build?

Anyhow, this is a minor nitpick. I really don't want slaying to change, it's probably one of the most fun things in the entire game
      Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• debo
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
        Would it be possible to have the crown lower it's protection roll by 1 or more for each attempt to wrest a silmaril... sort of like, chiseling it out? Right now, it's sort of a, it can or can't, where this way you could eventually break it out. I dunno, probably just a dumb thought.
        I actually like this idea a lot -- even if only for the first Sil.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
          Veteran
          • Jan 2012

Would it be possible to have the crown lower it's protection roll by 1 or more for each attempt to wrest a silmaril... sort of like, chiseling it out? Right now, it's sort of a, it can or can't, where this way you could eventually break it out. I dunno, probably just a dumb thought.

Carcharoth should have a chance to bite your hand off at the gates, taking your silmaril with it in his burning belly!
          The first point, I concur as a nice idea. I remember in pre-1.1 days when I had an excruciatingly hard time getting the Sil out without any source of Sharpness. Boy, was that pitiful.

The second point is a really interesting idea and quite thematic as such...Losing the Crown (and its 3 Sils) has a similar effect. *Spoiler*
          My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• bron
            Knight
            • May 2008

Several people make several good points in these threads:

+1 on the idea of lowering the protection roll by one for each attempt at digging out a Silmaril. Right now, without sharpness it is nearly impossible to get a second sil, let alone the third, even if you mange to kill Morgoth and everything else in the Throne Room.

I agree that the Dex point in Stealth is too cheap. But the Dex point in Archery is *way* too cheap. I think both of them should be bumped up to require at least 12 points in the skill. Conversely, I think the Evasion Dex point is too expensive; I think it should be reduced to 15 or 16 or so from the current 20.

As for Song: I admit to not being much of a singer in this game (despite my church choir background), so others may have different experiences. But for me, on the normal levels I really only use Song of Sharpness. I like to use Slaying+Sharpness in the Throne room, but I don't find I use Slaying or Woven Themes anywhere else. Unwavering Voice is nice, and I often take it, but for a melee and/or archery character it isn't particularly critical for me, since the only time I sing for a lengthy sustained period is while in the throne room, and there I've buffed up by quaffing +Grace potions (which increases Voice), and I generally need to use Miruvor once in awhile when being pummeled by the Throne Room Gang, and Miruvor restores Voice. Unwavering Voice certainly helps a Smithing character. I think the suggestion that Song of Slaying should be capped at, say, half or one-third your skill level is a good one, but I'd like to see that change made in conjunction with making the bonus start at +1 (rather than +0 as it is now) and also giving rFear (good thought HM!). It probably should not instantly banish an existing case of fear, but should shorten it's duration and give you resistance to being re-feared.

I'm a terrible stealth player, but I've occasionally found myself taking 6 or 7 points of Stealth in order to get Opportunist and/or Exchange Places, as opposed to actually trying to be stealthy.
            Last edited by bron; June 13, 2013, 01:30.

Comment

• Patashu
              Knight
              • Jan 2008

Since having more than one song doesn't really 'synergize' (as in, all of your abilities in other trees are active all at once, but for songs you can only sing one (or two) max no matter how many you can buy), maybe the exp cost for buying more songs shouldn't ramp up as much/at all?
              My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• Scatha
                Swordsman
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Patashu
                Since having more than one song doesn't really 'synergize' (as in, all of your abilities in other trees are active all at once, but for songs you can only sing one (or two) max no matter how many you can buy), maybe the exp cost for buying more songs shouldn't ramp up as much/at all?
                Extra songs don't synergise in this direct way, but each song is synergistic with a high Song score. I think this indirect synergy should be enough to encourage people who invest heavily in Song for one purpose to branch out and pick up other songs for different situations.

Perhaps part of the problem is that Sharpness, and Woven Themes, are a little bit too good for people who are comparatively dabblers in Song, and hence don't have great incentives to branch out.

Comment

• clouded
                  Swordsman
                  • Jun 2012

A special super long episode is out. What a treat~ I enjoyed it. This guy is looking pretty good, almost good enough to jinx.

Comment

• debo
                    Veteran
                    • Oct 2011

Thanks clouded It was long enough that it took several attempts to upload, hence the delay!

Comment

• WildKhaine
                      Scout
                      • Oct 2012

Sorry debo, gonna steal your thread for a min. If anyone gets bored and wants to watch more Sil, I uploaded a few vids of my Bar6 challenge play-through.

Comment

• debo
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by wildkhaine
                        sorry debo, gonna steal your thread for a min. If anyone gets bored and wants to watch more sil, i uploaded a few vids of my bar6 challenge play-through.
                        omg yes!!!

Comment

• debo
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2011

New episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Z6sBcnc2o

Comment

• Rainmaker
                            Rookie
                            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by debo
                            Ah man, I'm so anxious for the next one. You're about to get to the good part / part I die before I get to.

Comment

• taptap
                              Knight
                              • Jan 2013

I learned that light can scare orcs...
                              Afaik you need more than 3 light on your tile for this to work.

Comment

• debo
                                Veteran
                                • Oct 2011

Crazy idea -- would anyone like me to screencast their own videos/termcasts? I feel like most people in this forum are way better Sil players than I am, but aren't willing to sit there and talk out loud about their play. And it's something I've always wanted to do

If anyone would like to volunteer, I'd be happy to do it. I have some of clouded's termcasts from long ago, for example.

Just throwing it out there!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎