Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • debo
    Veteran
    • Oct 2011

What's the difference between AC in poscheng and AC in vanilla? You die and you die in poscheng unless you have big AC or can avoid meleeing things.
    Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Magnate
      It's much less. Most body armours offer less than 2AC/lb, and other armour pieces rarely more than 4/lb. I think the cap is something like six or ten.

It's interesting that people *still* think that AC is useless.
      AC isn't useless, problem is that in order to make any difference you need to have *really* big bonus to AC. Armor comes from at least six, potentially ten slots (weapon, rings, amulet), so in order to one of them making any difference is much less than in weapons having damage bonus.

Also malus and bonus in AC are quite a different values. -75AC would be very nasty, while +75 doesn't make much difference, because it's just fractional improvement over your other equipment.

If you have 5 * 25 AC (average) then that one having +75 instead of another +25 is just 200/150 = 33% improvement. And +75 is huge bonus.

OTOH in that same scenario -75 would be same as 125-75/150 = 66% drop in AC.

Comment

• Philip
        Knight
        • Jul 2009

Just found the Whip of Galdor off Azog, king of the Uruk-Hai, dlvl 35.
        The stuff I know it has:
        4 INT, tunneling, no other immediate things
        1d3 dice, +5 +28(+28 to_dam is pretty high in the upper regions of standart stuff, at dlvl 35 on a whip it is hilarious)
        slay evil (as if it were necessary)

Certainly remarkable, considering the Glaive of Painish damage bonus, and on a whip it will be beautiful all through statgain.

EDIT: Of course, slay evil only adds ten damage, but it's fun. Total damage output is 180 against normal creatures on my gnome warrior.

EDIT2: It was incredibly handy in killing Bolg

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Philip
          Just found the Whip of Galdor off Azog, king of the Uruk-Hai, dlvl 35.

1d3 dice, +5 +28(+28 to_dam is pretty high in the upper regions of
          slay evil (as if it were necessary)

EDIT: Of course, slay evil only adds ten damage, but it's fun.
          Make that two points (with five blows it is ten). Pretty insignificant bonus.

Comment

• Thraalbee
            Knight
            • Sep 2010

I prefer playing with randarts but in the current comp it's the standard set. But fortunately, ego items are finally almost as interesting as randarts. I mean, I've always wanted to find Doomcaller or Ringil but never did and now when I find Doomcaller I used it only once to kill a Wyrm just for the sake of it. Look at
            Code:
            a) a Mace of Disruption (Holy Avenger) (5d8) (+14,+19) [+2] <+4> {!d!x!v @w1}
                 Found lying on the floor at 4600 feet (level 92).

+4 wisdom.
                 Slays evil creatures, undead, demons.
                 Provides protection from fear.
                 Sustains dexterity.
                 Blessed by the gods.  Grants the ability to see invisible things. 

Combat info:
                 4.0 blows/round.
                 Average damage/round: 419.6 vs. evil creatures, 531.2 vs. undead,
                 531.2 vs. demons, and 308 vs. others.
            .v.s.
            Code:

s) the Blade of Chaos 'Doomcaller' (6d5) (+18,+28) [-50] {FIRST TIME FOUND}
                 Dropped by Maeglin, the Traitor of Gondolin at 5000 feet (level
                 100).

Slays animals, evil creatures, demons, trolls.
                 *Slays* dragons.
                 Branded with frost.
                 Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold, chaos.
                 Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
                 Prevents paralysis.  Grants telepathy.  Grants the ability to see
                 invisible things.  Aggravates creatures nearby.  

Combat info:
                 4.0 blows/round.
                 Average damage/round: 392.8 vs. animals, 392.8 vs. evil creatures,
                 474.8 vs. demons, 474.8 vs. trolls, 474.8 vs. creatures not
                 resistant to cold, 639.2 vs. dragons, and 310.8 vs. others.
            or
            Code:
            b) a Sling of Buckland (x4) (+21,+27) <+4, +2> {+2 SHOTS!}
                 Found lying on the floor in a vault at 5000 feet (level 100).

+4 dexterity.
                 +2 shooting speed, shooting power.
                 Cannot be harmed by acid, fire.
            .v.s.
            Code:
            t) the Long Bow 'Belthronding' (x3) (+20,+22) <+3, +1>
                 Dropped by a Horned Reaper at 4250 feet (level 85).

+3 dexterity.
                 +1 stealth, speed, shooting speed.
                 Provides resistance to disenchantment.

Comment

• krazyhades
              Swordsman
              • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Estie
              the Steel Helm of Carfin [9,+16]: Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold

Havent had any of these before.
              I can do you one better.:
              Code:
              the Two-Handed Great Flail 'Elron' (3d6) (-11,+3) [+1]
              ------------------------------------------------------
              Cursed.

Min Level 12, Max Level 3, Generation chance 8, Power 21, 28.0 lbs
              Based on Berúthiel.

Comment

• Estie
                Veteran
                • Apr 2008

Cursed ones arent that rare. They are just bad and noone bothers with them, but "good" ones that arent really any good are very uncommon.

Comment

• krazyhades
                  Swordsman
                  • Jun 2013

Ah, I didn't realize. Because I don't preserve my randarts from game to game, I usually generate and peruse artifact.spo after death/victory. I feel like my games generate cursed artifacts with no drawback beyond negative to-hit/dam/AC less often than plain "good" (but functionally merely magical) artifacts.

Edit: Also, I've noticed that most games randart sets contain at least one (and often two or more) "artifact" boots of speed that, aside from having a purple name, differ not at all from the ego boots.
                  Last edited by krazyhades; February 7, 2014, 18:02.

Comment

• Estie
                    Veteran
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by krazyhades
                    Edit: Also, I've noticed that most games randart sets contain at least one (and often two or more) "artifact" boots of speed that, aside from having a purple name, differ not at all from the ego boots.
                    They have enough pool to get the speed (otherwise they would be junk compared to ego speed boots), but not much allowance for anything on top.
                    Thats why those boots above get created: 12 speed (awesome), 12 stealth (big bonus on top), aggravating (malus without which they would break the limit and not get created at all).

The best ones I have seen had something like +8 speed and +8 to a stat.
                    I wonder what Deathwreaker created on boot base would look like (afaik, impossible to happen with current randart algorithm).

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2007

I wonder what Deathwreaker created on boot base would look like (afaik, impossible to happen with current randart algorithm).
                      Feanor-based boots? Would those be even close to Feanor?

Comment

• Estie
                        Veteran
                        • Apr 2008

I believe Feanor has less power than Deathwreaker (but dont quote me on that); 12 speed and 12 stealth should be more valuable than what Feanor has, no ?
                        Last version I recall they had 15 speed and featherfall or somesuch.
                        I know of no reason why Feanor boots couldnt get rolled as boots; I assume they can (and become 8 speed 8 stat in the process or so).

Comment

• Derakon
                          Prophet
                          • Dec 2009

I believe Feanor has less power than Deathwreaker (but dont quote me on that); 12 speed and 12 stealth should be more valuable than what Feanor has, no ?
                          Last version I recall they had 15 speed and featherfall or somesuch.
                          I know of no reason why Feanor boots couldnt get rolled as boots; I assume they can (and become 8 speed 8 stat in the process or so).
                          Feanor has +15 speed, resistance to nexus, and activation for Haste Self. That activation is pretty powerful, especially since the recharge time isn't that unreasonable (200 turns).

That said, it's usually just an extra +5 speed over what you'd be wearing otherwise, which is great, but not the kind of game-changer that Deathwreaker is.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
                            Feanor has +15 speed, resistance to nexus, and activation for Haste Self. That activation is pretty powerful, especially since the recharge time isn't that unreasonable (200 turns).

That said, it's usually just an extra +5 speed over what you'd be wearing otherwise, which is great, but not the kind of game-changer that Deathwreaker is.
                            Deathwreaker used to be too heavy to get full blows with it. It also aggravates, so it isn't that useful, and it also isn't that big game changer unless you manage to get it early. MoD of Extra Attacks +2 can be very close to be as good as D is, or if you get lucky with bonuses even better if you play mage or priest (50% more blows).

That +5 to speed from body gear is actually quite big deal. It is usually enough to tip the scale to make new choices for rest of your gear. That is one of the reasons why +3 from Thalkettoth and +3 or +2 from few of the artifact cloaks and Trickery amulet also are big deals. They stack up freeing up a ring slot, and that is why even small speed boosts outside rings are big deal.

Comment

• Estie
                              Veteran
                              • Apr 2008

I wonder what the blows formula used to be; "too heavy for full blows" these days translates to "only the warrior wont get his last blow, everyone else is fine even without maxed str/dex".

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                                Veteran
                                • Jun 2007

Notice anything these have in common?

Code:
                                the Set of Gauntlets 'Uturumet' [3,+14] <+2>
                                --------------------------------------------
                                +2 intelligence, attack speed.
                                Provides resistance to fire, sound.
                                Prevents paralysis.  

When aimed, it causes you to breathe either cold or flames for 80 damage.
                                Takes 65 to 72 turns to recharge.

Min Level 47, Max Level 127, Generation chance 2, Power 289, 2.5 lbs
                                Based on Oromë.

the Ring of Power of Mendor <+2, +1>
                                ------------------------------------
                                +2 speed, attack speed.
                                Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold.
                                Sustains strength.
                                Grants telepathy.  Grants the ability to see invisible things.  
                                Radius 1 light.

When activated, it hastens you for 2d10+20 turns.
                                Takes 82 to 100 turns to recharge.

Min Level 65, Max Level 127, Generation chance 1, Power 380, 0.2 lbs
                                Based on Narya.

the Ring of Power 'Ascar' (+8,+6) <+2>
                                --------------------------------------
                                +2 wisdom, attack speed.
                                +10% to searching.
                                Provides resistance to lightning, cold, chaos, disenchantment.
                                Provides protection from fear.
                                Feather Falling.  Speeds regeneration.  Prevents paralysis.  Grants telepathy. 

When activated, it raises your intelligence at the expense of a random
                                attribute.
                                Takes 205 to 325 turns to recharge.

Min Level 78, Max Level 127, Generation chance 1, Power 488, 0.2 lbs
                                Based on Nenya.
                                (and, yes, these are all in the same game... which I'm re-playing right now. I just have to see how powerful this will make a Priest. Of course even if I find both rings, one of them will probably have to be swapped with a speed ring.)

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎