Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • malcontent
    Adept
    • Jul 2019

Check it out a crossbow with +20 shots. Heavy crossbow of power is now in the trash heap.

Unimpressive activation

b) the Light Crossbow 'Sorlin' (x4) (+6,+13) <+20, +1>
    Dropped by Kavlax the Many-Headed at 2050 feet (level 41)

+20 shooting speed.
    +1 shooting power.
    Provides resistance to Cold.
    Cannot be harmed by Acid, Fire.

When activated, it fires a line of light in all directions, each
    dealing 6d8 damage, which your device skill increases by 15% for
    an average of 31.0 damage.
    Takes 69 to 76 turns to recharge at your current speed.
    Your chance of success is 93.9%

Comment

• malcontent
      Adept
      • Jul 2019

Originally posted by malcontent
      Check it out a crossbow with +20 shots. Heavy crossbow of power is now in the trash heap.

Unimpressive activation

b) the Light Crossbow 'Sorlin' (x4) (+6,+13) <+20, +1>
      Dropped by Kavlax the Many-Headed at 2050 feet (level 41)

+20 shooting speed.
      +1 shooting power.
      Provides resistance to Cold.

When activated, it fires a line of light in all directions, each
      dealing 6d8 damage, which your device skill increases by 15% for
      an average of 31.0 damage.
      Takes 69 to 76 turns to recharge at your current speed.
      Your chance of success is 93.9%

Later that same game...

I found this. Emotionally, I like this one better, but pragmatically, the first one is still better (damage/turn).

w) the Light Crossbow of Vinen (x5) (+18,+20) <+1, +3, +4, +2>
      Dropped by Bert the Stone Troll at 2700 feet (level 54)

+1 constitution.
      +3 searching skill.
      +4 shooting speed.
      +2 shooting power.
      Provides immunity to Lightning.
      Provides resistance to Light, Nexus.
      Sustains wisdom.

Comment

• Jay
        Adept
        • Dec 2011

Finally found something to fill that Feather Falling slot...

the White Dragon Scale Mail 'Imlon' (-2) [14,+19] <+5, +3, +1>
        --------------------------------------------------------------
        +5 intelligence.
        +3 wisdom.
        +5 dexterity.
        +3 constitution.
        +3 speed.
        +1 light.
        Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold, poison, light, dark, sound,
        shards, nether, disenchantment.
        Provides protection from fear, blindness.
        Sustains intelligence.
        Feather Falling.

When activated, it restores all your stats.
        Takes 123 to 165 turns to recharge.
        Your chance of success is 89.5%
        Oh you icky things, don't you know you're driving your mamas and papas insane…

Comment

• Estie
          Veteran
          • Apr 2008

the Long Bow of Rhuorim (x5) (+19,+31) <+3, +4, +2>
          Found lying on the floor in a vault at 4850 feet (level 97)

+3 wisdom.
          +4 stealth.
          +2 shooting power.
          Slays evil creatures.
          Provides resistance to Acid, Light.
          Provides protection from confusion.
          Sustains dexterity, constitution.
          Speeds regeneration. Prevents paralysis.

When activated, it attempts to remove a curse from an item.
          Takes 201 to 223 turns to recharge at your current speed.
          Your chance of success is 82.9%

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

the Long Bow of Rhuorim (x5) (+19, +31)
            Slays evil creatures

That is crazy! 235 damage per shot with ordinary arrows. 435 with seeker arrows of wounding.

Comment

• Estie
              Veteran
              • Apr 2008

I dont know what the chances for "slay evil" on a bow are. I have seen the occasional branding bow, maybe 2 or 3 in dozens of games. This is the first time I have encontered a slay evil bow. Thankfully it also has good values for multiplier and damage, so a post on the braggart thread was in order.

Comment

• Grotug
                Veteran
                • Nov 2013

I would have posted damage infos for various arrows in my quiver as part of my braggart post had I found said launcher. As such, my Hobbit ranger throws pebbles in your direction in jealousy. And the launcher has +4 stealth, +3 Wisdom, two important sustains, and confusion protection. To have so much useful utility and ridiculous damage; I mean that is seriously bonkers. Well, I guess it makes up for the ring of Leren you found earlier (though as I scroll further down the thread I see you also got the 14d8 uber mace, which should honestly have a power rating of 1000). At least my ho-hum heavy crossbow I recently acquired on DL34 has +8 speed and slays dragons. What's the power rating of your launcher?
                Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Estie
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2008

The reason I didnt post damage numbers is that the bow was originally found by a rogue. However, I proceeded to play a ranger with the same randart set and here is the dump:

The highest damage vs evil I had was shy of 1200, you can see the damage of my last quiver in the dump, basically everything does 1k vs evil.

Edit: power is 289
                  Last edited by Estie; January 11, 2022, 14:44.

Comment

• Estie
                    Veteran
                    • Apr 2008

a) the Lance 'Ularu' (7d8) (+9,+27) <+4>
                    Found lying on the floor at 1650 feet (level 33)

+4 intelligence.
                    Slays dragons (powerfully).
                    Provides resistance to Light.
                    Sustains your life force. Blessed by the gods (combat bonuses for
                    holy casters).

Combat info:
                    2.8 blows/round.
                    With +3 STR and +0 DEX you would get 3.1 blows
                    With +0 STR and +2 DEX you would get 3.3 blows
                    Average damage/round: 744.1 vs dragons and 295.2 vs. others.

And yes, I am a paladin. Love it when the game gets cliche.

Comment

• Cryomaniac
                      Swordsman
                      • Jan 2022

Not that amazing as some other posts in this thread, but here's what I found in the Touhou mod:

Code:
                      The Green Dragon Scale Mail of Heart's Desire (-2) [30,+21] (+3 to speed) {SpWiChSl;PoLiHoNt;SiLv~Good~DtYk(Ch}        
                            Hard                                                                                                             
                      Score:273155        Item Attributes:                                                                                   
                                     It can be activated for...                                                                              
                      Great-Youkai   lightning bolt (4d8) every 5 turns                                                                      
                      Yuuka          ...if it is being worn.                                                                                 
                      LEVEL     27   It affects your wisdom.                                                                                 
                      EXP    11519   It affects your charisma.                                                                               
                      AU    120674   It affects your stealth.                                                                                
                      / ~== ![(]])   It affects your speed.                                                                                  
                      STR :     23   It sustains your charisma.                                                                              
                      INT :     22   It provides resistance to poison.                                                                       
                      WIS :     21   It provides resistance to light.                                                                        
                      DEX :     26   It provides resistance to holy energy.                                                                  
                      CON :     27   It provides resistance to nether and energy draining.                                                   
                      CHR :     26   It allows you to levitate.                                                                              
                      Cur AC   136   It allows you to see invisible monsters.                                                                
                      HP  410/ 410   It senses deities.                                                                                      
                      MP  113/ 113   It senses youkai.                                                                                       
                                     It senses lawfully aligned creatures.                                                                   
                                     It cannot be harmed by the elements.                                                                    
                                     [Press any key to continue]

Comment

• malcontent
                        Adept
                        • Jul 2019

Here is a bizarre item I found - it maps and lights an entire level - but I can't read any scrolls because of the -3 light :/

There are some other nice aspects to it, and some other not so nice aspects...

Code:
                        l) the Arkenstone of Gelwilda <+3, +5, +2, -3> (charging) {cursed}
                             Taken from a chest found at 2550 feet (level 51)

It paralyses you every now and then.
                             It poisons you from time to time.
                             +3 wisdom.
                             +5 searching skill.
                             +2 infravision.
                             -3 light.
                             Provides immunity to Fire.
                             Provides resistance to Nexus, Chaos.
                             Cannot be harmed by Fire.
                             Feather Falling.  Prevents teleportation.  
                             Intensity -3 light.

When activated, it lights and maps the entire level, sensing
                             objects.
                             Takes 107 to 210 turns to recharge at your current speed.
                             Your chance of success is 94.7%

Comment

• Estie
                          Veteran
                          • Apr 2008

Interesting item - presumably you could use it if you somehow got >3 light from elsewhere ?

Comment

• malcontent
                            Adept
                            • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Estie
                            Interesting item - presumably you could use it if you somehow got >3 light from elsewhere ?
                            Yeah, I would definitely consider it.

The "Prevents teleportation" aspect is also a bit unnerving - I've never intentionally played that way. I like carrying a few !PD with me, they are disposable, but I could probably live without them at this stage.

Comment

• Julian
                              Adept
                              • Apr 2021

Originally posted by malcontent
                              Here is a bizarre item I found - it maps and lights an entire level - but I can't read any scrolls because of the -3 light :/

There are some other nice aspects to it, and some other not so nice aspects...

Code:
                              l) the Arkenstone of Gelwilda <+3, +5, +2, -3> (charging) {cursed}
                                   Taken from a chest found at 2550 feet (level 51)

It paralyses you every now and then.
                                   It poisons you from time to time.
                                   +3 wisdom.
                                   +5 searching skill.
                                   +2 infravision.
                                   -3 light.
                                   Provides immunity to Fire.
                                   Provides resistance to Nexus, Chaos.
                                   Cannot be harmed by Fire.
                                   Feather Falling.  Prevents teleportation.  
                                   Intensity -3 light.

When activated, it lights and maps the entire level, sensing
                                   objects.
                                   Takes 107 to 210 turns to recharge at your current speed.
                                   Your chance of success is 94.7%
                              That’s a swap item; you wear it to take the stairs, use it, then forget about it until you’re going down again. (With the option of swapping for fights against big fire breathers.)

Comment

• Cryomaniac
                                Swordsman
                                • Jan 2022

Yet another item from the Touhou mod, this time more risky to use:

Code:
                                X Ribbon of C('i)adan [1,+6] (+4 to speed) {+SpCnChIf;*Co;InLv[T(Cn}                                                   
                                      Hard                                                                                                             
                                Score:174285        Item Attributes:                                                                                   
                                               It affects your constitution.                                                                           
                                Moon-Rabbit    It affects your charisma.                                                                               
                                Udonge         It affects your infravision.                                                                            
                                LEVEL     13   It affects your speed.                                                                                  
                                EXP      438   It sustains your constitution.                                                                          
                                AU      4704   It provides immunity to cold.                                                                           
                                | ~  "~(()))   It provides resistance to otherworldly horrors.                                                         
                                STR :     22   It allows you to levitate.                                                                              
                                INT :     15   It prevents teleportation.                                                                              
                                WIS :     13   It cannot be harmed by the elements.
                                Randart names can sometimes be weird in my translation, I'll be looking into that later; anyway, +4 CON/CHR/speed, an immunity, insanity resistance... and anti-teleportation. That was one of early game quest rewards, by the way.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎