Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scud
    Swordsman
    • Jan 2011

Historically I've got with the stock artefacts, but over the last few months I've racked up at a guess 150m XP while playing with randarts and that's the first proper cursed item I've found.

Now CL31/DL33 and I've found one more...

The Broad Sword of Bormeneng (2d5) (+10,+14) <+2>
    +2 wisdom.
    +10% to searching.
    Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
    Sustains wisdom.
    Blessed by the gods.

That bad boy would dish out 67.4 pts a round at my current STR/DEX.

Looking at a few of my obituaries it appears that randart acquisition doesn't really kick in until CL31/32 and approaching DL40, so I'm not actually that far behind but I haven't got the means to survive encounters with anything significant. Given my current vulnerability I'm reduced to mugging trolls and the occasional ancient dragon until something useful turns up.

Ah well.

Comment

• fph
      Veteran
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by scud
      Looking at a few of my obituaries it appears that randart acquisition doesn't really kick in until CL31/32 and approaching DL40, so I'm not actually that far behind but I haven't got the means to survive encounters with anything significant. Given my current vulnerability I'm reduced to mugging trolls and the occasional ancient dragon until something useful turns up.
      The probability of finding an artifact depends on DL only and not on CL. So if you wish to find artifacts soon you should probably dive faster. Just watch out for out-of-depth Drolems and you'll be fine (famous last words).
      --
      Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• scud
        Swordsman
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by fph
        The probability of finding an artifact depends on DL only and not on CL. So if you wish to find artifacts soon you should probably dive faster. Just watch out for out-of-depth Drolems and you'll be fine (famous last words).
        The problem was that I had (and still have) such huge resistance holes that getting down to 'randart levels' was a real problem. Found randart ethereal slippers +9 speed, which compensates for the holes and the lack of decent weaponry.

Have found four other artefacts between DL34-38, all of them very average, but have now broken the magic DL40 barrier and am stat-gaining nicely. Just *destroyed* Scatha thanks to some nice anti-dragon arrows, my biggest scalp so far.

But it's been a struggle: has taken me 1.5m turns to get to CL34, which is half my usual speed. Dave the Conjurer better be worth the effort!
        Last edited by scud; March 9, 2013, 05:35.

Comment

• scud
          Swordsman
          • Jan 2011

Dave the Mage was struggling with those pesky unique angels until he retrained as an archer, allowing him to drop *everything* as far down as Lungorthin before they got within 50' of him...

Which is just as well, because he still melees like a girl.

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

Angband mages are a bit counterintuitive for many people, since they are a lot better at melee and ranged combat than most fantasy mages, and comparatively worse at using magic to blast things. Of course, they're still the worst melee/ranged class in the game (and one of the two best blaster classes); the main point is that that doesn't make melee or ranged combat completely unviable.

Hell, back in the day mages primarily did their damage through melee/ranged combat, because a) their attack spells were much more expensive (and Raal's was the last dungeon spellbook instead of the first), and b) they had Globe of Invulnerability in the late game.

Comment

• scud
              Swordsman
              • Jan 2011

It's the fortuitous pairing of...

HTML Code:
              b) the Short Bow 'Balach' (x5) (+10,+18) <+3>
                   Dropped by a Lesser Balrog at 3450 feet (level 69).

+3 strength, dexterity, speed, shooting power.
                   +15% to searching.
                   Provides resistance to chaos.
                   Provides protection from fear.
                   Slows your metabolism.  

r) the Wicker Shield 'Lumon' [2,+12] <+2> {RAILGUN!}
                   Found lying on the floor in a vault at 3500 feet (level 70).

+2 shooting speed.
              Don't have any Holy Mights to hand, but a 3d4 +17 Slay Evil = 937.2 v evil, 669.3 v others. Dave still has to hit the target, of course, which doesn't come naturally to him. Keeping him in arrows is also a problem, as he can fire off a hundred of them (with a 35% loss rate) in *very* short time.

Also has the following, which is the fastest randart I've ever seen and has a tasty heal too. Guinosse is good for you?

HTML Code:
              a) the Two-Handed Great Flail 'Guinosse' (6d6) (+10,+8) <+14>
                   Found lying on the floor in a vault at 3850 feet (level 77).

+14 speed.

When activated, it restores 1200 hit points, heals cut damage, and
                   cures stunning, poisoning, blindness, and confusion.
                   Takes 646 to 871 turns to recharge at your current speed.
                   Your chance of success is 98.1%

Combat info:
                   4.0 blows/round.
                   Average damage/round: 195.6.
              The to hit / to dam values can be jazzed up a bit but it obviously doesn't do enough damage for the end game, although nothing else I've currently got goes higher than 230ish v evil.

This is the first time I've really played mages and priests consecutively, and I have to say I rarely use magely magic in combat: not enough damage to monsters and too much damage to pick-ups. There's certainly nothing in the orb of draining class. I do appreciate the selective banishment and stone to mud, though.

EDIT: where did that colour come from?
              Last edited by scud; March 13, 2013, 07:49.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                Prophet
                • Apr 2008

+2 shooting speed on a shield sounds silly... this is still possible in 3.4?
                PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                  +2 shooting speed on a shield sounds silly... this is still possible in 3.4?
                  IMO shots/blows should be only with jewelry and weapon and just maybe gloves, might only with weapon (might is kinda like extra dice in melee-weapons, nothing affects that). Anything else having those feels wrong.

Comment

• Derakon
                    Prophet
                    • Dec 2009

Off-weapon bonuses to blows/shots are considered very powerful in 3.4 and thus shouldn't happen at all often. I'm curious what standart that shield is based on and how likely to be generated it was. I wouldn't be surprised if the game considers it to be on a similar tier as Ringil.

Comment

• scud
                      Swordsman
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Derakon
                      I'm curious what standart that shield is based on and how likely to be generated it was.
                      *duplicates savefile and commits suicide*

Code:
                      the Wicker Shield 'Lumon' [2,+12] <+2>
                      --------------------------------------
                       A light circular frame of wood surrounding fine-grained wickerwork.

+2 shooting speed.

Min Level 38, Max Level 127, Generation chance 12, Power 216, 3.0 lbs
                      Based on Gil-galad.
                      *pokes around other randarts*

Hmmm, my 'Ringil' is an as yet unfound armour that looks rather underwhelming. There doesn't appear to be a melee superweapon, but this crossbow should be fun. Looks like I might be pincushioning Morgy...

HTML Code:
                      the Heavy Crossbow of Tilthar (x7) (+8,+16) <+3, +3, -1>
                      --------------------------------------------------------
                       +3 strength, dexterity, charisma, stealth, infravision, shooting power.
                       Provides resistance to cold, light, nether.
                       Sustains intelligence.
                       Prevents paralysis.  Sustains your life force.  

Min Level 55, Max Level 127, Generation chance 1, Power 353, 20.0 lbs
                      Based on Durin.
                      What does that '-1' at the end refer to?

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by scud
                        *duplicates savefile and commits suicide*

[CODE]
                        the Heavy Crossbow of Tilthar (x7) (+8,+16) <+3, +3, -1>
                        --------------------------------------------------------
                        +3 strength, dexterity, charisma, stealth, infravision, shooting power.
                        Provides resistance to cold, light, nether.
                        Sustains intelligence.
                        Prevents paralysis. Sustains your life force.

Min Level 55, Max Level 127, Generation chance 1, Power 353, 20.0 lbs
                        Based on Durin.
                        What does that '-1' at the end refer to?
                        Also, why didn't it merge two equal +3 bonuses? All multi-PVAL items like Trickery amulet I have seen show one value if they match. Looks like spoiler-creation for those has some parsing bug.

If you keep randarts and then enable debug-mode and create Durin, does it create that randart? Durin would be 101, so 0 (for beginning count) 101^aC.

Comment

• scud
                          Swordsman
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                          If you keep randarts and then enable debug-mode and create Durin, does it create that randart? Durin would be 101, so 0 (for beginning count) 101^aC.
                          If I 'create' that crossbow it displays the attributes as '(x7) (+8,+16) <+3>'.

Looking at the artifact.spo it appears that a lot of them have superfluous modifier values which aren't displayed 'in game'.

How strange.

Comment

• scud
                            Swordsman
                            • Jan 2011

That crossbow – should I find it – will be very handy with a quiverful of Holy Mights...

Comment

• scud
                              Swordsman
                              • Jan 2011

Shouldn't have generated the artifact.spo file. Or perhaps I should.

Looked at the things waiting to be discovered and decided there was absolutely no way I was going to be able to juggle melee capability / CON / ESP / resists.

Shift-Q.

Comment

• scud
                                Swordsman
                                • Jan 2011

HTML Code:
                                a) the Main Gauche of Celen (2d5) (+12,+24) <+4>
                                     Dropped by Feagwath, the Undead Sorcerer at 2950 feet (level 59).

e) the Elfstone of Cirim <+4>
                                     Dropped by Kham˚l, the Black Easterling at 2950 feet (level 59).

p) the Amulet of Cirin <+4>
                                     Found lying on the floor in a vault at 2700 feet (level 54).

v) the Flail of Serim (3d6) (+13,+16) <+3>
                                     Found lying on the floor at 1950 feet (level 39).
                                I might not have noticed if I hadn't been wearing Cirin and Serim when I found Cirim and Celen.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎